Rphampson

I am in the middle of a project I like to call Iron-Bat.
View attachment DSC_1856.JPG
Basically I am posting on here as i am looking for a number of things.
This started out as a little something to do in my spare time for myself.. but now im am getting a little carried away with myself and want to make multiple casts of this once complete.

So as this Iron-Bat takes its final shape. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what might look good?
I am looking to have some of these as display pieces and some wearable. Some with and some without lights.
I have recently been in talks with someone who can hook me up with chrome hydro dipping, thermochromic, hydrochromic, UV sensitive coatings and many many more with literally thousands to choose from.

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions that they would like to share please do no matter what there are no bad ideas or suggestions.

View attachment DSC_1856.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
So over the past couple of weeks I've been working on the Iron-Bat in my spare time.
View attachment DSC_1993.JPG
As you can see I've built up the bat ears a little.. Thoughts?

From here on in its all about details, building up and sanding down over and over. Getting everything smooth and detailed.
The bottom half of the faceplate is almost perfectly smooth now.

Have you say in how this turns out.

Looks awesome right now, just keep sanding that helmet down. Any ideas on what you'll customise for the rest of the armour?

Cheers man!
After ive finished the helmet ill probable make a start on the arms/gauntlets which i already have a few ideas for :)

The helmet was originally designed to be a display piece only but now im thinking to add more options like if wearable or not, lights or not, different was for it to open and close, and 100's of colors.

1.jpgobviously there is the original way of opening, id also like to do this so that the faceplate can be removed completely.
And as this is the Iron-Bat i was thinking of way to make it like batmans cowl.
2.jpg 3.jpg

These are only a couple of ideas that ive had but if anyone has any more ways that this could open/close id love to hear them.

Cheers man!
After ive finished the helmet ill probable make a start on the arms/gauntlets which i already have a few ideas for :)

The helmet was originally designed to be a display piece only but now im thinking to add more options like if wearable or not, lights or not, different was for it to open and close, and 100's of colors.

View attachment 717926obviously there is the original way of opening, id also like to do this so that the faceplate can be removed completely.
And as this is the Iron-Bat i was thinking of way to make it like batmans cowl.
View attachment 717927 View attachment 717928

These are only a couple of ideas that ive had but if anyone has any more ways that this could open/close id love to hear them.
Original idea will be if your faceplate will moved not up and down, but left\right. In this case your ears will be not disturb you. For example Grey Fox Cyborg Ninja helmet.

Thanks guys ,

Jmen i must say that i do like the idea of the helmet opening like the cyborg ninja helmet. I think i get a few casts I'll have to experiment with all the different ways of the helmets opening.

Keep suggestions coming on how you think this should turn out. There are no bad ideas.

And yet another Iron-Bat update. Ive not put anything on here for a while as i have been really busy with well.. everything.

But I have had time to move a step closer to finishing the Iron-Bat.

View attachment 734292

Once i was happy with the shape of the helmet i sprayed it in black automotive paint as an undercoat which turned out quite nice. then afterwards i brushed on a high quality enamel paint

View attachment 734291

this left streaks of black which i actually liked the look of but then proceed to add more coats to give it a more defined color.

Ive also go around to testing some color pigments out..

View attachment 734298
This picture doesn't do the colors any justice, the silver on the left has a very grainy look where as the one on the right is very smooth and the middle one has a sort of purple color and when the angle is changed the color shifts from purple to orange.

These turned our very nice (a lot nicer than expected) this is how i will be casting my helmets, I mixed the pigments with clear resin and let set. This way the helmets will not need to be painted and will have an amazing finish due to the resin
there will literally be hundreds of colors to choose from from color shifting, pearl, metallic, glow in the dark, heat & uv sensative...

Let me know what you think, or have any suggestions.

Sorry man heres the re-post with pictures

And yet another Iron-Bat update. Ive not put anything on here for a while as i have been really busy with well.. everything.

But I have had time to move a step closer to finishing the Iron-Bat.

IronBat 1.jpg

Once i was happy with the shape of the helmet i sprayed it in black automotive paint as an undercoat which turned out quite nice. then afterwards i brushed on a high quality enamel paint

IronBat.jpg
this left streaks of black which i actually liked the look of but then proceed to add more coats to give it a more defined color.

Ive also go around to testing some color pigments out..

test.jpg
This picture doesn't do the colors any justice, the silver on the left has a very grainy look where as the one on the right is very smooth and the middle one has a sort of purple color and when the angle is changed the color shifts from purple to orange.

These turned our very nice (a lot nicer than expected) this is how i will be casting my helmets, I mixed the pigments with clear resin and let set. This way the helmets will not need to be painted and will have an amazing finish due to the resin
there will literally be hundreds of colors to choose from from color shifting, pearl, metallic, glow in the dark, heat & uv sensative...

Let me know what you think, or have any suggestions.

IronBat.jpg

IronBat 1.jpg

test.jpg

Im not sure pigments in resin will be enough for good color. Also you need to be careful, because sometimes more-pigments=more problems. You need to read description to you type of resin. Good luck! :thumbsup

Ive been testing out the pigment in resin and some work fine and others not so good but this resin im using has a long cure time as its some i already had.. so i will be getting a better quality resin which may work better..

I post more pictures to my Instagram if anyone would like to follow on more regular updates.

all replies and suggestions are appreciated.

As the Iron-Bat is coming to an end, it's time to start looking for the next project.

Ive found a few different helmets from all over (as seen in the picture) and obviously there's a lot more helmets out there.

ideas.png

I'd like to stick with the crossover theme, so... if anyone has any ideas what so ever please share use any and all helmets you can think of, all ideas are highly appreciated.

(i think a deadshot / black panther helmet would look pretty cool)

ideas.png

It is actually doesn't matter what helmet you will start, if you will make it good))) Actually yours idea about DS and BP is pretty interesting. i'll Wait for updates)))

I always thought a Dredd/Storm Trooper would be awesome if done right. I think you'd have to start with the trooper and add the Dredd elements.

- - - Updated - - -

Mandalorians work really well as crossovers too. Putting Wolverine eye wings on a Mando helmet or Loki's horns would look badass.

Cheers Jmen..

And i like the idea of the Dredd Trooper Awol, I might have to play around with photoshop to see have some of these might work :) unless anyone is good with image editing software??

thanks guys keep the ideas flowing..

Thanks man im glad you like it..

I must say i really like that helmet too :) ive got a feeling that might be my next one. And of course feel free to use and designs i post on here, and if you get around to making them a reality make sure you post here so i can see.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back