The Hobbit: Thorin Oakenshield Costume

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by EnfantDeGuerre, Apr 5, 2012.

1. EnfantDeGuerre

EnfantDeGuerre Active Member

I am going to use this thread to post resources and discuss the elements of the Thorin Oakenshield costume from the forthcoming The Hobbit movie.

[​IMG]

The link below has a number of images I have taken from the internet which show some of the elements of the costume. (These images may be a bit slow to load). I'll embed them in the thread in time.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s107/...aca07264faaa/173bc41ee107812e0cc8169aade26bb1

So far it seems that Thorin has the following upper layers. Please feel free to discuss this and contradict any assumptions I may have made.

• Long Tunic/Long Shirt - Deep blue.
    • Leather armoured surcoat with upper sleeves - Dark blue or black or grey with scale armour on the sleeves and upper body.
    • Sleeveless surcoat - Dark blue padded velvet with embossed pattern.
    • Alternative (dress) surcoat - Dark blue padded velvet with silver geometric embroidered pattern and fur lining.
    • Cloak - Fur lined suede.

I am leaving the accoutrements such as belts, weapons, etc. for the meantime along with trousers and boots.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
    Maeve Kaninchen likes this.
  2. EnfantDeGuerre

Thorin's Shirt/Tunic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some pages which have patterns which could be modified to make this shirt.
    http://www.reddawn.net/costume/shirt.htm
    http://web.archive.org/web/20051202015812/http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/teacher/highered/crafts/craft25.htm

The shirt appears to be made of dark blue linen and seems to have a deep throat slash tied with several laces.
    The shirt hangs long like a tunic and is slashed in the front, the sides and, possibly, the back. There is also a panel of fabric across the back and upper shoulders which is more of a contemporary/modern design.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  3. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Going to follow this thread... That's a cool ring too!

4. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

Definitely following too! Not enough dwarf love. I actually considered making a Gimli costume back in the day, but because my bf does Legolas, that'd be REALLY creepy LOL! :lol

5. enan

enan New Member

I wonder if he is wearing prosthetic hands/gloves to make them look thicker than human hands... I know that all the Hobbits wore fake feet.

Also that is definitely a cool shirt/tunic...very long and it looks like it is split all the way down the front and is laced to the waist, it looks like it is probably a stand up collar kind of like the ones on Elrond's robes in LOTR, I think it is also split on the sides probably to the waist. There looks like there is a gather along the sleeves and reinforcement panel along the shoulder...I have made several 18th century men's shirts and they have many of the same details. If I was going to make that I would start with a Kannick's Korner men's shirt pattern.

6. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

Oh, he definitely is. In fact it looks as if some of the prosthetic ripped a little on his thumb in this pic:

[​IMG]

7. Nibenon

Nibenon Active Member

Definitely following your progress. Are you going to try and have Orcrist or that sweet axe (or better yet, BOTH) 'cos that would be awesome!

8. EnfantDeGuerre

I am planning on the axe only at the moment. I have my doubts that the cinema will be happy about someone walking into the movie with a sword. The axe will be a relatively easy (and harmless) prop to make. I am working on the pattern and a calico sample for the shirt/tunic at the moment. When it is done I will post it here.

9. oneal

oneal New Member

my wife and i started on this costume last December but we put it on hold to finish my stormtrooper armor. now we are back on track for The Hobbit.

we made the scale mail out of sculpey and will duplicate it using resin, looking at these photos, the sleeves will be easier since there scales are only on the top of the sleeves and not wrap around under the arm. does that mean the scales on the body are only on the front and back? do the sides have any scales?

thanks for the detail photos of the under tunic, will start work on this too.

we found the fur and velvet for thorin's coat. would you know if the leather surcoat with the scale armor is black or a dark grey?

10. indiefilmgeek

indiefilmgeek Sr Member

Count me IN as well... I'll follow any dwarf builds! :):thumbsup

11. Powerhouse70

Powerhouse70 Active Member

Im confused which is creepy, you dressing like a dwarf or your bf doing Legolas? :)

12. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

*Dresses as *DRESSES AS*

><!!

13. SirRogue

SirRogue New Member

Count me in! I've been eyeing this since the first time I saw the Hobbit trailer, and having just gotten back from a movie where it ran again, I finally convinced myself that it has to happen! Definitely looking forward to casting that scale armor!

14. Finchy

Finchy New Member

Following this, hopefully you get it done before the movie comes out so you can wear it there

15. Gnef

Gnef New Member

Any thoughts on the best material to attach the plates to and best method of attachment? Leather? For attachment, maybe I don't mean "best", but most feasible considering time investment vs durability.

Thanks!

16. Gnef

Gnef New Member

17. SirRogue

SirRogue New Member

18. Guri

Guri Sr Member

That article was fascinating! The detail in these costume is amazing!

19. Andrewshaddox

Andrewshaddox Active Member

Following this for sure

20. Aragorn658

Aragorn658 New Member

So happy to see this thread, I love the look of thorin its so strong and demanding i myself started a thread on bilbos jacket from the hobbit and the art direction is wonderful. Id love to see someone do a prototype or what not.

21. Riven

Riven New Member

Any updates to this? :) Very interested in Thorin's constume.

22. Aragorn658

Aragorn658 New Member

right on!

