Done / Completed The Lego Movie - Batman's cowl

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

coofunkcurly

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Re: The Lego Movie - Batman's cowl *ANY 3D MODELERS INTERESTED IN TEAMING UP?*

Sounds good, Laurent. Excited to see what you come up with. Keep in mind that the movie Lego Batman is slightly different than some of the past Lego Batman toys. Or I've been told anyway. Just something to look out for when purchasing a toy. Wish I had more pics but sadly I do not.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

teragon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well I went through a few trailers and got one ok frame I just cleaned up. Not perfect but better than nothing ! I'll see if they have any lego set "lego the movie", I'm sure it exists, but the lego website won't load for me.
sidecowl4.png

myersfarms

I can see what I can do to model it. Would be a fun project :D I don't know how to convert 3D models to CAD though so that might be an issue... Have a lot of props I have modeled that I need milled but that is stopping me >.<
I don't know if this would be of any help but I have a number of programs that allow me to convert various file types. I'd be happy to take a look at some of them. Shoot me a pm and I'll see what I can do. Maybe you could help me in return by explaining to me how to have something I've designed be milled? I know it's got to be better than having parts printed in metal through Shapeways, lol.
Myers' Farms

CmdCtrlEsc

I'm not sure why, but my response from yesterday never got posted. I already have a pretty accurate 3D model of the cowl that I can covert to pretty much any format you need. If you're interested in a backup modeler or another contestant, feel free to PM me for some pics? Or I can just add a link to the thread. Let me know.

teragon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you do have better references pics than what's available on the net right now, they'd be welcome. I have a first draw, but I need more pics to correct it (mainly the eyebrows) and clean it. Apparently no "lego the movie" set available here feature batman, and it's impossible to find a DC lego set at the moment too.

cowl.png

coofunkcurly

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's actually an excellent start! :thumbsup Let me see what I can dig up for pics. I would say maybe the brow should be a bit softer but I wouldn't be surprised if it changes a bit depending on the scene.
Also just had another member PM saying he had a go at a model based on a minifig he has. So he will be emailing me shortly.

In the meantime everyone can feel free to post pics they might have to help this along.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and almost forgot - best not to optimize the model for 3d printing with thin walls, etc. In the end I will need a solid model for milling. ;)

coofunkcurly

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm not sure why, but my response from yesterday never got posted. I already have a pretty accurate 3D model of the cowl that I can covert to pretty much any format you need. If you're interested in a backup modeler or another contestant, feel free to PM me for some pics? Or I can just add a link to the thread. Let me know.
Sorry just seeing this now. I think it's because of your zero post count meaning your post needed to be approved by a mod.
Feel free to add any pics of your model here in the thread. Thanks!

CmdCtrlEsc

Ah! I see - thanks! Anyway, below is a quickie render I did of the fully smoothed (hi-poly) version. I can back it all the way out to the low-poly starting mesh as well, not sure what you'd be needing. I can generate some more pics & different angles later tonight if you'd like.

teragon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, not sure I can compete with CmdCtrlEsc's sweet model, but I'll finish mine and leave it here, so Coofunkcurly has several models to choose from.

Question for you Clinton : do you want it filled (mouth, eyes and bottom closed) for the milling ? Or just leave it open like now ?

edit : progress
cowl_3.png

Last edited:

Uridium

Ignore.

Sorry, got ahead of myself. keep up the good work guys. This will be awesome once its complete!

CmdCtrlEsc

Well, not sure I can compete with CmdCtrlEsc's sweet model...
T
Thanks, teragon, but don't give me too much credit - I already had the model from another project. FWIW, yours is coming together WAY faster than anything of mine ever does. :)

coofunkcurly

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks Teragon and CmdCtrlEsc!

Here is another pic that CmdCtrlEsc sent me but was having a hard time posting to this thread:
comp.jpg

Do we think the cowl has been changed a bit for the movie? Should the movie version be our goal or does that even matter?

- - - Updated - - -

do you want it filled (mouth, eyes and bottom closed) for the milling ? Or just leave it open like now ?

edit : progress
View attachment 288055
Yes mouth, eyes and bottom should be closed off.

coofunkcurly

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Texture won't really come through on the milled mdf and then the vacform. Well unless the plastic I use is textured. Which it likely will be. Sharp details will soften up as well so don't be concerned with those too much.

Greeky04

Bluemiragestudio is selling life size batarangs atm that would go well with this cowl if it happens, which I hope it does.

SampleName

I can't believe I hadn't seen this thread. I REALLY want to see how this turns out. Might be interested in an adult sized one.