The Lone Ranger (2013)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Goonie, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

First look at The Lone Ranger and Tonto:

[​IMG]

2. Wolfie138

Wolfie138 Well-Known Member

he's just come from the dry cleaners i guess, given how clean he is.

3. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Get ready for a peyote laced Tonto who will be taking trips to the spirit world every 5 minutes. That said, I kind of like they way they look.

4. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Johny De...uh, Tonto: "Kimosabe, how you get suit so clean?"

5. aelynn000

aelynn000 Well-Known Member

I feel like this shot will be right before a final showdown. They've had time to regroup and plan something and here they are ready to head into action.

Honestly, mainly because I can't imagine Depp will be in warpaint ( which i don't like ) the entire movie, and yes, the Ranger looks way too clean.

Just another rant, I can't stand seeing people say he looks like Jack just because he has long hair and a bandana. Is he supposed to have a buzz cut? The man could decide to grow his hair long and grow out facial hair on his own accord and people would probably accuse him of 'going of the deep and end thinking he is becoming jack sparrow'. Don't get me wrong, I love Pirates and Jack but I think it's unfortunate that it's such a strong character that people feel the need to compare everything else to it. It's as stupid as saying 'his voice sounds the same'. *sigh*

Regardless, I don't like westerns, I don't like Armie Hammer and I know nothing about the Lone Ranger but I'll be seeing it anyways. So +1 for them on casting Depp who makes everything at least entertaining to watch. And who is, btw, of Cherokee heritage.

6. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

:facepalm

So no Native Americans were available to play the role, and the casting director decided the only solution was Johnny Depp in white (warpaint) face.

:facepalm

PASS ON THIS!

7. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I was thinking the same thing. The Native Americans should be raising hell about this but don't seem to be. I know they went after Disney for Pocahontas when it came out. I'm pretty sure they'd find a few Native Americans if they wanted but they'd rather over pay Depp and use his name as a draw for crowds. This movie already looks pretty bad.

8. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

That was my first thought. I mean, maybe he'll be good, but, come on. They couldn't find ANY Native American to play the role?

9. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

Not enthused. :confused

10. sparrowed

sparrowed Well-Known Member

11. brutalmagic

brutalmagic New Member

I do understand the general feeling of not casting a native american for the role of Tonto, but come on its a movie.

Its going to be full of historical inaccuracies anyway such as speech patterns etc..

I say hold judgement until we see the movie and enjoy it for what it is, a no thinking pop corn movie.

12. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

13. jarvis

jarvis Sr Member

Depp's grandmother was Cherokee, does that count?
    [​IMG]

14. aelynn000

This.

Personally, I can't think of a prominent Native American actor that would assist Armie Hammer's casting ( a relative unknown ) in bringing in money for a high budget Hollywood action flick.

It was almost shelved because Verbinski had the budget set too high for how he wanted to make the movie. Hiring another relative unknown so some people are 'okay with it' would not bode well for the gross.

We all know it. For this generation, and this type of movie, the audience draw is already small in comparison to the money it needs to make. Having Depp in it ( who has a 98% chance of giving an entertaining performance ) is their biggest draw.

Oh...just wanted to add this... thoughts?

15. Galactifan

Galactifan Sr Member

Maybe that's Depp's costume from the new 21 Jump Street movie?

16. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Yeah, I know it's just a movie and all, but the notion of "We have to stick a big name in it so we can justify the big expense and include a ton of 'splosions and CGI" is, to me, the problem.

Make a lower budget film and put in better actors. That's not to say Depp is bad or anything. I'm sure he'll turn in a watchable performance as he usually does. But still, it's just more of the risk-averse BS that irritates me about Hollywood.

17. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

How much Cherokee? Full blood or even remotely close to it? He might be 1/16th, but how many 1/16th Cherokee were there at that time period?

18. aelynn000

I think it's kind of cool they used a relative unknown for the main character and one of the biggest names in Hollywood to portray the sidekick. Even if they didn't hire a full fledged Native American, they considered the role of the character very important to have someone like Depp fill it ( Plus the money yada yada yada ) and to have an audience invest in that character.

Would people be happier if they did cast a Native American who nobody knew and nobody cared to go see? Who because of their relative anonymity, made the character of Tonto have less of an impact with general audiences? You'd have the crowd like the ones complaining here who would be happier ( of which whom maybe the older Lone Ranger fans would still pay to see it, but I doubt those new to it would ), but for the general audiences the fact is there is less appeal.

19. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Good lord. It's one photo and the hater train rolls into town full steam. WOW. :)

It feels like the Prometheus thread in here.

I don't think Depp has any pirates in his family, does he? How about people who sell books? Or lizards? I don't think he was related to John Dillinger, and I doubt very seriously he has any old english detectives in his lineage. How about killer barbers who liked to sing?

20. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

dressed as immaculately as that he looks more like the loan ranger, offering excellent rates of interest on loans taken out over a 5 year period with a fixed 12.3% APR, free sheriff badge with every application

Shylaah likes this.
  21. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Can white people be pirates? Yes. Can white people sell books? Yes. Can white people sell lizards? Yes. Can white people be full blooded Native Americans? BZZZZZZZZZT.