23. Eowyn

Eowyn Member

I'm looking forward to seeing your Thorin costume! We're working on that costume, too. :)

24. Riven

Riven New Member

Any ideas for the scale plate type armor? I don't mind if it isnt exactly, just new to this sort of thing

25. oneal

oneal New Member

we are attaching the sculpey armor plates to fleece cloth and fashioning it into a t-shirt that is open in the back, using toggles to keep it closed, it wont be visible but it will feel right

26. oneal

oneal New Member

the wife and i were able to buy a lot of cheap parts for Thorin and Kili yesterday, flea market clothes make for great costumes. we spent about US$50 and got a leather coat, a velvet jacket, various shirts that can be turned into tunics, some already with hoods.

will post photos of our progress soon

27. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Very cool, Oneal! Are you going to start your own thread or update here? I want to follow for sure.

28. oneal

oneal New Member

i'll post updates here, no need to make a new thread.

29. oneal

oneal New Member

i'll post the progress of the armor scales later.
    right now i was wondering if anyone can help me figure out how to make the beards properly for Thorin, Kili and Fili. its hard to find liquid latex in Manila so we might have to use white glue(elmers) or a gelatin/glycerol mix to make a prosthetic appliance with the hair already embedded then use spirit gum to stick on our faces.
    the main problem is that Kili will be portrayed by my wife and Fili another female friend. :p
    so we'll really need to glue some hair to their face.
    as for me, i can grow some facial hair but clearly not enough to look like a dwarf, the drawbacks of being asian :D

we will try out the gelatin method this weekend, i'll keep you posted.

30. adms1117

adms1117 New Member

good pics, cant wait to see finished product

31. Riven

Riven New Member

I'm going to try Crepe hair with spirit gum for beard. Also found some human beards already made at my local halloween shop, it looks more real. However the crepe should work.

What I am having an issue with is the wig, I can't find anything that really fits. Any ideas welcome. The plates I made out of foam sheets, sealed them, painted them and weathered them. They look quite nice...not perfect but this is my first time trying to do this and I don't have a lot of time.

I find conflicting colors on the Thorin posters and pictures. It looks like a really dark blue (the entire outfit) but other times it looks like a dark black. I'm going with black for now.

32. Jayn

Jayn Sr Member

Thanks for those photos! I'm working on a Bofur costume for myself and hadn't seen that pic of the undershirt.
    Got the scarf well underway, well ver.2 of it, and have most all of those other parts purchased & planned out. Good luck on all the other builds!

33. oneal

oneal New Member

i did a trial run of the full Thorin costume last night at the local geek fight trivia night, the theme was An Unexpected Journey. we won the game and some good friends didn't even recognize me :)

i wanted to see how the mustache and beard would hold up with me laughing, talking and doing jumping jacks (part of the game) i think it held up well for over 5 hours and only started coming off when we ate.
    i used liquid latex in layers with the synthetic hairs glued flat on my face, tomorrow i'll try using spirit gum with the hair glued on end.

unfortunately it was a bit dark so we couldn't get clear photos last night.

on tuesday we will try the better method for me as thorin and my wife as Kili with a 6 0'clock shadow. hope to get good photos.

34. Riven

Riven New Member

Oneal did you post pictures somewhere?

35. craden

craden Member

does anyone have any screenshots of this oak shield as i would love to build one :)

36. oneal

oneal New Member

sorry, things have been so hectic here with 3 consecutive screenings:
    1st the HFR 3D with the New Zealand embassy ambassador
    2nd was the WB Press Screening at the IMAX 3D theater with the rest of the NZ embassy staff
    3rd was a tour of three malls with sponsor block screenings.

personally, we got spoiled by the HFR since the IMAX looked blurry in some parts.
    most of our photos are still all over facebook, i'll put a few here.

37. oneal

oneal New Member

there are some nice reference shots in the Visual Companion book, it even shows andy serkis holding it with the arm straps visible

38. oneal

oneal New Member

39. oneal

oneal New Member

i'm not sure if the facebook links are accessible publicly. i'll post a few shots here

40. muttmo

muttmo Well-Known Member

Love your costumes.. Incredible work.. Hope you liked the film.

41. oneal

oneal New Member

of course we loved the film, i've read the books at least 6 times since the early 80's while my wife read it in the 90's and she just re-read it recently. we know the changes were Peter Jackson's artistic license and i think it worked nicely.

we plan to see it again after a week or so

42. Hunt270

Hunt270 Member

What did you use to make the scales on the mail?

43. GermanIronMan

GermanIronMan New Member

lovely thread... subscribed

44. oneal

oneal New Member

we used Sculpey. we made a mold and cast over 200 scales for thorin's armor shirt. i think we made about 400 scales total including scrap and other detailing

45. craden

craden Member

agreed this thread is awesome! thanks for the info on the oak shield :)

46. Hunt270

Hunt270 Member

Awesome! thanks for the answer!

47. Bountys Hunted

Bountys Hunted Well-Known Member

Costumes turned out awesome! I've been tempted to make Dwalin, but the headwork, the large false skull, wig and hair work, the prosthetic nose, forearms and hands...seem daunting.

But, not impossible. At least the head part! :lol

48. oneal

oneal New Member

Our Dwalin was already a large, semi-muscular and balding, he even shaved his beard and head completely to make it easier to stick the fur carpet to his head and face, we also had someone draw the tattoos on his head using liquid eyeliner. we plan to make a stamp template to make the tattoos consistent, this is similar to what Weta did for the movie Dwalin.

49. SirRogue

SirRogue New Member

So what is everyone's reaction now that the first movie is out? I've been forcing myself not to get started on this costume until I was sure I would like it, rather than invest the time and money on something I'd regret making, but I think I'm even more excited to get started on this now than before!

50. acesh007

acesh007 Active Member

Love the scaling. Looks good.