The Hunger Games costumes

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by iycis, Jan 24, 2012.

1. iycis

iycis Sr Member

Any love for the books or the upcoming movie?

I've been searching high and low for Effie Trinket's pink Peony brocade fabric online but so far no such luck. If anyone can offer any ideas on places to check let me know. I'm thinking of bringing a photo of her costume with me on my trip to Thailand next month to see if I can find something there.

2. wakeboardjedi

wakeboardjedi Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I cannot wait for the movie. That costume matches the visual I had of Effie in my mind.

Good luck with it!

3. AxiomUltra

AxiomUltra Active Member

I haven't seen anything regarding costumes yet sorry :( But the movie does sound interesting from what I've read. I look forward to checking it out. My little brother is a camera manager and got to work on set when they filmed in NC - he told me the costumes were pretty good from what he saw.

4. wakeboardjedi

5. iycis

iycis Sr Member

Thank you. I had also found that website too but the colors are off. I'm going to try find something closer but if I don't I may resort to buying from that place.

6. iycis

iycis Sr Member

Here's some more photos. The Hunger Games facebook page has been releasing photos occasionally. There's more on there.

7. aeryn

aeryn Active Member

wait. really? that is her 'girl on fire' costume? i mean i love the design, but NOT for girl on fire. it's like the only thing they took from the book's description was "black." i see no cape, no "simple unitard" and no headdress. no oranges or reds or anything. and definitely no simple braid. :/

I plan on making a girl on fire costume for the premiere and i've had a design in my head from what i read in the book. kind of sad how far off i will be, now. :/ The unitard will be clean-lined and plain-patterned, to keep attention to the cape and headdress.

8. wakeboardjedi

Didn't the real costume come out after she was set on fire? I need to reread the book before the movie comes out.

9. iycis

iycis Sr Member

Yeah I'm sort of waiting to judge it too much until we see if it actually looks "on fire" with special effects or something. I do agree though that it should have a headdress.

10. aeryn

aeryn Active Member

Her wedding/mockingjay costume changed, but I'm pretty sure the only thing that changed on this one is the fact it was on fire. Im sure the fire will be cg, but is the entire cape cg? Cinna's not that good that he can control tendrils of flame like that. Or is the pic from a half-dressed rehearsal?

11. BirdDog

BirdDog Active Member

this should be interesting.. (im kinda excited)

12. iycis

iycis Sr Member

I know as much as you on this one, sorry.

I did preorder the "Illustrated Guide" book which comes out on Feb 7. Hopefully more photos and information will be revealed in there.

13. aeryn

aeryn Active Member

oh, could you let us know? i mean, i'll still be running with my original design i came up with after reading the book (and i want my unitard to double as a black widow unitard, too) but i'd still like to know. :)

14. iycis

iycis Sr Member

I'll give you the run down of what's in there once it arrives. Not a bad price either, I think I got it for $11.91.

15. iycis

iycis Sr Member

A friend passed this link on to me: Portfolio - The Hunger Games Products by NECA

They are going to be releasing a whole bunch of silly Hunger Games related merchandise. The interesting items to note are Katniss's jacket, training shirt, and bow. Can't really speak whatsoever for the quality of these items but I thought it might be useful for someone who doesn't sew.

16. SamDWagster

SamDWagster New Member

for anyone working on an Arena costume i've found nearly 1:1 match that's not $400 the only downfall is that the boots only come in women's sizes.

Amazon.com: Steve Madden Women's Banddit Boot: Shoes

They wear the black in the training area, and the brown in the Games Arena. (from what i can tell in the promo images.

17. aeryn

aeryn Active Member

ooh! a pin that is not $35+ like the ones on ebay. hopefully they'll release them in time to be shipped for the premiere.

18. iycis

iycis Sr Member

Good find! I'll pass this link on to the few people I know of working on this costume.

