The Horrors Of “Star Trek: TOS” Teeth

Captain Dunsel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I recently watched “Let Thet Be Your Last Battlefield” (with half black / half white Frank Gorshin), for the first time in years, and noticed something I had never noticed before—some of the Original Series actors’ teeth were a chamber of horrors. This was apparent in the extreme zooms used in the “Enterprise self-destruct sequence”.

Nimoy:

B8AD5295-FE88-45D1-B9C1-834BF1492E95.jpeg

E2C291A1-6504-47B9-9F23-494FFCB4A4A8.jpeg

Doohan:

A19966E7-82B7-428E-A76C-DAD3A2699FE0.jpeg

And not to be left out, Kelley:

4F7FE690-0D62-494F-88DD-218042504D39.jpeg

BDB8FA47-2455-4FA5-A7F7-1E08946D94CE.jpeg

(“What? Me worry??”)
A258F677-DB66-4F3C-A763-84EA315D4178.jpeg

83F087FC-3A60-4EFE-AA18-8A38886499CB.jpeg

Yikes!

We have come a long way in dental care since the 1960’s, apparently.

Last edited:
LOL. Gosh, makes me wonder how many other, even "heart throb" type of actors from back in the day had jacked up teeth. I'd also be curious to see how many big names started acting in the 60's-80's with messed up teeth, but have gotten them worked on since then.

Yeah, but braces were rare back in the day when they were children

Leonard, Deforest, and Jimmy also smoked like chimneys, which is why you can see tobacco stains on their teeth

It’s not just the stains. The brutal zoom-ins on those teeth, with severe gum recession, look like the kind of PSAs that are used to warn against the dangers of chewing tobacco—yikes!

I imagine those were average teeth in the 1960’s though.

Last edited:
That picture of Kelly and Shat crack me up, it looks like they could be smiling riding a horse lol.

after you said that, I had to know what the heck it was they were actually doing...

william-shatner-leonard-nimoy.jpg

The truth is almost more unsettling to me than if they had been riding a horse together. The picture just feels wrong.

Last edited:
may want to check into it, I'm pretty sure that's a bit of a myth. I recall Shatner saying around the time of nemoy's death that they'd burried whatever hatchet they had from time to time, and they'd were fine with each other.

No myth Nimoy had not spoke to Shatner for years before he died.

Even Shatner confirmed as much in his book Leonard which I am sure would have pissed Leonard off to no end.

Shatner while a great actor who i love dearly is the biggest insecure prick I have and many others as well have ever met :mad:

Leonard was a shrewd Actor as well as businessman and a very kind and generous man

may want to check into it, I'm pretty sure that's a bit of a myth. I recall Shatner saying around the time of nemoy's death that they'd burried whatever hatchet they had from time to time, and they'd were fine with each other.

I remember noticing that and how back then, even up to the early 80's a lot of actors had jacked teeth.
Not anything close to today's standards.

Now that a lot of old shows are getting Bluray+ treatment, I see almost EVERY actor had stained teeth had brown teeth. I see old 60 sitcoms, movies etc in HD and I see it. Smoking.

"What? You don't smoke? What, are you, a health nut?"

Now that a lot of old shows are getting Bluray+ treatment, I see almost EVERY actor had stained teeth had brown teeth. I see old 60 sitcoms, movies etc in HD and I see it. Smoking.

"What? You don't smoke? What, are you, a health nut?"

Oh yeah, they were all in “flavor country...”

...even while exploring the “Final Frontier”:

3476920A-2E6A-4883-8940-CB847CFEA140.jpeg

One of “Star Trek’s” first season sponsors was Viceroy cigarettes.

Here is a rare copy of “Space Seed”, as it was seen in its first run on TV, noting Viceroy’s sponsorship of the program:

And general commercials of the time; you’ll get a real “Mad Men” vibe from these:

Last edited:
Back in the day, especially the 60’s, mostly everybody drank and smoked.

You were not “sophisticated” if you did’nt

I was recently watching the Thunderbirds, the one with the puppets, which I have not seen since the 60's and they actually had some of the puppets smoking cigarettes. Watch any movie or tv show from the 40's through the early 80's and someone is probably going to be smoking.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back