'The Hunger Games - Mockingjay' costume

lokid

Hey guys, I am new in this costume and prop thing (so don't be mean with me please). I am planning to do a Katniss/Mockingjay costume, but I'm having a little problem... Does anyone know a good material or recommend me a material to do her "wings"?
15139530182_dbd6c789d0_o.jpg

Someone suggested Worbla to me.
I'd hold fire though as I'm not sure those wings are actually there. I hope they are but the front shot if this on the new full poster shows nowhere where they start from the front -
Might be where the full poster has been 'shopped or the character poster may have been 'shopped.
Too early to say - The full trailer may help.
Good Luck :) I will be attempting at some point but I am doing CF Arena and then Star Squad first.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. If you are not a member already, look up the Facebook Girl On Fire group. Lots of help there.

Thank you Jaina! I wasn't a member, thanks for recommending it to me!
The problem of the Worbla is... I can't find it here in Brazil, and the shipping would be expensive. (Unfortunately) That seems the best material to do those wings.
I think the wings are attached in her shoulder piece. And do you have any recommendations for the armor? I am thinking about doing fiber glass.
Can't wait to see that trailer!
Thank you again! :) And Good luck to you too!

I have no idea...Hopefully someone more technically minded can chip in.

The quiver looks like it's Kydex but that's as far as I've got. I'm really headscratching over the collar fabric right now.

katnissback.jpg

This new Picture might help you though. Trailer is ace.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone has an advice on fabrics for the collar, that would be a real help :)

Personally, I would make the wings by cutting each 'feather' from 2mm foam, shaping it with a heat gun and then Plasti-dipping it. Then assemble them all together on a base, prime and paint. It'll be super lightweight. You can also do the shoulders the same way.

To get the rounded edges in the foam, cut the pieces at a bevel and then run the heat gun gently around it. The heat will smooth out the edges and round them over. Also, use brush on Plasti-dip - never spray.

Cheers!

In an interview J-Law said that the suit is very utilitarian. The neck material looks to be some type of ballistic nylon or Kevlar but if not it may be custom but shouldn't be too hard to find I'm currently trying to figure out the type of bow used in the movie

The bow is custom. See JLaws interview on the hunger games exclusive site, She mentions that they were made by the prop master.
If you do manage to find the fabric, I'd appreciate if you could let me know. :)

Did you look on the site and no I don't think the material looks like crocodile grain. The site says it was made out of fiberglass material uploadfromtaptalk1411327321128.jpg

That does look pretty good :) I must have been looking in the wrong place. I would imagine that they used some kind of material and fiberglassed it, that wouldnt work for the collar though, too stiff and hard.

I'm currently chatting with Alex Gordon to see if he's gonna make a bow replica because tbh that's all I really want and you should too because what Katniss costume would be complete without her bow

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back