The Incredibles - Syndrome build!

Grimwood

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
image.jpg

I've decided to build a superhero costume for my next build. I made a dual colored cape ...

image.jpg
Found a perfect wig...

IMG_0099.jpg

Clay sculpt!

ive just completed the shiny spandex pants with white overlay shorts (made them myself!) found a great tutorial for making superhero boots using white pleather, an old pair of white tennis shoes and shoegoo, an adhesive specifically designed for shoes. Bought a pair of white leather gloves, eva foam for the gauntlets and white plastidip and a good quality spray paint. Will begin the shirt design tomorrow. I've also started a clay sculpt of the massive chin Syndrome has, will cast that in latex and apply with spirit gum.

I want the suit to be as close as possible to the screen image, so will be laying in some blue LEDs for the gloves, Haven't quite figured out the immobilizer ray that shoots from Syndromes fingertips, but I'm working on it.

this will be a fun build! Plus, I'm doing some things I've never done before, improved my sewing ability and crafting skills.

Will post some some pics tomorrow of the chin so far.

i think this wig could work for the Heat Miser from the Rudolph films from my childhood.

Last edited:
Thanks! I don't think supervillains get the same kind of love that regular supes get. Syndrome is one of my favorite of the villain supers.

I saw a post recently that announced The Incredibles 2 coming out... eventually. I doubt Syndrome will make a surprise appearance tho.

Jet engines. Capes. Ooh.

**Edit**

http://www.latinopost.com/articles/...railer-release-date-main-character-rumors.htm

Hmmm... maybe our favorite nemesis WILL be returning...

Last edited:
This is pretty cool. I hope the chin piece works out for you. Are you doing a latex prosthetic so you can still move your mouth and speak?

I plan to use a latex prosthetic but Im not sure about the moveable jaw. I'm afraid my skills aren't quite that good, but I'll give it a shot. In the meantime I've also started working on my boots!

image.jpg
The basic boot! Handcrafted with a soft, mechanically processed pleather purchased for 7.95/yard at Joanne Fabrics. I plan to use a simple white slip on shoe for the base. Still need to get zippers for the back.

image.jpg

Side de by side. I like the design, I think they'll fit the Syndrome costume well.

I thought my wig would show up today. So much for paying extra for 2 day shipping!

wig1.jpg

Wig!

Got a bit o stylin' to do before it's... You sly dogs! You got me monologueing! I can't believe it!

wig3.jpg

Need to flesh out the cheeks some more, make it a bit rounder.

Thanks for checking in!

- - - Updated - - -

Love the character and it seems you're off to a good start! Subscribed for sure:)

Thank you joberg! I appreciate the comment!

I think you could make the chin smaller and rounder (like your avatar). Also, looking at your pics, your nose is close enough from the character already, so no need to integrate it with the chin. You're right though, the cheek bones need to protrude a little bit more. Eager for the next pics!

Wolves. Apparently fate did not like the Syndrome clay sculpt. I erring lay forgot to cover it with a damp cloth and the heat dried it out and it cracked!! Well, I have plenty of clay so I'll get back at it. I have a bad habit of starting one thing, then moving on to another when the muse hits, then coming back to the original project to see it in a totally different light. I am also working on my Syndrome voice that I can use during interactions with people.

the list done so far:

Cape
Wig
pants
shirt
gloves

in progress

boots (need base shoe and zippers)
insignia (the big S front and back)
the clay sculpt of the chin (includes molding, casting with latex and painting)
restyling of the wig. Got a little smooshed in transport
gauntlets (with LEDs)

Thanks for the advice on the face sculpt joberg. I think you were absolutely correct.

Alternative boot

image.jpgimage.jpg

This is is a potential alternative to all that sewing. I cut out template pieces and glued them together. Layered some plastidip on them (pics tomorrow), will add some white paint, and these will slide over any shoe, held in place by Velcro.

wip2bolt.jpgsyndrome.jpg

Getting there! Made the base gauntlet today. Found some great white golf gloves at HF. Boots are still a work in progress. Also started laying out the S on the chest.

Will be re-doing the mask, probably in latex (found a great DIY) but for now the foamy mask seems to be holding up pretty well. Also restarted my chin appliance.

More to come!

Attachments

• wip2.jpg
    wip2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 238
Looking the part:) The mask should be a little more "mean"; that is following more your eyebrows and showing your forehead better...almost à la Robin;) Keep up the good work!

Thanks joberg. This mask was just a simple one I made after I cut two holes into foamy that were close together. :). The mask will definitely be meaner.

Didnt get get a lot done on the suit today. I want to finish up the boots tomorrow then cut out the poeces for the chest insignia.

Grimwood

image.jpg

My boots! Or at least one iteration of them. Basically open on the bottom that will have Velcro strap to help hold them in place.

image.jpg

I'll be interested to see how well these hold up after a day of walking. I am also going to go with the vinyl version (waiting on my next shipment of vinyl) since the seam line on my first set was much too small and made it difficult for it to lay flat.

My pants are nearly done, just need to add the white shorts that make up the bottom part of the S insignia.

I dig the boots...did you thing about getting a cheap pair of aquasocks, removing the netting/rubber and keeping the soles? That way, you can glue those at the bottom of the boots without strapping them to your feet (The Spiderman costume build uses that trick) From experience, those boots are going to curl and lose their shape real fast (I made the same type of mistake many years ago and it was a disaster:cry)

I will definitely look into that. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to use these as a back up, depending on how my vinyl boots turn out. The first set I made was much too big and ended up messing up the seam line on the inside so that the seam didn't lay flat. I ordered 5 yards of white vinyl which just arrived... I'll get it right eventually! I have to remember to make a larger seam (I always make it too close to the edge).

I used gesso to seal the foam on these boots... I think that may have been a mistake. Even though there won't be a lot of flexing, I have a feeling it's going to crack. I tried white plastidip on the first foam boot I made but for some reason, it made a lot of weird bumps on the surface. I thought maybe I had a bad can or something so I bought another can, and ended up with the same problem.

I'm hoping the vinyl does the trick.

Thanks Snow Piercer!

- - - Updated - - -

My plasti-dip did the same thing the other day, but was resolved when the humidity level was below 50%;)

Doh! I didn't even consider that!! I was too busy fighting off the Michigan state bird: The Mosquito.

I tried white plastidip on the first foam boot I made but for some reason, it made a lot of weird bumps on the surface. I thought maybe I had a bad can or something so I bought another can, and ended up with the same problem.

I've used plasti dip a few times and the only time I got the bubbling is when I rushed the white glue sealing process and didn't let it dry all the way (obviously not your problem in this case), or when I plasti dipped in direct sunlight on a hot day and didn't give the dip much time to dry between coats.

What was your process when you plasti dipped? How light/heavy were your layers, how much time between coats, and how hot was it? I'm trying to nail down specific way to prevent it from happening in the future myself.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back