19. SamDWagster

SamDWagster New Member

Ive actually started a Costume Research Blog to keep all my research, pictures, and information in one central location. I'm currently posting a ton of stuff about the Arena costume while I'm working on my version of the costume.

http://www.confidentcostumer.wordpress.com

20. tain669

tain669 Sr Member

The boots are not that hard to find. they are U.S. Army tank crew boots

21. iycis

iycis Sr Member

I got the Illustrated Guide book the other day. It has a little bit of everything in it: Arena costumes, Training costumes, Capitol citizens, and District 12 photos. If you're looking for something in particular let me know and I'll tell if there's anything worthwhile. A friend bought the Tribute Guide book and she said it has a lot of great photos too if you are working on one of their costumes.

22. zerahemnah

zerahemnah Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Was thinking of putting together a peacekeeper uniform for the premeire.

23. aeryn

aeryn Active Member

iycis - any enlightenment on headdress or cape?

24. iycis

iycis Sr Member

No sadly. They must be keeping it secret for the reveal in the film. There is a full page photo of several headdresses sitting on foam heads on a table but the only one labeled it Cato's. The rest don't seem to resemble what I think they'd have Katniss wear.

25. Godsmulligan

Godsmulligan Active Member

I've been looking into the arena bow. I have a pretty good idea, just not sure on the fine details. Has anyone seen any good pics of the quiver or arrows?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  26. mirsylus

mirsylus Active Member

are there pics of district 5 arena and training..?

27. Ryss

Ryss New Member

28. iycis

iycis Sr Member

I finally got the screen accurate Effie fabric. It was the very last few yards that the store had. After searching all over NYC, Philly, and even in Thailand on my vacation, it was finally sourced by a friend in LA.

29. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

The experienced archer (and coach) in me can help looking at that pic with the bow and cringing at the poor technique: She's got the arrow too high up the string, it seems to be halfway down the back of her hand, and WHY is she pointing that finger? (Petty, I know, but I can't help it)

Other than that I guess I'm looking forward to this film. I've not read the books, but it sounds interesting and a fellow archer was raving about the books when I asked if she'd seen the trailer.

30. Godsmulligan

Godsmulligan Active Member

If you read the book you might also like how she kills animals by shooting them in the eye. Lol

31. aeryn

aeryn Active Member

saw the movie last night and i'm a little disappointed in Katniss' "Girl on Fire" outfit. :( yeah, it was neat, but it wasn't as overwhelmingly impressive as it should have been. Yeah, there's (cg) fire involved, but only a couple feet of it and it wasn't shown that much. I was hoping more for a long flame-cloak flowing behind them instead of their backs just being on fire.

in related news, i enjoy "Capital Fashion"

32. iycis

iycis Sr Member

Capitol fashion was indeed excellent.

33. Chucko

Chucko Member

My wife and I have decided to do HG costumes. She is going to be Katniss (Which costume unknown). I'm going to be working on a Peacekeeper. I found some promising leads on helmets by googling: shorty style motorcycle helmets
    [​IMG]

34. SamDWagster

SamDWagster New Member

Hey guys, if anyone needs any info on the Arena costumes i've updated my blog with my two part costume breakdown.

I'm working on getting a group together in Central AR (around the Little Rock/Pinnical Mountain arean) to do a photoshoot for the arena and were looking for a bow similar in look to the Arena bow (color wont matter, it will be painted) but we've had no luck finding one similar to it. Any tips or info from people that know about archery will be GREATLY appriciated.

------

If anyone from the site is from the area and willing to get an accurate costume for the shoot you can send me a message on here, or find me on facebook.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  35. SamDWagster

SamDWagster New Member

Just signed up to do a 'Capitol Clothed' Hunger Games Group for Dragon Con, so if anyone can help me identify the blue sweater that peeta wears during dinner in the apartment it would be greatly appriciated

36. peytonriley

peytonriley Active Member

I shall have to tackle her black "on fire" suit for the life of me! Seriously, looks like a challenge and i love challenges <3 maybe even effie's purple suit from the reaping scene :D if anybody finds good stills of the black costume please share! I've only found one promo pic so far u.u

Btw, does anybody know the actual name of the purple fabric effie's suit is made of in the reaping scene? It'd make my job a hell of a lot easier :p i got lucky finding her floral brocade.. But in green olive x.x if i end up getting it in pink i'll let the other Effie cosplayers know! Haha.
    Iycis, you lucky lucky... Girl, i envy you and i dont even want that cosplay!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  37. iycis

iycis Sr Member

The fabric is called silk moire.

