The Hunger Games - Discussion Thread (no spoilers please!)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by niennumb1, Mar 22, 2012.

1. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm surprised there isn't a thread for this yet!

I just got back from seeing an advanced screening of the film tonight (crazy packed) and I have to say this was the first theatrical releases I actually read the book to beforehand! Actually I read all 3 books in about 9ish days... And I don't even normally like to read novels! :p

(no spoilers)

Boy it's hard going into a movie you know so many details about and trying to judge it just as a movie on its own! There were a number of changes and omissions from the film, but it kept it moving along good.

Overall I really liked it and it was intense during the actual games. They cleverly were able to be graphic without showing too much. Some left to the imagination which was executed well and the editing was unique too, paced good.

I don't want to ruin anything for anyone who hasn't read or seen it yet, so I just wanted to start of the thread by giving a thumbs up! Jennifer Lawrence makes an excellent Katniss Everdeen. Cinna was very well portrayed by Lenny Kravitz as well.

One very good thing that this film had was the cooperation of the Author, Suzanne Collins. The Director, Gary Ross and Collins both collaborated on the screenplay. So it is nice to see that it didn't derail from the main focus of the story, though some of the additions would have helped illustrate more of the bad stuff behind the scenes that goes on, but again, it didn't hurt it a lot.

I do have a new appreciation for what books bring that we never get to see portrayed in the movies. These books are told completely through the eyes of Katniss and you really get a full sense of everything going on in her head through every moment in the story.

I think it's going to some crazy numbers this weekend at the box office!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

Re: The Hunger Games - Discussion Thread

Hey niennumb, can you put "No Spoilers Please" in your thread title?

I've not read the books and I'd like to hear feedback from members like you who've seen the movie, without spoilers.

The Wook

3. niennumb1

Done! :):thumbsup

4. The Wook

The Wook Master Member

Awesome, thanks. :thumbsup

I taped Lawrence on Fallon and Banks on Craig tonight, but haven't watched them yet.

Anyone think Potter's record of 169 is in potential jeopardy this weekend? I think 150's possible, but not 170.

The Wook

5. mcnopants13

mcnopants13 New Member

where I live theres a bunch of going nuts waiting for this movie ... I have already been asked by several friends to build them custom bows lol. i dunno if this movie will touch the potter record but it definitely has potential to make a dent.

6. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Spoiler: Arnold Schwarzenegger survives.

7. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

LMAO!!! :lol

I wasn't lucky enough to get a chance to see one of those advance screenings, so I'll be seeing it tonight at 12:01 AM... will share my thoughts at some point in the next few days.

As for the books, I lucked out and grabbed the whole trilogy for my Nook when it was on sale for only $5. Just been waiting to see the movie BEFORE I read them, so I don't end up being mad if favorite scenes from the book are left out of the movie! ;)

8. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Yeah, I'm kind of intrigued by the whole concept, as I usually am by "Deadliest Game" style stories, but I'd rather watch the movie and then read the book. Learned that the hard way in the past.

9. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

I'll likely give this movie a go as there seems to be a lot in it that intrigues me. I just need to stop myself critiquing the archery so much I ruin the whole thing for myself. (I already found myself unable to bite my tongue over one picture showing poor technique, but that's what years of archery and then becoming a coach does to you)

10. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Saw it, liked it, hope they do an extended version on blu-ray, so I can watch more of it.

The camera movements were a bit annoying at times in the beginning of the movie, but got less over time.

11. MClass

MClass Active Member

Very excited to see this movie. Haven't read the books yet but I just might soon.

12. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

I know nothing of the books or the movie. I saw the trailers and it didnt make me want to go. All my step kid wanted for his Birthday was to see this on the day it launched though so I got tickets early today for tomorrow's showing. Here's hoping it's good.

13. wuher da brewer

wuher da brewer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The camera movements and focus when she's excited, nervous or injured, I rather liked.

I thought it was pretty good... I can't geek out in comparison to the books the way a number of people were doing. I haven't read them. Though I wanted to tell the old lady, who had obviously read the books, to shut-the-****-up whe she shouted her assessment of Woody Harrelson's appearance as the District 12's previous victor. It felt like there was more depth there perhaps in the books that was only hinted at with some of the characters/scenarios on screen.

14. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

I'm going to see it today after my hubby gets off work. I haven't read the books yet, but one of my birthday presents was the first book for my Kindle, so I'll be reading it soon (have to finish Clash of Kings at least, first).

15. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sounds a little like "Battle Royale" American style with some oppressive politics thrown in.

I wonder if one of the Board members here saw some of the filming as I think he lived up there.

16. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I saw a trailer months ago and was semi stoked. Then I started to get a Tweener-Twilight vibe from watching the people in line to see it on the news. Is this movie legit or is it some teenage love story bla bla bla?

17. .:MirrorminD:.

.:MirrorminD:. Sr Member

It definitely takes elements of Battle Royale. With that being said, anyone who hasnt seen Battle Royale I would highly recomend it, although feel free to skip the sequel it was pretty bad.

