The Hot Toys Black Ed-209 - Restoration Project **23rd March - 99% Complete**

G17RDY

Sr Member
Evening All,

BLACK ED-209 - Restoration Project

Bought this poor little Ed-209 from a great fellow board member, Thanks again C.

Now, we've no idea why poor Ed-290 was completely sprayed in black, but i am determined to restore him to his former glory - no matter how long it takes me.

And so it begins......... first step stripping ED of his dark shroud!!!

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The Hot Toys Black Ed-209 - Restoration Project

Very cool and I'm jealous. The only 209 I could find was the toy from the 90s that fires caps x.x

Looks a lot better.

What did you use to strip the paint off?

Thanks, after several different methods, oven cleaner, paint stripper, nail polish remover etc, i stumbled across a product titled 'Graffiti Remover' from screwfix (DIY trade counter)

This product is excellent - the liquid is thick, but allows you to 'paint' it on. Then after 10 - 15 minutes, the paint lifts off with a stiff brush (toothbrush)

Depending on the thickness of the paint, will depend on how many coats of the graffiti remover and how long you need to leave it on for each time.

It strips the paint back to the original plastic, without any adverse effects on the plastic whatsoever.

I have even began to strip the middle section of my Zorg NS4 head, and the resin underneath is perfectly clean - again no adverse effects from the product.

I think i may have to look into that stuff for stripping down my projects when the paint jobs go bad as they usually do. I can't wait to see how ED turns out.

**Update 31/01/11**

All cleaned, sanded and primed - Ready for Paint!!

IMG_3203.jpg

Re: The Hot Toys Black Ed-209 - Restoration Project **31st Jan - Update**

WOW... HOLY ****... that's looking awesome. Can I buy it back? No seriously... can I? :lol

WOW... can't wait to see more progress. :thumbsup

Thanks for the words of encouragement!!

And No C, you can't buy it back! There was a time, where i really started to regret buying it in the first place, i think i was about half way through stripping and nearly gave up!!

Its been some task getting it to the primer stage.

Good news is, that all the parts cleaned up rather well, had to take about 10 sheets of wet and dry paper to it though, but its done now, i can look forward.

Started painting the final base coat tonight, with my brand spanking new airbrush - First coat now on, second one tomorrow, and then onto all the other colours of paint and detailing!!! We are nearly there!!!

LOL, that's okay. At least it came to a good new home. And glad you kept at it and didn't give up, like I did. :cheers

Can't wait to see this done up beautifully. Did you get replacement parts from keith?

looking great so far, cant wait to see the final restored ed 209!

Graffiti remover?

You shouldda tried dunking it in Buckie! That would have done the trick ;)

Buckie, Graffiti Remover, Nirto mors paint Stripper - Its all the same stuff, just put into different bottles!!!!!

Graffiti remover?

You shouldda tried dunking it in Buckie! That would have done the trick ;)

looks great!

bit late here, but dettol is great for removing paint from warhammer figures.

Just leave them in it for a few hours, and the paint just falls off. makes the figures smell a bit. But very good at stripping.

wow Im amazed at how effective it was at stripping the paint, Ill have to keep an eye out so I can redo some of my older models.

Great start!, watching with anticipation:)

10th Feb - Update

Two feet almost complete!!! - Hey that rhymes!

And before you ask, yes i am using some artistic license here!

IMG_3210.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back