The LARGE Terminator CPU Chip project - needs a builder.

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by ONEYE, Dec 27, 2011.

1. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Here are the dimensions for the one that was made long ago in a secret undisclosed location. The mold is gone and the only one that was made has been lost (in time/space).

Terminator Chip pictures by polsnulspace - Photobucket

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

I've dreamt about having this piece for years now and if someone would like to take this project onboard, I'd be most grateful and I would definitely take one.

Oh and just to clarify....I didn't actually create the above image. I've just had it lurking in my photobucket for Gawd knows how long! :angel

3. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

Just wanna draw your attention to the following........

[​IMG]

Note the cut out sections on the flange(s) in comparison to the above image.

ONEYE likes this.
  4. b26354

b26354 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ONEYE likes this.
  5. Szyntax

Szyntax Well-Known Member

What's your price range?

ONEYE likes this.
  6. PepMaster

PepMaster Sr Member

I made one of these a long time ago, but it was done with styrofoam blocks, PVC pipe, and big washers.

ONEYE likes this.
  7. sskunky

sskunky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll ask my prop guy when I'm back home from the family.

ONEYE likes this.
  8. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sounds like a cool project. Because I'm far better in making paper props, I have a question: Would it make any sense to build the parts of this chip replica from cardboard and spray it with car paint? Of course, nothing cheap looking, but as screen accurate as possible. And of course, if you lift it up, it would be very light, but maybe it's good enough for display?? What do you think?

ONEYE likes this.
  9. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

I'd be willing to pay........a reasonable amount of money for a quality made 1:1 scale replica of this piece.

10. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

That would be superb. Thank you kindly!:thumbsup

11. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Looks like an easy build since you only need a few molds, 4 different blocks, one for the washer pieces and the tubes (tubes would be easier to source) Problem is the casting, 30 blocks 114 washers and the tube. It would be an expensive process just to take the time to cast em. :eek

12. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

I wonder if there is something out there that could be used, off the shelf? Something to bring the cost down?

13. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Wood? Foam Board Insulation? Dowels? PVC pipes?

14. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of the chips that fit inside :) Perhaps they could all be made hollow, one side without a face and then filled in. And then one face could be left open for a sliding tray? I'm tempted to give it a shot. I could just use acrylic pieces, laser cut.

15. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

Forgive my inexperience but my first ever idea for this was cut down 3x3" fence posts, wooden dowels and some washers.:confused

16. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

I made one for a friend maybe 16 years ago now. What I used for the black box's were off the shelf acrylic displays from Chinatown, PVC for the pipe and drilled out washers for the silver bits. To set the PVC pipe in place took a simple press in cap end and some PVC glue. Not too sure how it was to scale but it looked near identical based off a couple freeze frames on VHS.

To do it as a quality replica would be simple yet the start up costs high. A master of one black box, molded and two gang molds of 3 made, do a brush up of mild plastic and use some expanding foam as filler or a hard foam as a backing to that coat of brushed in plastic (similar to rotocasting but with hard expanding foam), sheet styrene cut the diameter of the box wall to use as a washer inside the box's for every connection of PVC pipe to alleviate the pressure stress of said pipe and mounts, the slotted nuts may need to be drilled/milled out.

It is a lot of work but a simple project.

17. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

I wouldn't be shy in paying for someone's efforts here. As you said Rob, this is a very simple design but the time, effort and materials involved in pulling off a quality replica wouldn't come cheap.

I really need to get that back room in my garage converted into a little workshop so I can start a tinkerin' and a putterin'......:rolleyes

18. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

I can make one, $500 bucks :)

19. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

When anyone pops off a number like this, I tend to immediately not give it much consideration. (Unless I have history w/that person.) Now, if you built one, showed us photos, spoke a little bit about the construction, even showed in progress shots of the work, then I would be able to say, yes, I'd pay that much for it, or not.

No offense.

20. Szyntax

Actually, that number probably isn't far off for a quality build. As you point out theres a lot of parts. One mold could be used for the cube then the holes drilled based upon the part. Rotomolded cubes would save weight and material. The costs could easily go up from that point however.

If you don't have the funds I'd echo what someone else posted, blue foam insulation and some PVC. That would be an inexpensive version.

21. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

I personally wouldn't mind what it was made of or what it weighed......just as long as the finished product looked screen accurate and was built sturdy enough.

22. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

That $500 quote would be on the low side IMO. There is a ton of work involved in casting and building, I know it is a very simple design but lots of pieces.
    The way I would build it so it was sturdy and repeatable easily is make 4 block molds for the blocks, there would be 4 different ones. Make these with 1" steps on all tube openings, makes it easy to assemble and strong. I would make this out of MDF so the beveled edges would be easy on a router table.Then you just need to source the correct PVC or ABS pipe, closest I could find with a quick search was 1.30 not 1.25" so if your ok with the slightly larger tube than it makes it easy. You'll need approx 20 feet of pipe, 59 pieces at 4" long. The washers can be done on a lathe, say 6 to mold still makes for 19 times or casting.
    Making the masters and molds should only take a few nights but the casting process would be painfully slow for even one build even with multiple molds.

23. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

You would when it came time to pay shipping to your part of the world unless someone on your side of the pond took the project on.

ONEYE likes this.
  24. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

Sssshhhhhhh.....I'm trying to ignore that part for now!:confused:lol

25. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

26. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

27. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

.05" works out to just under 1/16" so you would only notice if you took calipers to it. And as long as it is only two layers think you should only need three blocks: Corner, edge, and middle.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  28. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Ok one less mold more casting, I was going for 2 molds for the middle pieces as there are more of them. And 1/16" makes a diff to some people. Regardless I was outlining how I "would" do it, not really interested in this amount of work in casting.

ONEYE and sskunky like this.
  29. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Finhead

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  30. sskunky

sskunky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My prop guy is going to price this up. If there is enough interest and the price is right then he will probably continue. He said that he will make this properly... No half baked version. He will machine the rings and hollow cast the blocks to keep the weight down to keep shipping costs lower.

It won't be a cheap version but a high end replica if he proceeds....... It's the same guy that made my V for Vendetta masks, Underworld stars, Hellboy grenades, reliquary and big baby shells so if you haven't seen any of these pieces check em out as the quality is second to none........

ONEYE likes this.
  31. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

Sounds good to me.....and being in the UK is a Brucie Bonus!:cool:thumbsup

32. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

I like the idea of hollow boxes. 1 mold for the 4 sides, 2 molds for either end. What type of router bit would I need?

33. Szyntax

34. rkpetersen

rkpetersen Well-Known Member

Hell yeah, I'm in if this proceeds! I bet you won't get but a few people interested in a high quality replica of this piece, though. Although I could be wrong.

35. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

That's a curved bit! Need a chamfer router bit. I need a project for the shopbot. Perhaps a "DIY" flat pack kit I could mail out.

36. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Looking at the 3D ref Oneye posted it looks to be a rounded edge not angled.

37. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

I'd definitely say they are angled edges. You can get a better idea from these screen grabs..........

Terminator Chip pictures by polsnulspace - Photobucket

Forgive my lack of artistic skills here but this is how I am seeing the edges.......

[​IMG]

Note the little triangle linking the angled edges.

:confused

38. Szyntax

ONEYE likes this.
  39. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

That 3d drawing isn't accurate at all. But there does seem to be curves on a few of the screen grabs.

40. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

double post

41. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

I'd definitely say they are chamfered edges going by this photo.........

[​IMG]

Does anyone have any better photos of where the ribbon cable attaches? :confused

ONEYE likes this.
  42. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

I don't.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  43. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

Remember 1 box has a slide out drawer with the square red chips seen in the special edition only. They are lined up in the drawer and at the end is a serial port.

44. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Those red square chips are not that important in this build. I don't think any of the boxes will have a slide out drawer.

45. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

It would be nice to have 1 slide out drawer :) Like the actual prop.

46. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Why not post clear, large photos of the ones you have?

:)

47. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

I don't have those, those are from Terminator files.

48. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I did some more math. There are 16 edge blocks. I have not done much molding, but how many pulls can you get from a mold?

ONEYE likes this.
  49. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

depending on type of silicone but easily 75

50. Polsnulspace

Polsnulspace Sr Member

I'd love the slide out drawer with the chips inside but I understand it would be a crazy amount of work added to an already time consuming project. I can live without it but it would be a fantastic addition for display purposes.