The Hunger Games - Discussion Thread (no spoilers please!)

niennumb1

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm surprised there isn't a thread for this yet!

I just got back from seeing an advanced screening of the film tonight (crazy packed) and I have to say this was the first theatrical releases I actually read the book to beforehand! Actually I read all 3 books in about 9ish days... And I don't even normally like to read novels! :p

(no spoilers)

Boy it's hard going into a movie you know so many details about and trying to judge it just as a movie on its own! There were a number of changes and omissions from the film, but it kept it moving along good.

Overall I really liked it and it was intense during the actual games. They cleverly were able to be graphic without showing too much. Some left to the imagination which was executed well and the editing was unique too, paced good.

I don't want to ruin anything for anyone who hasn't read or seen it yet, so I just wanted to start of the thread by giving a thumbs up! Jennifer Lawrence makes an excellent Katniss Everdeen. Cinna was very well portrayed by Lenny Kravitz as well.

One very good thing that this film had was the cooperation of the Author, Suzanne Collins. The Director, Gary Ross and Collins both collaborated on the screenplay. So it is nice to see that it didn't derail from the main focus of the story, though some of the additions would have helped illustrate more of the bad stuff behind the scenes that goes on, but again, it didn't hurt it a lot.

I do have a new appreciation for what books bring that we never get to see portrayed in the movies. These books are told completely through the eyes of Katniss and you really get a full sense of everything going on in her head through every moment in the story.

I think it's going to some crazy numbers this weekend at the box office!

Last edited:
Re: The Hunger Games - Discussion Thread

Hey niennumb, can you put "No Spoilers Please" in your thread title?

I've not read the books and I'd like to hear feedback from members like you who've seen the movie, without spoilers.

The Wook

where I live theres a bunch of going nuts waiting for this movie ... I have already been asked by several friends to build them custom bows lol. i dunno if this movie will touch the potter record but it definitely has potential to make a dent.

Spoiler: Arnold Schwarzenegger survives.
LMAO!!! :lol

I wasn't lucky enough to get a chance to see one of those advance screenings, so I'll be seeing it tonight at 12:01 AM... will share my thoughts at some point in the next few days.

As for the books, I lucked out and grabbed the whole trilogy for my Nook when it was on sale for only $5. Just been waiting to see the movie BEFORE I read them, so I don't end up being mad if favorite scenes from the book are left out of the movie! ;)

Yeah, I'm kind of intrigued by the whole concept, as I usually am by "Deadliest Game" style stories, but I'd rather watch the movie and then read the book. Learned that the hard way in the past.

I'll likely give this movie a go as there seems to be a lot in it that intrigues me. I just need to stop myself critiquing the archery so much I ruin the whole thing for myself. (I already found myself unable to bite my tongue over one picture showing poor technique, but that's what years of archery and then becoming a coach does to you)

Saw it, liked it, hope they do an extended version on blu-ray, so I can watch more of it.

The camera movements were a bit annoying at times in the beginning of the movie, but got less over time.

I know nothing of the books or the movie. I saw the trailers and it didnt make me want to go. All my step kid wanted for his Birthday was to see this on the day it launched though so I got tickets early today for tomorrow's showing. Here's hoping it's good.

The camera movements and focus when she's excited, nervous or injured, I rather liked.

I thought it was pretty good... I can't geek out in comparison to the books the way a number of people were doing. I haven't read them. Though I wanted to tell the old lady, who had obviously read the books, to shut-the-****-up whe she shouted her assessment of Woody Harrelson's appearance as the District 12's previous victor. It felt like there was more depth there perhaps in the books that was only hinted at with some of the characters/scenarios on screen.

I'm going to see it today after my hubby gets off work. I haven't read the books yet, but one of my birthday presents was the first book for my Kindle, so I'll be reading it soon (have to finish Clash of Kings at least, first).

Sounds a little like "Battle Royale" American style with some oppressive politics thrown in.

I wonder if one of the Board members here saw some of the filming as I think he lived up there.

I saw a trailer months ago and was semi stoked. Then I started to get a Tweener-Twilight vibe from watching the people in line to see it on the news. Is this movie legit or is it some teenage love story bla bla bla?

Sounds a little like "Battle Royale" American style with some oppressive politics thrown in.

I wonder if one of the Board members here saw some of the filming as I think he lived up there.

It definitely takes elements of Battle Royale. With that being said, anyone who hasnt seen Battle Royale I would highly recomend it, although feel free to skip the sequel it was pretty bad.

Im curious to see how they handle...

the mutations/wolves toward the end

It definitely takes elements of Battle Royale. With that being said, anyone who hasnt seen Battle Royale I would highly recomend it, although feel free to skip the sequel it was pretty bad.

Im curious to see how they handle...

the mutations/wolves toward the end

Well in response to your spoiler... that aspect of it was changed. Probably because they didn't spend enough time with a lot of the others tributes enough for the audience to be able to connect that (as a movie-only experience) in combining those elements together. But there is something there, just done different. I wasn't too annoyed by it, but It will mean that for the continuing storyline that
Katniss will have to have some other type of thing to give her terrible nightmares, or just not show that as much.

Amen brother!

My girl wants to go see this so I made her watch BR last weekend.

We will be seeing Hunger this week-end

With that being said, anyone who hasnt seen Battle Royale I would highly recomend it, although feel free to skip the sequel it was pretty bad.

I saw a trailer months ago and was semi stoked. Then I started to get a Tweener-Twilight vibe from watching the people in line to see it on the news. Is this movie legit or is it some teenage love story bla bla bla?
Definitely legit. Perhaps even more than those tweens lining up understands. Definitely some in our audience who wasn't mature enough to understand what was going on and treated it as a comedy and wanting smoochie smoochie. It certainly wasn't.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back