Im curious to see how they handle...

the mutations/wolves toward the end

18. niennumb1

Well in response to your spoiler... that aspect of it was changed. Probably because they didn't spend enough time with a lot of the others tributes enough for the audience to be able to connect that (as a movie-only experience) in combining those elements together. But there is something there, just done different. I wasn't too annoyed by it, but It will mean that for the continuing storyline that
    Katniss will have to have some other type of thing to give her terrible nightmares, or just not show that as much.

19. Apollo

Amen brother!

My girl wants to go see this so I made her watch BR last weekend.

We will be seeing Hunger this week-end

20. Too Much Garlic

Definitely legit. Perhaps even more than those tweens lining up understands. Definitely some in our audience who wasn't mature enough to understand what was going on and treated it as a comedy and wanting smoochie smoochie. It certainly wasn't.

21. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

Just got back from seeing the movie and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Jennifer Lawrence does a great job as Katniss. Now I need to read the books! :D

The only thing I wished they'd explained was
    why Peeta was helping the District 1 and 2 teams hunt Katniss, what with his professions of love early on.

22. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

I just got back from taking the wife and step childto see this. I never read the books and the trailers didn't make me want to see the movie. After watching it, I have no urge to read the books and thought the movie was about 30 minutes longer than it needed to be. Not my cup of tea I guess but I could see where lot's of other people would love it.

On a unrelated note... I wanted to thank 95% of the movie audience I saw it with. As expected there was a TON of young teens there and other than one butthead who wouldn't get off his IPhone to text every three minutes everyone was quiet and polite. I was stunned.

23. iycis

iycis Sr Member

I very much enjoyed the movie and I really love the books. However, I don't think this story should ever have been meant for 'young adults'. The books were gritty, heartbreaking, and gory. So I can't even figure out why in the hell my theater was full of screaming and cheering 11 year olds. I want to ragekill everyone there who was ruining the theater experience.

24. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I enjoyed it! I haven't read any of the books, I may go back and read them, but I did have a question for those who have read them.

The movie just seemed to ... end. Is this year's event supposed to touch off revolution again or something? I mean they showed a riot starting, but did it go any further than that? It would have made sense to me that they mention rioting starting in all the districts at the end, showing that their actions had some effect in the world. At the end of the movie, it's just seeming to show .. they survived. That's it.

Oh, and nothing at the end of the credits.

25. drakeprimeone

drakeprimeone Well-Known Member

Just got back from seeing it and I have to say I enjoyed it. I have seen Battle Royale so going in I figured The Hunger Games was a big budget version of Battle Royale and except for the injected "Twilight" love theme aspect to it I was pretty much right.

Comparing the two I have to say that The Hunger Games was more polished story wise but Battle Royale was more gut wrenching in that they let you get to know the characters before they ultimately met their fate.

Either way I recommend Hunger Games... if you don't mind sitting next to tons of giggling tween girls. On a side note during the previews a trailer came on for Abraham Lincoln Vampire killer and I got super excited while no reaction from the rest of the crowd, then a trailer for Titanic 3D came on and the theater started cheering and clapping :facepalm

26. Apollo

Bah, another Holywood watered down remake catered to the masses. :rolleyes

Even my girl wishes she never saw Battle Royale as she liked it better! :lol

27. niennumb1

Hollywood watered down remake? It's based off the book and for THIS story for the first time.

The premise might be similar to a couple films I've heard of here, but not yet seen, but it's not a love story really if you read all 3 books. It is about something MUCH bigger. It gets MUCH darker and more grim I promise. It's not all lovey dovey like the Twilight stuff.

Many different age groups really loved these books and are not catered toward the teens. The people playing them i'm sure have quite a teen audience, but it's not written specific to that age group.

And the comment about it being 30 minutes too long... Actually it was missing some stuff I wished they threw in to tell more details about some of the characters. The books truly do give you an idea of what Katniss is thinking throughout the whole ordeal and what you are seeing on screen isn't to be taken at face value.

28. drakeprimeone

To say that it is a remake of anything is definitely wrong. That being said The Hunger Games premise is very very similar to Battle Royale (a film that was released 12 years ago) to the point that many feel it was a blatant rip off. I have never read the book so I am sure there were many details that didn't make the final cut that would have fleshed out more.
    I still maintain the movie had a very "Twilight" feel to it though. Don't get me wrong I thought Hunger Games was very good. I just can't help but compare it to what I have already seen.

29. Darth Fetty

Darth Fetty Well-Known Member

Loved it! :thumbsup

Yeah, this was really my main complaint about it. I actually originally thought the book would be too short for a movie, but turns out it was the complete opposite. The movie felt very rushed at times, especially at the beginning in District 12. I'm really hoping there will be an extended edition.

Another complaint I have is that too many people from District 12 looked too "perfect" for coming from what's supposed to be a poor district. Especially Gale.

Loved it anyway though, and the capitol was especially well done. :thumbsup

I did NOT like the wolves/dogs in the book and thought it was too over the top, but loved how they were used in the movie... Loved the added scene at the end with the berries in the bowl too. :)

Oh, and not understanding the Twilight comparisons at all (besides the fact that the casting choices for Gale and Peeta are clearly catering to the teen girl crowd).

