The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by ob1al, Jan 28, 2012.

1. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I noticed when rewatching the trailer for 'The Hobbit' that Gandalf has a different staff. Not the same as the one he carries in Fellowship:

[​IMG]

Later in the trailer, we see Gandalf using the staff to illuminate the way, similar to the Mines of Moria sequence in Fellowship. It looks like there is a crystal embedded in the staff:

[​IMG]

Can't wait for the movie, it should open up a lot of new prop ideas and collectables from the franchise.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff

I took a few screenshots from the trailer, enhanced them and put into a collage. Click on the thumbnail for the image in 1:1 scale. (Thank you Peter Jackson for a trailer in 1080p!)
    [​IMG]

In the larger images, we see almost the same side of the staff crown in only slightly different angles. The small image on the bottom, I think must be what we would see if it was rotated only slightly to the right.

I think that it looks like some whiter latticework inside the crown, surrounded by the brown branches, and it is that that is glowing.

3. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

I like the FOTR staff more, but I think we will see a replica from Noble or UC someday...

Guri likes this.
  4. Stivie

Stivie Well-Known Member

As crazy as it sounds, it almost looks like it is Gandalf the white staff underneath. It doesn't make any sense timeline wise, but would kind of be a cool concept.

5. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That thought occurred to be also, but the white staff's crown is too big to fit in there.

I wonder how one would try to cast this staff.. One thing I do know: it would have to be broken up into many small pieces ...

6. Kit Rae

Kit Rae Well-Known Member

UC is making this one. I am supervising the replica for them. I can't say what is inside the crown on this version, but you guys hit close to the mark. I have no idea how it will tie into the story line, if it is even explained, but I found it very interesting when I first saw it. The prop ( Built by 3 Foot 7 for the production) is incredible.

7. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Interesting... Any other stuff or top secret?!? :love :lol

8. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Wizards go through staffs like Jedi go through lightsabers!

Great that you are supervising the replica Kit - looking forward to seeing the details! BTW you should put the good word in with UC to make a Fellowship Gandalf staff too - big gap in the market for that one.

9. Kit Rae

We had planned on doing both FOTR staffs until we found out New Line licensed Noble for the same thing, so we just did the white staff. We did have tons of requests for the other staffs later on, and if we could have gotten a prop of either wood staff from Weta at the time we wanted to do one, we would have. They had stopped production completely on LOTR after ROTK came out so it just was not going to happen.

As it is now, the LOTR license is completely dead, so if the LOTR Gandalf staff is not in The Hobbit (not in the first film, but I don't know about the second), it won't get made.

All top secret. I can't talk about anything unless the studio releases info, video, or photos. At that point it is no longer secret, like the staff in the trailer :)

10. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Hmmm... So, I think nothing from the LOTR trilogy will be re-released, even from other companies?!? So no hope for a new Gandalf the frey staff or Galadriels Phial.

Uhm... Yeah, but there was a lot of other stuff in die trailer... The dwarfs carry some weapons, there was Narsil and Sting, too... :lol

11. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Sting looks the same.

I was worried they would change it if they contracted a dose of starwarsprequelitis.

12. eegah

eegah Well-Known Member

The sting in the trailer didn't have the inscription yet, did it?

13. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

[​IMG]

I think you're correct - the same sword without the inscription. So I'm guessing Bilbo names it 'Sting' and the elves inscribe it for him at Rivendell?

14. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Here's a few more; The shards of Narsil and some more sting screen grabs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

There is only one dark line on the sword, on the LOTR sword there are two thin lines with the engravings between...

If there won't be a complete new engraving by the elves for the blade, than it looks like its a different version of the sword... Possible?!?

16. Kit Rae

I think Sting was discussed in another thread.

I don't know about other companies, but if the LOTR licenses were not renewed, no. UC will likely rerelease weapons from LOTR that are also in The Hobbit, but much of the LOTR line is still available on the market.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  17. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Thanks Kit. yeah deffo the same sword with the engraving missing:

[​IMG]

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Sting

Maegnas aen estar nin dagnir in yngyl im

Which is translated "Maegnas is my name, I am the spider's bane" (Maegnas is neo-Sindarin for "Sting")

Since the sword was given a name by Bilbo and the inscription mentions Bilbo's adventure, it can be supposed that the Elves engraved the letters on the ancient sword while Bilbo was in Rivendell.

18. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

So, after all, it is a different sword in the hobbit, just without the engraving...

I ask... :):lol

19. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Did you mean to write isn't?

It isn't a different sword. It's exactly the same one, before Bilbo named it 'Sting' and had it engraved.

