The Hooded Swan

KevinD

Sr Member
Here is my scratchbuild of the starship Hooded Swan, which featured in a series of novels by Brian Stableford in the 70's. Each bore (in the uk), a cover illustration by Angus Mckie. The novels are excellent but it was the covers that attracted me to them.
The ship also featured as the Interstellar Queen in the Terran Trade Authority books.
My model is made of plasticard mainly and is about 20 inches long.
SwanLakeA.jpg
20200603_152025.jpg
20200603_151913.jpg
Swan1.jpg

Excellent rendition of one of my favourite ships in the book. Wondering if you did the engines as depicted in the technical drawing. I just did this ship in Lego but had to change the engine arrangement a little. Regards, mark.

Here is something that may be of interest to those of you who want to see ships from novels:

Researchers at University of Waterloo and New York University Courant Institute have recently created an AI tool that can automatically generate unique artistic images based on text descriptions. Their method, introduced in a paper pre-published on arXiv, is based on a dynamic memory generative adversarial network (DM-GAN), a model based on two artificial neural networks that work together to generate increasingly convincing images.

"We create an end-to-end solution that can generate artistic images from text descriptions," Qinghe Tian and Pr. Jean-Claude Franchitti wrote in their paper.

I like that a lot. The detail is great and the landing gear is really effective.
Thank you kindly. I guess it does look a lot like landing gear, but I designed the black structures to be some sort of docking clamps in a spaceport setting. I actually did try landing gear at first, but the model proved to be too heavy and was unstable. I have since reworked the stand and now they look more like clamps holding the ship in place.

Ah, I see what you mean. My model always wants to peck the floor. In the end, I made a small, wedge shaped support that plugs into the bottom and holds it up, just about!

Thanks. This is the only other picture of it I have to hand.
View attachment 1588876
I really like the Swan in this setting; so down to earth. I’ve always wondered how these ships ever got airborne. Steward Cowley in his TTA book mentioned something about a ‘Gravity Resist’ system used by a number of ships. I suppose some sort of anti gravity drive system would do the trick. Regards, mark.

The Hooded Swan in the novels from which the paintings come was powered by a 'Mass Relaxation Drive', in which a field was generated by the Drive which served to counteract the relativistic mass increase as the Swan gained speed. Lift off though was probably not achieved that way.

The Hooded Swan in the novels from which the paintings come was powered by a 'Mass Relaxation Drive', in which a field was generated by the Drive which served to counteract the relativistic mass increase as the Swan gained speed. Lift off though was probably not achieved that way.
Interesting.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back