30. drakeprimeone

Well after watching the movie there certainly seems to be a love triangle brewing. But I guess when I say "Twilight Feel" what I am referring to is it has a modern teen angst kind of thing going, but also in general the movie has a premise that you would think is very male interest driven but has the casting and feel that make it very appealing to the female crowd.
    Twilight managed to take supernatural monsters like vampires and werewolves and made it appealing to girls.
    In the same vein The Hunger Games takes an all out survival fight to the death and made it appealing to girls.

31. Apollo

Maybe, maybe not.

While I am the first to say, "there is nothing new under the sun", in the Biz, you do know the author has been accused of ripping off BR right?

I actually enjoyed the movie untill they got to the Contest, which was way to long and watered down.

Be interesting to see what Quentin Tarentino thinks of this Movie

32. Darth Fetty

Darth Fetty Well-Known Member

I'd think the concept of fighting to the death in an arena for entertainment, propaganda, etc is quite generic, so I don't believe it can be labeled as a "ripoff" of anything specific. Battle Royale is one of many that have used it, and adding kids to it seems like a no-brainer for added shock value. It's not an original idea, but varies in the execution (yes, pun intended :) ).

Personally, I love the added backstory in this one regarding the oppressed districts rebelling against the capitol (another extremely common idea), and how the characters fit into it.

33. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

With children, in a future society, as a means of warning certain sectors of society rebelling against a fascistic government?

34. Apollo

No Br was the first to use it, children killing children, that is, as it was banned in a few countrys.

Post some of the many examples as I would like to see how they handled that premise

Of course the Romans started it all by throwing children to the lions with a slingshot and some rocks :lol

35. The Hopkinator

The Hopkinator Sr Member

The Running Man ,, with kids.. I liked it though,, as I had no real expectations. It was filmed in Asheville NC and stages in Charlotte,, Same as Last of the Mohicans. Ours rivers up there are insanely beautiful.

36. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

I enjoyed it. The biggest surprise I got out of the whole film was how well acted it was.

However, STOP THE FREAKING CAMERA SHAKING!

37. Lost in Trek

Lost in Trek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just got from seeing this. Never read the books, in fact never even heard of the books until the movie was beginning production.

I found the film a lttle long. Additionally, while it was well acted it lacked a villian to drive the last half of the film. Production values were ok but nothing amazing. In the end it felt like a well made tv film instead of a motion picture.

38. Too Much Garlic

My take on that.
    They clearly caught up with him and in the futile attempt to survive he said he'd help them find her. People do crazy things to stay alive sometimes. He felt he had no chance before the games started and them catching him was a sure death sentence... like the bullied kid you help who then turns on you and helps the bullies bully you, keeping him from getting bullied anymore, even if he'd rather be your friend.

39. Cookiee Monsta

Cookiee Monsta Well-Known Member

Kinda choked up after reading that.

40. Apollo

Just like Mohicans the summer was a scorcher.

I felt sorry for the cast when and where I found out where they were shooting

41. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

I resent that!

42. Apollo

:lol Not as much as I did, I was cycling 40 to 50 mile days that summer. :lol

Finally had to Ditch the Helmet and ride close to home with just a Headsweats rag on!

43. infymys

infymys Sr Member

Never read the books but I do plan on seeing it the near future. My only issue is the similarities to Battle Royale. I'm trying to go in with an open mind instead of thinking that this is a ripoff of one of my all time favorite films.

44. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

AMEN,

nothing more annoying then FAKE SHAKEY CAM. C'mon, if you want shakey cam, throw the camera on your shoulder and shoot with a telephoto lens. But putting a camera on a tripod and then shaking it looks frakking stupid and makes me want to flush my head down a toilet. ARRRG

45. Apollo

Go see it for sure!

My advice is to see BOTH! :lol

It's not that bad of a movie.

I am hard on movies.

drakeprimeone summed it up nicely.

Battle Royale was the first it is a gritty Japanese cult classic that Tarentino has enourmous respect for.

The Hunger Games is a typical Hollywood rehash on a similiar concept

Kinda funny that Battle on Blu-ray was released this week

46. infymys

infymys Sr Member

Already picked it up. :) I also have the Japanese DVD import. What's even funnier, is that BR is doing a limited showing across the US in theaters this year. And I'm going to the final showing at the UC. :)

47. Apollo

Wow thanks for the link!

It's not showing any where near me but thats great that they are showing it in theatres.

I also have the import and just placed the anchor bay release in my amazon cart! :lol

Funny thing about all this is my friend who turned me onto this with a bootleg in 2000 is over In Japan as we post probably stalking Aki Maeda! :lol

48. Tank O' Guinness

Tank O' Guinness Well-Known Member

In Response:

I think in the book Haymitch says that he told Peeta to go with the careers as he knew that Peeta could not survive on his own, It was also to lead them away from Katniss

49. niennumb1

There definitely is a villain. The books go in to much more detail.

----------------------

Also all this Hollywood rehash stuff... blame that part of the book if that's your thoughts. The movie is an adaptation of the book.

50. Eopie Herder

Eopie Herder Sr Member

Saw it yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm definitely in for a sequel...might pick up the books now.