The Incredibles - Syndrome build!

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Grimwood, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Grimwood

Grimwood Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

image.jpg

I've decided to build a superhero costume for my next build. I made a dual colored cape ...

image.jpg
    Found a perfect wig...

IMG_0099.jpg

Clay sculpt!

ive just completed the shiny spandex pants with white overlay shorts (made them myself!) found a great tutorial for making superhero boots using white pleather, an old pair of white tennis shoes and shoegoo, an adhesive specifically designed for shoes. Bought a pair of white leather gloves, eva foam for the gauntlets and white plastidip and a good quality spray paint. Will begin the shirt design tomorrow. I've also started a clay sculpt of the massive chin Syndrome has, will cast that in latex and apply with spirit gum.

I want the suit to be as close as possible to the screen image, so will be laying in some blue LEDs for the gloves, Haven't quite figured out the immobilizer ray that shoots from Syndromes fingertips, but I'm working on it.

this will be a fun build! Plus, I'm doing some things I've never done before, improved my sewing ability and crafting skills.

Will post some some pics tomorrow of the chin so far.

i think this wig could work for the Heat Miser from the Rudolph films from my childhood.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  2. Yrien

Yrien Well-Known Member

Subscribed! I love this character (love to hate, lol) and can't wait to see how this turns out. :)

3. Grimwood

Thanks! I don't think supervillains get the same kind of love that regular supes get. Syndrome is one of my favorite of the villain supers.

I saw a post recently that announced The Incredibles 2 coming out... eventually. I doubt Syndrome will make a surprise appearance tho.

Jet engines. Capes. Ooh.

**Edit**

http://www.latinopost.com/articles/...railer-release-date-main-character-rumors.htm

Hmmm... maybe our favorite nemesis WILL be returning...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  4. Iggy

Iggy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is pretty cool. I hope the chin piece works out for you. Are you doing a latex prosthetic so you can still move your mouth and speak?

5. Grimwood

I plan to use a latex prosthetic but Im not sure about the moveable jaw. I'm afraid my skills aren't quite that good, but I'll give it a shot. In the meantime I've also started working on my boots!

image.jpg
    The basic boot! Handcrafted with a soft, mechanically processed pleather purchased for 7.95/yard at Joanne Fabrics. I plan to use a simple white slip on shoe for the base. Still need to get zippers for the back.

image.jpg

Side de by side. I like the design, I think they'll fit the Syndrome costume well.

I thought my wig would show up today. So much for paying extra for 2 day shipping!

6. joberg

joberg Master Member

Love the character and it seems you're off to a good start! Subscribed for sure:)

7. Grimwood

wig1.jpg

Wig!

Got a bit o stylin' to do before it's... You sly dogs! You got me monologueing! I can't believe it!

wig3.jpg

Need to flesh out the cheeks some more, make it a bit rounder.

Thanks for checking in!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you joberg! I appreciate the comment!

8. joberg

joberg Master Member

I think you could make the chin smaller and rounder (like your avatar). Also, looking at your pics, your nose is close enough from the character already, so no need to integrate it with the chin. You're right though, the cheek bones need to protrude a little bit more. Eager for the next pics!

9. Grimwood

Wolves. Apparently fate did not like the Syndrome clay sculpt. I erring lay forgot to cover it with a damp cloth and the heat dried it out and it cracked!! Well, I have plenty of clay so I'll get back at it. I have a bad habit of starting one thing, then moving on to another when the muse hits, then coming back to the original project to see it in a totally different light. I am also working on my Syndrome voice that I can use during interactions with people.

the list done so far:

Cape
    Wig
    pants
    shirt
    gloves

in progress

boots (need base shoe and zippers)
    insignia (the big S front and back)
    the clay sculpt of the chin (includes molding, casting with latex and painting)
    restyling of the wig. Got a little smooshed in transport
    gauntlets (with LEDs)

Thanks for the advice on the face sculpt joberg. I think you were absolutely correct.

10. Grimwood

Alternative boot

image.jpg image.jpg

This is is a potential alternative to all that sewing. I cut out template pieces and glued them together. Layered some plastidip on them (pics tomorrow), will add some white paint, and these will slide over any shoe, held in place by Velcro.

11. Grimwood

wip2bolt.jpg syndrome.jpg

Getting there! Made the base gauntlet today. Found some great white golf gloves at HF. Boots are still a work in progress. Also started laying out the S on the chest.

Will be re-doing the mask, probably in latex (found a great DIY) but for now the foamy mask seems to be holding up pretty well. Also restarted my chin appliance.

More to come!

Attached Files:

CLOTHAR and Yrien like this.
  12. joberg

joberg Master Member

Looking the part:) The mask should be a little more "mean"; that is following more your eyebrows and showing your forehead better...almost à la Robin;) Keep up the good work!

13. Grimwood

Thanks joberg. This mask was just a simple one I made after I cut two holes into foamy that were close together. :). The mask will definitely be meaner.

Didnt get get a lot done on the suit today. I want to finish up the boots tomorrow then cut out the poeces for the chest insignia.