And there's the crux of the issue.

22. aelynn000

Depp also wasn't British.

Though, that he is an invention made by a very creative man...I guess that's debatable. :lol (but at least he got hands).

Wasn't Sean Penn cast as a homosexual in Milk? Brad Pitt as a Jew?

AND HEY! I've just now realized that they cast an AUSTRALIAN to play a CANADIAN as Wolverine!!! But...but...there are so many good Canadian actors!! Why ignore the stars of my country!? D: Technically speaking, Depp has Native heritage and is an American... so he's closer to Tonto than Hugh Jackman is to Wolverine. :lol

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  23. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

I'd just like to see the Ranger in a more "casual" outfit rather than the suit he has on. At least it's not the baby blue tights that Clayton Moore wore though.

I'm sure Depp will provide another entertaining performance, but I would have liked to have seen Adam Beach (Wind Talkers) take on the role of Tonto.

24. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

There are white British people.

Tonto is an invention of a man, and the invention is of a Native American, not a white person. A distinct, core, essential part of his character.

Sean Penn may very well be homosexual.

Australian is a citizenship, of which anyone of any heritage could potentially be.

But a white man can't be a full blooded Native American. You might as well start putting black face on white actors for roles intended to be black. The only exception to the case would be "Tropic Thunder" and that's because it is the very parody Hollywood and why this is wrong.

25. aelynn000

I really don't think the amount of 'native blood' in measurements is a fair casting specification. It's not like they put Toby McGuire in there as Tonto. I feel like Depp's heritage is reflected in his features, the dark eyes and hair, the tan skin, defined nose and bold facial structure ( and seemingly everlasting youth ). Is he full fledged Native American? No. But I wouldn't look at him and say " OH WOW! That is the whitest white guy ever trying to play a Native American! That's crazy, what are they thinking?! "

I also really think that this blew out of proportion way too fast. On a positive note, I hope Disney releases some more stuff in the near future for 'damage control'!! :lol

Again, it all comes down to the results. Someone suggested Adam Beach... given everything else I don't care about or know about for Lone Ranger, you could put that guy in there and I wouldn't see it and I'm sure thousands of other people wouldn't either.

The the two evils are upsetting people who want the actor of Tonto to be full Native American or having a big budget movie completely flop, the lesser of the two for Hollywood is the latter.

Honestly, everyone complaining, when Halle Berry, who is half African American, was cast as Storm, who is a full African American woman... did you put up the same argument?

26. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

To me, Storm should have been Iman. I didn't like Halle Berry's version of Storm AT ALL!

Seriously, this woman doesn't age!
    [​IMG]

27. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

If a movie is going to flop because a particular actor isn't in it, then I think you have a much bigger problem with the movie itself rather than the casting. If the only reason to put people in a seat is by who is in the movie, then you clearly have a problem with the concept and script of the movie.

As for Halle Berry and Storm, at least she is clearly not white, though of mixed race. I didn't care for her cast as Storm, nor her acting in the movie, nor the script for her, but at least she wasn't a Nordic looking person playing a black woman. (And Storm is full African, she was found there, born there, lived there, and I doubt she ever got her Visa unless Charles implanted a few suggestions in some border agents)

28. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I could buy her as Storm any day.

29. Goonie

Goonie Sr Member

^Now I think I know why Bowie had a heart attack.

30. aelynn000

Oh. I did a quick Google and it said Storm's Mom married an American journalist and had Storm in Manhattan. >_> *shrug*

I agree with the faults of the movie if they need to rely on casting, but before anyone decides to see the movie there are too many factors on the surface. The overall concept and script aren't what get people into seats. They are the biggest parts of what make a good movie, but you can't judge either of those by a trailer or promotional images. What people usually consider in advance...

Do I like this style of movie or its story?
    Westerns aren't too hot nowadays.

Am I going to like these characters?
    Usually if you don't like the actors, there's a high chance that the answer to this is no.

Do I want to see these actors?
    Hardly anyone knows who Armie Hammer is, a random albeit good NA actor for Tonto would be in the same category. And then if they hired a superstar for the Lone Ranger and casted an unknown as Tonto, I'm sure there would be debate on that too, with those considering the casting of his role as minor and unimportant leaving him to be portrayed as 'that Native sidekick', by someone that the masses don't care to see.

I guess I just keep repeating myself. Out of the stars that draw an audience, I think Depp is probably the most suited for the role and they needed something to make this movie marketable to the masses.

In the end, I think having Depp as Tonto will not be a decision they'll regret. I'm presuming that the movie will be moderately entertaining ( I don't like westerns ) and that a lot of its gross is going to be from older Lone Ranger fans or current Depp fans. Take Depp out of that equation and your biggest draw is older Lone Ranger fans and fans of westerns...I can't speak on the size of the Lone Ranger fanbase but from the most recent box office results, westerns don't draw much ( HAHA no pun intended ) unless it has talking animals in it... and even Rango didn't do that well. In fact, I'd say they're almost a gamble to begin with. Rango did 245 ww, Cowboys and Aliens did 100 and Jesse James did 15.

