The Hobby...Lives on. (And a gripe...sorry)

jamstraz

With the whole stimulus plus my tax return I bought everything I had on the list in my post Sticker Shock. The only problem now is paint. Is there any place cheaper to purchase paint online (including shipping) than Amazon and eBay? Otherwise I'm looking at $200 in paint alone. Many of these are 17ml especially the Vallejo. Halfway through I started link but then missed a few. Keep in mind, I have no LHS. There is a place that just opened up called the Griffon's Lair but I'm unsure of their prices. They seem to deal in minis and table top games

1585500568952.png

I would check out the new shop since that may have paints and supplies you can use, they may even be able to order things for you.

The last time I bought paint I got it from Mega Hobby
There is also Tower Hobby
Micro Mark

Do a Google search for model paint and search around for the best price even if it's on the other side of the world.
Some places ship pretty fast.

In the past I've managed to hit brick and mortar stores that where clearancing out paint brands or where going out of business ($20 for $100 worth of paint)

Also you don't have to buy all those paints, many can be mixed so there is less waste in getting something you will only need a tiny dab of.

Almost all the colors you have listed are standard, easy to find.
I'm guessing you want acrylic paints and not enamels.

Unless you are coating a large model, small bottles will last for several kit's.
For large areas I'd go rattle can or air brush.

Also many times the instructions are wrong in color choice.
In fact looking at the colors you have listed per ship some of them seam way off.
The D-7 you can rattle can.
Which Enterprise? the original and Refit have all the color's called out on line with correct colors from the Smithsonian for the TOS 11'.

I would suggest spending time looking at the Studio scale section of the forum as well as sites like CultTVMan, Starship Modeler, Hobby Talk.
There are usually discussions on custom mixing colors for a specific ship.
Do the digging, you will learn a lot, probably more than you would want to know.;)

Almost all the colors you have listed are standard, easy to find.
I'm guessing you want acrylic paints and not enamels.

Unless you are coating a large model, small bottles will last for several kit's.
For large areas I'd go rattle can or air brush.

Also many times the instructions are wrong in color choice.
In fact looking at the colors you have listed per ship some of them seam way off.
The D-7 you can rattle can.
Which Enterprise? the original and Refit have all the color's called out on line with correct colors from the Smithsonian for the TOS 11'.

I would suggest spending time looking at the Studio scale section of the forum as well as sites like CultTVMan, Starship Modeler, Hobby Talk.
There are usually discussions on custom mixing colors for a specific ship.
Do the digging, you will learn a lot, probably more than you would want to know.;)

I have an air brush my father gave me, it puts out at 25psi max, was planning on using the airbrush on all of these models nearly exclusively(maybe some hand painting here and there. Its the Enterprise Refit. And...rattle can burned me...horribly. (see My First Build) All of my builds are listed but I have no idea what would be considered big or small

I have an air brush my father gave me, it puts out at 25psi max, was planning on using the airbrush on all of these models nearly exclusively(maybe some hand painting here and there. Its the Enterprise Refit. And...rattle can burned me...horribly. (see My First Build) All of my builds are listed but I have no idea what would be considered big or small
What colors would you suggest? only one I corrected was the Romulan Warbird because bizarrely it called for blue.

D-7
2 tone and 3 tone
2 tone Green- Tamiya 1 part XF-21, 2 partsXF-23
Grey TamiyaXF-66
Alt paints
Krylon Satin Jade / Celery
Testors Grey
Alum Silver details w/ gold diamonds
Color under glyph and writing cream (not white)

Not sure on the call outs for the 3 tone since it was bookmarked on an old computer that died.

Search the forums for the real colors not a package deal that has things you don't need.
You don't need varnish (unless you're sealing decals) Testors flat coat will do or air brush some Future floor wax.

Grey primer, get a can of grey automotive lacquer like Dupli-Color at the auto parts store, Unless you're building a Bandai kit (use Tamiya) it should work fine.
Also get a tube Bondo spot putty for doing your seams.

Final note.
Don't get all your paints at once.
It may be a while before you get around to actually needing them.
Build one model at a time.

D-7
2 tone and 3 tone
Grey TamiyaXF-66
Alt paints
Krylon Satin Jade / Celery
Testors Grey
Alum Silver details w/ gold diamonds
Color under glyph and writing cream (not white)

Not sure on the call outs for the 3 tone since it was bookmarked on an old computer that died.

"
2 tone and 3 tone
Grey TamiyaXF-66" - ok so thats 3 diff paints here right? 21, 23 and 26 in flat

Search the forums for the real colors not a package deal that has things you don't need.
You don't need varnish (unless you're sealing decals) Testors flat coat will do or air brush some Future floor wax.

Grey primer, get a can of grey automotive lacquer like Dupli-Color at the auto parts store, Unless you're building a Bandai kit (use Tamiya) it should work fine.
Also get a tube Bondo spot putty for doing your seams.
I have Pledge Floor Finish, and Tamiya white putty. I've been building the D7, the PL BOP and the K'T'Inga in varying states. The BOP is nearly done, needs the rod for the wire (on the way). D7...I screwed up and am waiting on epoxy putty to fix it. K'T'Inga, is the least finished. Its not even glued together, just have some holes drilled for fiber and the torp launcher. Everything else is waiting on bases, rods, and a few other things here and there. (my arduino is...somewhere between here and China). I have to prime and paint. So thats why this post was made, looking for a cheaper retailer or other options. I want to avoid rattle cans because they tend to blow my pieces away, too much pressure and blow back

That $200.00 investment will last you a long time. You’ll be able to build several more models with them, not just the ones you listed. Hopefully you will use them up before they dry out in the bottle. I’ve head that happen with enamels.

A good place to try is Brookhurst Hobbies. They're a brick and mortar store but also have an online presence. I don't know how their prices compare to elsewhere but they will have a good selection.

The prices I have listed are including the shipping cost. So far the cheapest I know is my hobby lobby but they sell tiny little 1.5ml and 3ml bottles.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back