Grimwood

14. Grimwood

image.jpg

My boots! Or at least one iteration of them. Basically open on the bottom that will have Velcro strap to help hold them in place.

image.jpg

I'll be interested to see how well these hold up after a day of walking. I am also going to go with the vinyl version (waiting on my next shipment of vinyl) since the seam line on my first set was much too small and made it difficult for it to lay flat.

My pants are nearly done, just need to add the white shorts that make up the bottom part of the S insignia.

Yrien likes this.
  15. joberg

joberg Master Member

I dig the boots...did you thing about getting a cheap pair of aquasocks, removing the netting/rubber and keeping the soles? That way, you can glue those at the bottom of the boots without strapping them to your feet (The Spiderman costume build uses that trick) From experience, those boots are going to curl and lose their shape real fast (I made the same type of mistake many years ago and it was a disaster:cry)

16. Grimwood

I will definitely look into that. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to use these as a back up, depending on how my vinyl boots turn out. The first set I made was much too big and ended up messing up the seam line on the inside so that the seam didn't lay flat. I ordered 5 yards of white vinyl which just arrived... I'll get it right eventually! I have to remember to make a larger seam (I always make it too close to the edge).

I used gesso to seal the foam on these boots... I think that may have been a mistake. Even though there won't be a lot of flexing, I have a feeling it's going to crack. I tried white plastidip on the first foam boot I made but for some reason, it made a lot of weird bumps on the surface. I thought maybe I had a bad can or something so I bought another can, and ended up with the same problem.

I'm hoping the vinyl does the trick.

17. joberg

joberg Master Member

My plasti-dip did the same thing the other day, but was resolved when the humidity level was below 50%;)

18. Snow Builder

Snow Builder Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool costume/thread -love your progress so far.

19. Grimwood

Thanks Snow Piercer!

- - - Updated - - -

Doh! I didn't even consider that!! I was too busy fighting off the Michigan state bird: The Mosquito.

20. collinE83

collinE83 Well-Known Member

I've used plasti dip a few times and the only time I got the bubbling is when I rushed the white glue sealing process and didn't let it dry all the way (obviously not your problem in this case), or when I plasti dipped in direct sunlight on a hot day and didn't give the dip much time to dry between coats.

What was your process when you plasti dipped? How light/heavy were your layers, how much time between coats, and how hot was it? I'm trying to nail down specific way to prevent it from happening in the future myself.

21. Grimwood

I'm pretty sure it was the humidity It has been incredibly humid here in Michigan with lots of rain (and flying bloodsuckers) so I'm pretty sure that had a lot to do with it. My coats of plastidip were light, and I gave about 30 minutes between coats. I thought the stuff would level out, but just kind of bumpy in the end.

22. Grimwood

SYNDROME5.JPG

He's super, he's amazing, he's SYNDROME!

Well, almost. I need to rethink those shorts... look almost like a diaper. I'm thinking of just buying a white pair of spandex shorts and calling it good. That insignia tho... it's going to require some serious thought to make it fit with the shorts to make a giant S. Also need to finish up the gauntlets. Tomorrow is supposed to be fairly nice so I may be able to get the painting done.

I think the boots are going to work well. Any where they flex it leaves little wrinkles, but they aren't really noticeable unless you're super close.

kialna likes this.
  23. Yrien

Yrien Well-Known Member

Have a look at dance briefs. They might work better, and they're designed to be worn on top of a dance leotard. I bought a pair for a Robin costume (that's currently on hold because I can't figure out the cape with my current level of sewing ability) and they're great. But I do think that you just might run into the "diaper" problem a bit anyways since they're white. :(

24. joberg

joberg Master Member

Yeah, I think that a Spandex suit would've been better overall (easier to paint the S) You could also try to make a cardboard pattern and apply white Plasti-Dip on the T-shirt for the S...
    It's getting there.:)

25. Grimwood

I'm actually going to cut the design out of fabric (same stuff as the shorts) so that it matches 100%. I was amazed at the number of different shades of white that are available! White isn't just white... it can be multiple shades....

20150720_164108.jpg

Here's the pair of shorts I made following the simple fold cut and sew pattern (you can make a pair of pants in 30 minutes or less.) No seams on the sides!

I think these will work much better. When I wear them, the wrinkles at the waist band straighten out.

26. Grimwood

I think you're right... regardless of what I do, the white against the black makes it appear to be a diaper. BUT! My new shorts fit much better and I hope that the awesome exuding from the character will outshine the diaper look.

As for the cape, McCalls has a bunch of great patterns for capes. You can modify it how you want (regarding length, width, etc.) All you have to do is cut out the pieces and trace them onto the fabric you want to use, then cut them out and sew them together. I did that with my cape and I think it turned out quite well.

27. Yrien

Yrien Well-Known Member

The problem with the cape I want to do is that it's lined, has a scalloped bottom, has a really weird front panel, and a stand-up collar and all of that is just beyond my current sewing skill level, lol. I'll get there, I'm just not there yet!