Same as how Narsil is the same sword as Andruil, just without the engravings. :thumbsup

20. jedimarkj

jedimarkj Well-Known Member

I cannot wait for some of these swords and props to come out!

It's too bad about not redoing the Gandalf the Grey staff(s) , there's definitely a market for it.

21. Kit Rae

Well, if the one from FOTR happens to be in the second Hobbit film, it may get made. We are still wading through all of the film 1 props to see what to make. All I can say is that the props are the same excellent quality we have come to expect from Weta. Lots of thought went into the designs.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  22. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

23. Kit Rae

Orcrist is obviously #1. I love the scabbard prop.

Oh, I know. I REALLY wanted a replica of each - the pre Orthanc staff(with the pipe) and post Orthanc staff (with the crystal). Most people want the latter and don't even realize the first one was different. It is never explained where he got the second staff.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  24. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

I think it is...
    Its a different version... It is NOT the same sword, because there is no engraving...
    The last post was about the gandalf the grey staff, thats like you call it the same...

If you tell me now, the sword in in the story of the movie the same, yes, then it is... But I wouldn't go so far to call it the same prop.

Same for Narsil and anduril. Thats a different Story. Narsil is not Anduril. If Narsil would be Anduril it would be called Anduril.
    And as far as I know, Anduril is a little bit longer than Narsil.

But enough of that nerd talk... :lol

I hope, in the name of my wallet, they won't do so much stuff like for the LOTR trilogy... Thank god, only 2 movies are comming... :)

25. VortexRunner

VortexRunner Active Member

Gandalf the White's Staff in the crown?? It looks like it's there. Maybe the sapling unfurls to reveal it?

26. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I think we are talking at cross purposes. In the story it's the same sword and accordingly, the prop designers appear to have used the same design as the 'Sting' prop from 'LOTR' to recreate it, just without the engraving.

I'm glad to see that level of continuity with LOTR, rather than see a different or "improved" Sting design.

27. ecl

ecl Sr Member

*, I've always loved the weapons in these films; very excited to see the replicas eventually.

28. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Maybe... But isn't the engraving an important part of the design, independent from the fact that the engravings are story-based...

I just said that it looks like another design this time, because the "line" on the blade is different to any of the lines on the LOTR sting...

I dont know how the ellves engrave swords (magic?!? :lol) but they have to engrave OVER the line whats already there or have to remove that line, because to me it looks like it goes straight TROUGH the other lines, later on sting in LOTR...

29. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

It looks like the line is pretty much in the right place to me. I think some of the angles in the screen grabs are throwing it off a bit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Hmmmmmm. Yeah... Could be... On some pics it looks really like there is no space left for the new engravings.

But then I'm curious about one last detail.

If this engraving was there from the beginning and the elves added a new engraving next to the old, then there should be a line from the first engraving exactly in the middle; between the old and the new engraving.

31. 666

666 Member

Is going to be what producers decide or fx prop department build, if it match the timeline, ok, and if not, is not going to be the first time..
    people can try to imagine a timeline, what happen, or how this is possible, it doesn't matter, not always we have a perfect timeline in movies, and objects on it, change...

why a new Staff? why a different sword, why dwarfs?, not everything has a timeline explanation , even in that way, I LOVE THE MOVIE

32. Kit Rae

The etches on the two actually fit nearly precisely over one another. I know because that is the first thing I checked when I saw the prop. I still have an original Sting prop.

Don't go by the UC replica etch, because it is actually reverse of what it is supposed to look like. The etch on UC's Museum Collection version is much more accurate.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  33. jedimarkj

jedimarkj Well-Known Member

Very interesting little tidbit...
    Ditto, I would like both versions and to have the pipe for the first staff as well would have been neat!

Speaking of staffs, I cannot wait to see if Saruman has a different staff (anything you can share Kit? ;) ) as well and, of course, Radagast's!
    Look forward to seeing these made!

The other thing I look forward to seeing made is Bard's bow and, of course, the legendary arrow... That would be a great set to own!
    Still far ways I know but just thinking about new props to acquire is exciting :D

34. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Thanks for the info Kit.:thumbsup

35. VortexRunner

VortexRunner Active Member

I'm glad they still have Gandalf's symbol on the new staff...

36. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

The last Bows were made by different companies... There was no Bow from UC, Noble, whatever?!?

I have the first Legolas Bow from FOTR made by a company in Italy... But hate to display Bows, they take too much space... :)

Lets wait fo the movie first.

In LOTR we have the main characters Frodo, Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas & Gimli and we see which character and sword take a leading role in the story. So, Im sure some people will know what stuff they want, when the movie is released... We know that Bilbo is important, so Sting is important, but I guess we have to wait which dwarf of the 13 will have a special role in both movies... Otherwise, if they seem to have all the same part in the movie, it's just a question of which sword looks better than others...

37. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I'm looking forward to Sylvester McCoy's cameo as Radagast. It'll be interesting to see the staff design and costume design as well. Assuming it'll be, um, brown.

38. Kit Rae

I think Saruman's was seen at the end of one of Jackson Hobbit video blogs last year.

UC added bows to the license, along with a few other categories, around 2001 as I recall. We got the Legolas Lothlorien bow prop from Weta and were all set to go on the replica, submitted out concept for approval - then New Line suddenly said we did not have the license. We pulled the contract amendment and found they removed it from the listing just before it was signed. They did not tell anyone, and no one noticed. They even let us get the prop from Weta too! None of it made any sense, then we heard they had granted another license later to a German (?) company. I saw some product pix of a bow and shield from them, but I don't know if those ever got to market. Anyway, that's why UC never made any bows. It was a shame because people really WANTED those elven bows.

UC does have bows in the license for The Hobbit, but I think they will wait until film 1 is released to see how much use they will get.

39. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Oh yeah, the Elven bow, Legolas gets from Galadriel, was made by a german company, I remember...

I saw a short documentary in tv hows these bow get made... Then they were sold out, but later a new Lothlorien bow opos up, but I dont know if still the german company was responsible for the bow...

As already mentioned, the classic Legolas bow (as seen in my avatar) was made by an italian company named NLC(???).

There was also a quiver for $600, no idea who made it...

40. Kit Rae

Here is the Italian bow.
    [​IMG]

And this is the Lothlorien bow that HGC was selling a few years ago.
    [​IMG]
    Lord of the Rings Lothlorien Legolas Bow

I heard horror stories about that one. People ordered and it took over a year to get them, or they never got them. Looking at the photos, the color is a bit off, but the sculpting and shape is very accurate to the prop. I still have an original prop and one of the arrows.

41. xena10ares

xena10ares Well-Known Member

well, as one of the owners of the lothlorien bows by HCG, I can say it took WAY longer to get than they said, they kept giving us new dates, new excuses, new dates again....finally got the bow. I love it, the colors are off, but doesnt bother me much...and dont know if anyone else had the same problem, but my bow came warpped....yep a brand new RESIN bow, and it is bent... i was sooo scared to send it back because it took so long to get...so now i have a bent bow...

42. Kit Rae

That's too bad. I know one of the guys who runs HCG. I worked with him many years ago when UC did the First Blood and Rambo knife prop replicas. He was kind of a sourcing agent for us, getting contact names for new licenses we were interested in.

Does your bow flex? The screen props were Urethane with a steel or wood core. My prop actually has about a 20lb draw on it, so it can actually shoot an arrow. The draw string is braided from a dozen or so strands, including a gold colored string woven through the middle. Very fine. Some kind of animal sinew ties off the end loops. The detail Weta put into it is nutty.

43. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

That was the 2nd bow, the first had a different Wall Plaque... where you can display the arrows with... Sadly I found no photo of it...

After they were sold out, a new run appears with that wall plaque...

44. Goodwolf

Goodwolf Sr Member

"To Legolas she gave a bow such as the Galadhrim used, longer and stouter than the bows of Mirkwood, and strung with a string of elf-hair. With it went a quiver of arrows." (Farewell to Lóren, FOTR)

I suspect the gold string is the elf hair. That's a nice attention to detail.

45. xena10ares

xena10ares Well-Known Member

No it does not flex... the detail on this bow truly is amazing despite the bow being bent... it is HUGE and it also has a gold string wrapped into the bow's string...very cool detail. I will try and get some good pics of the bow and post them.

46. Arwyniel

Arwyniel Well-Known Member

Guri likes this.
  47. JamesM

JamesM New Member

Wow, so great to see Kit Rae posting here! I can't wait to see what comes out for the Hobbit movies, even though it's still over a year away - Orcrist will be the highlight for me.

48. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Not quite a year. 14th December 2012 - just 316 days to go.:unsure

[​IMG]

49. Guri

Guri Sr Member

My skin just tingled... I guess I'm excited about this. Having just watched the Lord of the Rings with my 10 year old for the first time (my 13 year old has seen it 3x now) the younger decided he wants a Legolas costume, and a bow.

I started to make one before that was cheap and now I will likely go all out for this one. I sure hope Legolas shows up in the Hobbit... Looking forward to the Thranduil costume for sure, maybe my oldest can do that one.

*mommy heaven*

50. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I think Orlando Bloom has signed up, so Legolas will make an appearance in one, or both of the new movies.