38. peytonriley

I'm liking you very much dear lady n.n i was wondering, i live in argentina, and i dont have many fabric resources here, it's either a lucky find or ebay for me, and for the floral brocade you got i searched pink floral brocade, stuff like that, do you have any other idea how it might be found other than that?, my main goal is still the reaping suit and her fire suit but ugh, couldnt the costumes be A LITTLE ugly at least? U.u

39. aminie

aminie New Member

Oh my lucky you!! I have spent over 40 hours trying to find this fabric without any success! Would you mind telling the name of the store? Just in case they'd be able to get some more. I am getting somewhat desperate!

So far all I have managed to do with satisfaction is tracking down one of the knock off of the shoes (Alexander McQueen Faithful) and spray paint them gold. (They were a sensation at the premiere)

peytonriley:
    You can also try to look for it on the Internet by searching "moire bengaline". You are quite lucky because there's a lot of this fabric out there made out of rayon/viscose instead of silk, which looks pretty darn good, but only costs a fraction of the price! Quite a few website sell this kind of fabric too. I got some bengaline two years ago for a victorian gown from tutu.com and though it is not moiré, it is the exact same colour of that suit, so you are sure going to find it online! :)

40. aminie

aminie New Member

Here's a pictures of the shoes in question. At the time of the picture I didn't have the proper white socks (but I do now), and the leather texture is not the same as the actual shoes, but it's otherwise pretty close, so I am glad :)

41. peytonriley

Those look awesome! I have a friend selling those (knock off's too lol) so hopefully they'll fit me so i can get them, she's a size 5 and i'm a 6/7 lol.
    It'd be so good if only those shoes would go with the reaping suit T.T i still cant see well which shoes she wears in that scene, i noticed they had laces, probably ankle boots with laces.

And so far for the girl on fire costume, i cant find ANY good refs, only that promotional pic of her and Peeta, so if anybody has the illustrated companion and would like to help, please do so T.T

42. aminie

aminie New Member

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  43. Laamberry

Laamberry Well-Known Member

Anyone know if detailed shots of Katniss's red interview dress have surfaced yet?

44. aminie

aminie New Member

Obviously the link above is a huge fail. Ill change it as soon as I am in front of my computer again!

45. JedHead

JedHead New Member

The new issue of People magazine dedicated to THG has new pics of costumes and props, including the other District's arena costumes.

46. aminie

aminie New Member

There, fixed the link, lol.

Oh and also, there's this good piece on Hunger Games costumes by the LA Times. It's the best I've seen so far. Worth reading:

'Hunger Games' fashion comes to fiery life - latimes.com

For the red interview dress, there's only one shot of it in the illustrated companion and right now there is more good pictures of it online than in it.

47. Laamberry

Laamberry Well-Known Member

Bummer! Thanks for the info though :)

48. peytonriley

Thank youuuuu! They are pricey but i'll keep them in mind n.n

Hmmm it sucks that there aren't good pics of that costume, i'll just have to pay extra attention the next time i see the film lol, i'd try to take pics of the screen but my phone has a clicking sound that i cant mute u.u

Now im also considering on doing her district 12 costume, the clothes she wears at the start in the forest, i have similar boots and i've been wanting a cosplay with a bow and this is perfect! Her arena costume is nice too but im not too fond of either the metallic bow or the jacket she wears..

49. iycis

iycis Sr Member

The name is Michael Lavine. Though it will do you no good sadly. A friend of mine just called there a couple of days ago and they told her they would not be restocking the fabric.

50. aminie

aminie New Member

Arr, thanks! i'll try one last thing with a store I know, but if it doesn't work I think I'll have to settle for a "similar" fabric. If you have started to work on a pattern have you manage to determine how many yards you'll need? I'm guessing anywhere from 3 to 5 depending on the width of the fabric, but then again I always tend to overestimate the amount of yards I'll need!

You're very welcome! I am starting to think about the cream dress in the second interview myself... it's such an adorable dress I'd like to have it anyway! :love

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012