The Hobbit - Dain Ironfoot Helmet

Phillygene

I did a project on this helmet awhile back. Then recently picked up a 3d printer and thought it would be a good first full scale print to try out. Took way longer than I thought to get it prepped for printing but learned a lot from the process. Still sorting out what sanding and soothing techniques works best for getting rid of the print lines. May have gotten lazy with some areas but everything is primed. Right now I'm figuring out how I want to paint this.

dwarf_helmet_01.001.jpgdwarf_helmet_texture_02.JPGdwarf_helmet_texture_01.JPG

Some of the separate prints.
dwarf_helmet_parts.JPG

Small scale paint test.
dwarf_helmet_paint_test.jpg

Primed and ready for painting.
dwarf_helmet_prime.JPG

Nice tip on the wood glue. I'll test that out on another helmet. Trying to find a balance between cost effectiveness, detail loss, and time. I used filler primer and bondo for this. Maybe there's no real shortcuts when it comes to sanding.

the main part of the screen used helmets were painted with a base coat of silver acrylic and washed over several times with watered down black acrylic. To get that coppery effect, paint over it with wood stain and dab it off with a rag until there is only a thin coat left over the top, tinting the silver.

the main part of the screen used helmets were painted with a base coat of silver acrylic and washed over several times with watered down black acrylic. To get that coppery effect, paint over it with wood stain and dab it off with a rag until there is only a thin coat left over the top, tinting the silver.

thanks I'll try some of that out

Long over due for an update. Holidays, and weather had been slowing me down a bit. Here 's a start on the paint job. Already have a base coat of black underneath the tape. Trying out rub n buff to get some kind of brass or copper look.
dwarf_helmet_tape2.jpg

This project has been put off for far too long but finally it's complete.

Paint work involved black base coat, autumn gold rub n buff, matte umber wash for the dirt crevices. Testors buffable paint was used to get a worn look and scratches along the edges. A combo of fine steel wool and light sandpaper.

I don't think I'm going to go as far as adding horse hair to the crest to make if fully complete. I think I'll just call it done for now even though there are little things I can do.

dwarf_paint_front.jpgdwarf_paint_side.jpg

What 3D printer did you purchase? Thanks

Sorry for the late reply. Forgot to put notifications on this thread.

I may be able to print some extra pieces. But I need to rework how I sliced up the model to be more printer friendly and add some extra reinforcements. Some areas were a pain to glue together. I'm a bit limited with time, but pm me and I can keep you updated if I get around to it.

I used a MakerGear to print the pieces. A solid printer, although a larger build are would be nice.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back