The heat is on

Darth Domain

OK, i've managed to wear the rubies bucket and suffer the heat but the other night did a 4 hour stint in it and was close to heat exhaustion at the end. Along with that, the lenses were full of condensation so i couldn't see out of them most of the night. Where on earth am i supposed to put A fan in it, i just can not figure this out due to the lack of space. Also, what type of fan? Any help is greatly appreciated

Originally posted by Darth Domain@Dec 10 2005, 08:52 PM
OK, i've managed to wear the rubies bucket and suffer the heat but the other night did a 4 hour stint in it and was close to heat exhaustion at the end. Along with that, the lenses were full of condensation so i couldn't see out of them most of the night. Where on earth am i supposed to put  A fan in it, i just can not figure this out due to the lack of space. Also, what type of fan? Any help is greatly appreciated
[snapback]1133123[/snapback]​

Small CPU fans are sometimes used,they run on batteries so that's easy but locating them can be a problem,especially on closer fitting helmets.

You could always have them detatchable so you put the helmet on,then clip the fan inside the helmet just under your chin.

Originally posted by Darth Domain@Dec 10 2005, 04:52 PM
OK, i've managed to wear the rubies bucket and suffer the heat but the other night did a 4 hour stint in it and was close to heat exhaustion at the end. Along with that, the lenses were full of condensation so i couldn't see out of them most of the night. Where on earth am i supposed to put  A fan in it, i just can not figure this out due to the lack of space. Also, what type of fan? Any help is greatly appreciated

I mounted my cpu fan on the lower mouth vent. You can see my fan from the pics in this thread:

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...opic=100800&hl=

Look at the 2nd pic of my modded Rubies helmet. You can see the fan there. I mount the battery with velcro, works like a charm. I have the fan in the same place on both my fiberglass and Rubies lid.

I got my fans from triktoys, but they are easy to make yourself.

Originally posted by DarthKahnt+Dec 10 2005, 11:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthKahnt @ Dec 10 2005, 11:08 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Domain
@Dec 10 2005, 04:52 PM

I mounted my cpu fan on the lower mouth vent. You can see my fan from the pics in this thread:

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...opic=100800&hl=

Look at the 2nd pic of my modded Rubies helmet. You can see the fan there. I mount the battery with velcro, works like a charm. I have the fan in the same place on both my fiberglass and Rubies lid.
Yes, thanks i can see clearly where you put the fan, where does your breathing device go?

I got my fans from triktoys, but they are easy to make yourself.
[snapback]1133192[/snapback]​
[/b]

The CPU fan I used had four mounting holes in the corners, I used a longer screw on the mic tip and ran it through the CPU fan mounting hole.

I wore the helmet for hours at the CC in San Diego and stayed cool and my lenses were fog free. Also, my helmet is pulled off a movie helmet and it smaller then most, but the CPU fan fit fine.
[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/trooperhelmet007.jpg[/image]

Did you mean a Rubies Vader or a Rubies Stormtrooper helmet?

Originally posted by Darth Domain@Dec 10 2005, 04:52 PM

By the way, I should also say that it is important to mount a fan in such a way that the fan has space behind it to draw air into it. It is no good to mount a fan directly against something that is not porus as it will not be able to draw air. That is why the mouth grids on the Vader helmet are the ideal place to mount a fan, the mesh is full of holes and allows for a lot of air flow into the fan.

Some people like to have the fan blowing air into the helmet, others prefer to turn the fan around so that it actually blows air out of the helmet. Do what works best for you.

Originally posted by James Kenobi 1138@Dec 11 2005, 06:02 AM
The CPU fan I used had four mounting holes in the corners, I used a longer screw on the mic tip and ran it through the CPU fan mounting hole.

I wore the helmet for hours at the CC in San Diego and stayed cool and my lenses were fog free.  Also, my helmet is pulled off a movie helmet and it smaller then most, but the CPU fan fit fine.
[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/trooperhelmet007.jpg[/image]

Did you mean a Rubies Vader or a Rubies Stormtrooper helmet?
[snapback]1133404[/snapback]​
its a vader

Hi, I'm not exactly a "technical" person so can anyone give a step by step tutorial on how to set up a fan and place it inside a Rubies Vader bucket? Thanks.

Originally posted by Darth Domain@Dec 10 2005, 08:52 PM
hey the fans work great , like darth kahnt said. i also have the rubies helmet and with the fan , i am very surprise you lasted 4 hours in that helmet. i also have the stormtooper armor and helmet , i have 3 fans set up in that , you have to have them to cool you down. as for the lens fogging up , i bought some anti fogging solution that you spray on the lens to prevent them from fogging. most sports shops have them for hockey helmets or ski doo helmets. hope that helps you. rod

Originally posted by TK-427+Dec 11 2005, 12:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TK-427 @ Dec 11 2005, 12:35 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Domain
@Dec 10 2005, 08:52 PM
hey the fans work great , like darth kahnt said. i also have the rubies helmet and with the fan , i am very surprise you lasted 4 hours in that helmet. i also have the stormtooper armor and helmet , i have 3 fans set up in that , you have to have them to cool you down. as for the lens fogging up , i bought some anti fogging solution that you spray on the lens to prevent them from fogging. most sports shops have them for hockey helmets or ski doo helmets. hope that helps you. rod
[snapback]1133471[/snapback]​
[/b]
Thanks for that, i only just managed to last the four hours, i was actually starting to show signs of heat exhaustion/dehydration. Quite scary

Originally posted by Darth Domain@Dec 11 2005, 07:26 AM
cheers for that Mr Kahnt, where do you have your breathing device  though?
[snapback]1133455[/snapback]​

I have my breathing device mounted on my belt for now. Just the Rubies one that came with the costume. However I plan to upgrade to an MP3 player and speakers very soon and will have to mount that in my helmet.

I cant imagine having to be in that helmet for 4 hours without a fan. Myself and TK-427 did an eight hour gig and if not for the fan I would have died I think. :D

I will try and post a tutorial in another thread for how to mount the helmet fan. If I have time tonight I will do it.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back