The Hellbound Heart: Pinheaded Cenobite

Buliwif

Hey everybody. I've been around but this is my first official post. I'm a fan of Hellraiser, and as much as I enjoy the designs of the myriad Cenobites showcased by the many films, both good and bad, That being said, while reading the original novella, THE HELLBOUND HEART by Clive Barker, I couldn't help but notice that the cenobites described in print are vastly different than what appeared in the film. The biggest example of this is the Pinheaded Cenobite. In the novella, Pinhead is unmistakably a female.

Well, based on Barker's original descriptions and my own interest in adding my own slant on the dinizens of Hell, I figured I'd see what I could do with the female version of Pinhead. So starting with a digital concept I made several years ago, I dove in.
pinheadedcenobitever1.png

This topic will follow my progress as I sculpt, mold and cast a resin bust of the female pinheaded cenobite.

To start, I began roughing out the head using grey sulphur free plastilina over a plastic female mannequin head (you all know the type)
a9.pnga8.pnga7.pnga6.pnga5.pnga4.pnga3.pnga2.pnga1.pnga10.png

- - - Updated - - -

a bit more refining, locking down the shape of the face...

b2.pngb1.pngb3.pngb4.pngb5.pngb6.pngb7.pngb8.png

- - - Updated - - -

and now starting the details.... blocking out the gridlines and starting the scarification:

c3.pngc2.pngc1.pngc4.png

From here the scarification is going to get intense. I'll be posting updates as often as possible. Hope you enjoy!

I am a huge Hellraiser fan (and Clive Barker). I really like your design. I look forward to seeing your sculpture take shape. Have you read "The Scarlet Gospels"? It's his latest work tied to "the Hellbound Heart". The sculpture looks good so far...

Thanks! I'm trying to go with something that's as beautiful as it is ghastly, so it's going to be tricky figuring out how far I want to go with the scarification and piercing. And no I hadn't even heard about the Scarlet Gospels. I've got to check that out! Thanks!

Here's an update. I've laid down the major scars on my pinheaded cenobite:

d12.pngd2.pngd3.pngd4.pngd5.pngd6.pngd7.pngd10.pngd11.pngd1.png

The raised scars are basically just blocked out. They still need to be refined (the whole thing needs to be refined) and thinned out some. The next step is cleaning up the grid lines.
I'm taking my time on this one, so sorry it's taking so long :D

MORE TO COME!

Attachments

• d9.png
    d9.png
    672.5 KB · Views: 202
  • d8.png
    d8.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 149
Thank you so much! As is often the case, work gets in the way of me making the kind of progress I want to be making on it, but I'll get there! I'm focusing on the grid lines right now and should have more pics to show soon!

-mini update- WHooooo I'm having some creative obstacles when it comes to the grid pattern. In the novella The grid pattern is actually intricate tattoos, as opposed to the movie's straight forward slices in the head... I'm wanting to do something kind of in between with a pattern that's a little more... elegant than just the standard criss-crossing lines...

So anyway, I've used some jewelry wire cut into roughly 1 inch sections to serve as place holders for the pins (which will be a project in themselves) and I've got them placed, so now I just have to figure out the pattern I'm going to use in between them... pics forthcoming, so watch this space!

okey doke. This grid pattern has been a royal pain in my posterior, but I finally think I got it.... anyway, here's what I was working with:

s1.pngs2.png

Using pink wire as place holders, you can see the same old boring pinhead layout that's been doe to death, and I couldn't do it... as much as I wanted to I just couldn't do it and it was driving me batty... so I started to work on some of the refining and start the process of texturing and I'd just see what came up...

x1.pngx2.pngx3.pngx4.pngx5.pngx6.pngx7.png

So much to talk about here: the lips have been refined and detailed more, the facial scarring has been taken back some so that it wasn't overpowering, started texturing the skin some but I think I need to take that back a bit as well (texturing female skin is kind of a paradox, since the heavier you go the more realistic it looks, but the heavier you go, the farther away from beautiful soft skin you go... ohhh complexities)

oh yeah, and EARS! I'm planning something interesting with her ears... hopefully it will work...

anyway, with the pins I decided to go with a repeating delta pattern... cross hatching, I guess you'd call it. it cut down on the amount of pins and it looks more... fashionable? I dunno, we'll see...

Hope you like so far... more to come!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back