The only downside to the decision of casting him is the handful of people complaining 'but he's not a real Native American'. If that's enough to turn someone away from the movie if they had been a fan in the past, then I guess they weren't much of a fan and that's one less person from the smaller demographic that they're relying on audience from, but overall I don't think the negative thoughts of those people will be enough to hinder what mediocre success ( I REALLY doubt westerns, can you tell? ) the movie may have.

31. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Depp's maternal great-grandmother, Minnie, was a full-blooded Cherokee and Depp also has Cherokee ancestry on his father's side.

More than "just good enough" for Native American status by any Tribal counsil.

Move on.

Doug

32. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

Well, just look at the star trek series', they had an Englishman playing a French captain, a hyspanic playing a Native American 1st officer and a journalist playing a Cardassian tailor!

33. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

I just remember how up at arms people were because M. Night Shayamalan didn't cast an Indian kid to portray a cartoon character that is from a pretend universe which has different nationalities from the real world.

34. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

So he'd be 1/8th at best? How many 1/8th Cherokee were there during the period this movie is set? If he looked more significantly NA then maybe, but he's still at best only 1/8 and there are plenty of other NA actors who would look the part better.

And nope.

35. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Pahhhleeeze! :rolleyes

How would you know how many 1/8th there were in that time period? More than just a few.

Again... move on.

Doug

36. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Just having an avatar of one of my favorite actors won't buy you any mercy.

37. aelynn000

So Kerr,
    Are you going to be in the crowd that is angry about the casting, still goes to see it and then still complains about it afterward? Or are you just not going to see it because the casting bothers you so much? Just curious.

Everyone else,
    What do you think about the mention that the movie is more based 'around' Tonto? What I'm thinking is that it's going to follow them but definitely put a spin on things...focusing on both, but giving the prominence to Tonto... seeing his reaction to things the Lone Ranger does. The way he works into the Lone Rangers plans, or changes the plans mid-action in favour of a better result and then the LR feeling all proud over said result and Tonto just smiling and nodding. From what I've read, Tonto ( which apparently actually can be translated to idiot or fool ) was portrayed originally as a comedic relief.

I have no idea how the actual show went and no interest in watching it...but I feel like it would be a pretty fun and funny idea for the film. I've always liked feeling like I could see behind the scenes with what the other characters do to influence certain outcomes.

I have a feeling this concept will just throw more people into a rage, however, but yet would be another reason why they cast a big-shot name for the role.

38. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Don't make me send for Wu.

Doug

39. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

No, I wont' bother seeing it. I'm not big into Westerns.

As for Tonto, I believe the name he originally gave the Lone Ranger, "Keemosabe" actually means "Horse's *" So, he was kind of a dick.

40. wannab

wannab Sr Member

If Native Americans consider Depp as their own (according to their standards) why should anyone else? Non-issue.

Doug

41. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Tonto, jump on it, jump on it! Sorry I couldn't resist

42. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Now if you don't want to see it based on premise, genre, or you think it'll just plain suck -- fine. Not seeing it based on some bogus bloodline casting argument, that is petty.

Personally I'm in the wait and see camp. If reviews are decent and it looks like it has some appeal then I'll see it (eventually). If it is in the "Wild Wild West" range of story and acting, I'm out with extreme prejudice. Don't bore me, or feed me icing with no cake, that is all I ask.

Doug

43. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

Looks fine to me. Not everyone in Tombstone is walking around dusty and dirty and it doesn't detract from the quality of the film.

44. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Frankly I'm less offended by the idea of Johnny Depp playing Tonto than I am the rather weedy and effete looking dude sporting the black mask.

"Armie".

45. Krull

Krull Sr Member

+1 really,really pathetic to be honest.

It's a MOVIE for chrissakes just be happy they got somebody entertaining in it so it might be half way decent :behave

Given Depp's quirky nature I'll go see this,sure it's not the Lone Ranger I saw as a kid but it should be fun,or it could suck I'll have to wait for a trailer :lol

46. terryr

terryr Sr Member

What offends me is that it looks comedic.

I want an olde tyme cowboy movee, not POTC on horses.

Shylaah likes this.
  47. azheat01

azheat01 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I soooo want this to be a good movie, I hate to admit it, but I actually like "The Legend of the Lone Ranger" with Klinton Spillsbury. My dad got me to like the The Lone Ranger as he has been a fan his whole life. I actually want to make a costume based on this image:

[​IMG]

I almost attempted this last Halloween.

48. wannab

wannab Sr Member

I'm betting on a Sherlock Holmes type vibe/treatment (shudder). I agree with you wanting that old time vibe for this, but it wouldn't fly with today's demo.

Doug

49. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Yes, I liked that one!

50. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

I can't wait not to see this.

I'll wait until the trailer comes out before making final judgement. But honestly...how could this be a good idea? It's just a continuation of the same old trend Hollywood has been following the past couple of years (take a corny TV show from the mid-century and turn it into an "epic" dramatic Blockbuster), and I haven't been impressed by a single example yet.

But like I said, I'll give it a chance and wait for the trailers.

I'd rather not even get started on the Native American thing, I don't have the energy for another one of those debates. The movies are hard on those folks...