The inspiration for Terminator

T2SF

Was from a number of things. One highly publicized inspiration was Harlan Ellisons stories, The Solider and The man with the glass hand. If you've never watched them they are worth watching!

Soldier of the future - YouTube

and

The Outer Limits Full Episode (Demon With a Glass Hand) - IMDb

More on the plagarism issue

Terminator Origins: Harlan Ellison - YouTube

I think Luke getting his hand repaired was directly responsible for Arnold getting his hand repaired.

Any other glaring references or recycled ideas?

Also one of James Camerons earliest films, I see an early Hunter Killer ;)

Xenogenesis by James Cameron

Aonther Ellison "inspiration" was "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream."

A Third World war takes place between the USA, China and Russia. As the war progresses the three Nations develope war computers to fight the battles more effeciently.

One day one of the three computers becomes self aware, absorbs the other two computers and wipes out all of humanity leaving only four men and one woman alive.

Kevin

I still call BS on Ellison's plagarism claims.

The "stolen" elements are SOOOO broad and disconnected that it's insane to call them plagarism.

It would be like HG Wells trying to sue Ellison for stealing his idea of a time travel story. New ideas get created and the next generation of creators are going to build off of those concepts into new areas.

Cameron is a well read sci fi geek and all these concepts have been explored a million times in literary sci fi. He just combined them into a very evocative cinematic form.

Killer Robot versus Girl is classic Sci Fi!
edge_of_the_knife-1957.jpg

Run Sarah Connor! Reese will save save you!
robot-girl-Weird_Tales_July_1941-x3.jpg

Robot-grl-popp_fntstadvntr_jul52-x3.jpg

I'll be Back!
Robot-girl-startling-stories50-x300.jpg

Cybernetic Organism.
girl_robot.jpg

Nick

Agreed. Yes there will always be similarities in cyborg/ robot and time travel wars. The high horse of hollywood never ceases to amaze me.

The "stolen" elements are SOOOO broad and disconnected that it's insane to call them plagarism.

Harlan got clued into this because Cameron said in an interview that the above-mentioned material was the Terminator's inspiration, so that pretty much sealed the suit. Ellison also only wanted credit, not money.

Harlan got clued into this because Cameron said in an interview that the above-mentioned material was the Terminator's inspiration, so that pretty much sealed the suit. Ellison also only wanted credit, not money.

Yep.
It was an interview for Starlog magazine, they didn't print that part but someone who worked there I guess clued Ellison in. I think Cameron actually used the words "ripped off".

Harlan is a bit of a *******. And while I really like his stuff, he isn't the original source of all creativity like he seems to think.

Harlan is a bit of a *******. And while I really like his stuff, he isn't the original source of all creativity like he seems to think.

Sure, but legally looks like Cameron put his foot in his mouth with his admission.

No writer, artist, whatever lives in a vacuum, so I get that and that's fine to a certain point.

Yeah, I love the fact that the history of sci-fi plays out like one big discussion when looked at a whole. One writer tackles a subject in one way, another figures out a new twist on that concept and adds some new revelatory aspect to it. The fact that you can't talk about that interaction of ideas openly for fear of legal repercutions is abominable.

I'm very much in support of an artist's ownership of the intellectual material they create but to be legally forced to pretend that this stuff is created in a vacuum is a sad state to be in.

Nick

It would be like HG Wells trying to sue Ellison for stealing his idea of a time travel story. New ideas get created and the next generation of creators are going to build off of those concepts into new areas.

Cameron is a well read sci fi geek and all these concepts have been explored a million times in literary sci fi. He just combined them into a very evocative cinematic form.

Killer Robot versus Girl is classic Sci Fi!
edge_of_the_knife-1957.jpg

Run Sarah Connor! Reese will save save you!
robot-girl-Weird_Tales_July_1941-x3.jpg

Robot-grl-popp_fntstadvntr_jul52-x3.jpg

I'll be Back!
Robot-girl-startling-stories50-x300.jpg

Cybernetic Organism.
girl_robot.jpg

Nick

Man i wish someone would collect these old magazines and publish them in collections. the local used book store wants a premium for them.

Check out Cyborg 2087 starring Michael Rennie. [1966]

Cyborg 2087 (1966) - IMDb

Earth's civilization of the future sends a cyborg back to the 1960s to change the future.
In the future world of the year 2087, freedom of thought is illegal and the thoughts of the world's populations are controlled by the government. A small band of "free thinkers" send a cyborg back in time to the year 1966 to prevent a scientist from making the breakthrough that will eventually lead to the mass thought control of the future. Our time traveler soon discovers he is not alone when government agents from the future try to prevent him from carrying out his mission.
Taglines: Half Human... Half Machine! Programmed to Kill!

I saw it on TV once. I would say it is very close to the Terminator. He looks human until his hand is torn open. And there's a time paradox thing. And love.

That spider walker thingy in Cameron's short film is the fore runner of the Power Loader in so many ways. Listen to it. I've never seen that short before.

Cameron is pretty well known for letting his influences shine through in science fiction. Avatar is the same way.

I just like seeing some of this stuff.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back