28. Grimwood

Yrien,

My cape actually had 4 parts that I had to sew together. It is lined with a blue polyester material as a liner and has an outer fuzzy black fabric. I'm still not 100% sure how I am going to attach it to the shirt... I'm thinking a snap of some sort because Syndrome does not have a tie holding it around his neck. Those darn capes can get snagged on missiles, get sucked into jet engines, pulled into a swirling wind vortex... just remember to be careful when wearing yours. ;)

That stand up collar... have you considered a flexible wire sewn into the fabric? The clam shell effect can probably be accomplished by expert sewing skills... :D

If I had to do my cape over, there are lots of adjustments I'd make.

Anyhow, good luck and thanks for the comments!

29. montysaurus

montysaurus Active Member

Grimwood likes this.
  30. MWiggs

MWiggs Well-Known Member

NO CAPES! ;) (Sorry had to be said)

Looking great so far! that wig could not possibly be better. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

31. Grimwood

Thanks montysaurus! I'm actually a member there but there doesn't seem to be much activity. There is a huge library of how-to's. :) Thanks for the link.

32. Grimwood

IMG_20150723_014705.jpg

Howdy Supervillain fans! Finally! My S is underway! It took me quite a while to figure out the logistics of this S because, laying flat it looks great. Wearing it changes the perspective a bit. However, I think it's going to turn out fine.

The material is stretchy, and there's a lot of it. I actually have two copies of the S, identical, so I can sew one on to the back as well. I started sewing it to the compression shirt but then my sewing machine jammed, so I have to restart. As it's 2 in the morning and I am taking a trip to the mosquito infested Upper Michigan tomorrow, this project will have to be put on hold until next Monday.

I appreciate the comments from everyone. Oh! I also had a root canal yesterday! How's that for fried gold?

33. Grimwood

Thanks wig! I had to do some research on cosplay wigs in order to learn what to use to style it. Yes, Syndrome has frizzy, fly-away hair. Some Got2B fixed it right up!

I'm questioning my resolve when I have to consider whether to buy a cheap brand X hair styling product or the expensive $8 Got2B paste for a plastic wig. But the stuff is amazing!

34. joberg

joberg Master Member

Well, it's coming along fine...apart from the "stuff from life" episode. Have a nice one in Upper Michigan and don't forget to bring your flame-thrower:D

Grimwood likes this.
  35. WereDrelf

WereDrelf New Member

What a fun build! Thanks for sharing your progress. Please, do keep monologuing! ;)

36. Grimwood

If there's one thing supervillains are good at, it's monologing!

:)

37. kialna

kialna Sr Member

Or brooding. I get the deal ;p I love doing villains.

Grimwood likes this.
  38. Grimwood

And narcissistic. I find that Syndrome is a bit full of himself and I plan to play that out during my cosplay of him at my first comic con. I'm almost done! It's hard to believe how much fun this has been and how my sewing skills have improved.

I already have my next costume planned.... is this normal behavior? :)

39. kialna

kialna Sr Member

Yes. I've got about 6 costumes planned. The reality is that maybe two of them will be realised.

40. Grimwood

Absolutely love the level of detail you put into the Khan project. "No jacket available? I'll just make one!" That is cosplay at it's finest. Thanks for sharing all the step by steps.

41. kialna

kialna Sr Member

Aw thanks! Though my sewing is not perfect ;) But in due time, you'll be much like that, because making costumes is addicting.

Grimwood likes this.
  42. CLOTHAR

CLOTHAR Active Member

Great to see some super villain love. Looking great so far.

43. Todogut

Todogut New Member

Here's a Cosplay Tutoral: How to Make a Cape featuring a Robin cape: https://youtu.be/TBIa24-CPD0

44. Grimwood

Thanks todogut! That's very helpful!

45. Grimwood

Plan today is to get the gauntlets finished. Trim, details, edging, primer then paint! I'd love to do LEDs but will have to save that for another time.

46. Grimwood

Tried white plastidip on the spandexy material. Didn't work. It seemed to go right through the material. Glad I tried it on a test scrap of the fabric. :)

It's back to sewing. May have to hand sew most of it as the fabric is bunching up and causing back ups in the sewing machine.

47. joberg

joberg Master Member

Is your T-shirt 100% cotton? If yes, then you just have to apply very light coats (mist) many, many, many times over to achieve a solid white. Don't forget to put some kind of cardboard or piece of plastic between the front and the rear of your T.

48. Grimwood

It's actually a compression shirt made of spandex type material. The stuff soaked right through and left kind a whitish spotted look. Not sure it's meant to be used on that type of material.

I was able to attach the big S made out of white spandex material so the shirt is complete! Now, gauntlets!

Then... I can hatch my plan to make everyone super... muwahahahah!

Wait... he didn't have an evil laugh...

49. joberg

joberg Master Member

I see...if not cotton then the Plasti-Dip wouldn't work that well. Keep on truckin';)

50. Grimwood

Grr... Have to redo the shirt!!! I finally had the opportunity to try everything on and the S is just too large and not high enough up on the front. The shorts don't exactly make the bottom of the S either. I have to buy a smaller shirt and figure out a better method of attaching the signature S to the front.

well, back to the drawing board!!