The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy's "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Q Is For K12

So, I'm a bit new here and I have a VERY limited budget. However, I was able to produce this veryvery mediocre replica of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

560599_3182377953044_1073560320_32877187_1831708270_n.jpg

295114_3182376953019_1073560320_32877184_585432661_n.jpg

(kelvin8 on deviantART in case people can't see the image above)

Which I built from this papercraft: Hitchhiker's guide by ScannerJOE on deviantART

Originally I built it all together, gave it some cardboard backing, painted 3 layers of Mod Podge over it, spray painted it 2 layers of silver, then one layer of black, and received the end result you see up there. Unfortunately, it looks terrible to me.

I'm going to build another one soon, but before I do - I was wondering if you guys could give me some cheap ways to make it look more screen accurate (AKA smooth, non brushy cover/right texture for cover, getting the metal the right shiny brushed metal texture, and being able to actually scratch it without peeling off all the layers of spray paint).

Attached is some reference pictures I took of the Guide (one of them is a replica I found here) just in case.

Thanks! - Kelvin.

Thanks! By the way, to anyone else who was ever interested in building this prop, I figured out the fonts to the spine logo. Well sorta, I used a combination of both WhoopA** and KiloGram in recreating the spine logo.

I can't remember what I used to recreate the book's index but I'll upload what I made anyways. It's pretty large. The other decals I'll be using in Mark II is around this site somewhere as well. Made by people much better than me...

I mocked up 2 guides today for my Ford Prefect costume for PAX at the end of the month (the second one is for my friend Christine who is going to be my Arthur Dent). It's not exactly screen accurate, but I think they look pretty good:
tumblr_m98yarO0Gm1qapezxo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m98yarO0Gm1qapezxo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m98yarO0Gm1qapezxo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_m98yarO0Gm1qapezxo4_1280.jpg

Made them out of some DVD steelbook cases I had. Used craft foam for the bumper panels. Printed the logo, spine and don't panic on gloss paper and glued them on. Made one backwards accidentally, but I'm far too lazy to fix it :p

All of these look great. I have been wanting to do a version from the BBC TV production. Started it in high school, but never got past the start. This is making me want to break that out and give it another go. :thumbsup

Avolow.

that's actually pretty cool! i kinda want to make one now, maybe one where i could rig up lighting on the front and back covers like in the movie but the inside would still be the image you provided, but lit up, sort of like how the screen on a macbook illuminates the apple symbol when its on.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back