The IT Crowd - "The Internet"

BillyF2L

Hi All :)

New here, hope it's ok to post a thread straight off the bat!

Just wanted to share this with you in anticipation of a YouTube video I'm going to be making on it.

20170131_102724.jpg

The box is the closest I could possibly find to the original.

Instead of just getting a flashing LED I chose to make a circuit using a 555 timer chip with resistors to match the flashing speed as closely as I could also. It's about 1.3 seconds on and 0.6 off.

I was originally running it off of button cells but found that these would run out after a day or two and I really wanted it to be able to run constantly but without having any cables. Some people have made this and have put a USB socket in the side.. but I really didn't want to do this. The whole gag revolves around it being NOTHING but a box with an LED on it. No other holes or sockets. So I had a great idea that's worked amazingly well!

I rigged it to run off of a USB power bank and also fitted a wireless charging pad into the base of the box which charges the power bank! On a full charge this thing will run for almost two weeks non stop! And when it does stop, just pop it on a wireless charging pad for a few hours and you are good to go again :)

Like I said, I'm going to be making a YouTube video on this very soon in which I will build another exactly the same on camera :)

Thanks

Billy

Ha ha, great show I didn't expect it to have spread much outside the UK. I've thought about trying to find some of the stuff they keep on their desks and shelves. Like this...

toy.jpgtoy_Eddy_Table2.jpg

On your youtube video can you please note where you found parts and relative pricing, please? And links or it didn't happen :p

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back