The Green Knight

That looks incredible! It's about damn time that we see some classic Arthurian Legends and classical mythologies translated into big screen adaptations. Thanks for sharing.

I saw it and, well... If you enjoy the fast paced story telling of modern cinema, this is not the film for you. I'm not saying it's a bad film. I did enjoy it. It's just that the just over 2 hour run time felt like 4.

From the trailer I get the sense it's a slow paced psychological film rather than an action adventure. The tone feels atmospheric and personal which I'm excited about because it's taking a different approach to the genre. I'm very much looking forward to this movie.

It's funny no one is remembering that this story has already been told on film: 1984's Sword of the Valiant, starting Sean Connery as the Green Knight. I have such fond memories of watching this with my mom and loving it.

I wasn't aware of that movie but I'll have to check it out. Then again there are so many versions of Arthurian legends over the centuries that it's only fitting that there can be different interpretations of the material. I'm relieved that this movie doesn't look to be trying to imitate LOTR or any modern sensibilities. It looks like a specific artistic vision and using the genre of fantasy and medieval settings to tell a very personal journey of Gawain examining his knighthood and purpose in life. Metaphorically I'm sure it will explore lots of heavy themes and to me that's when a film really works well when it can use a genre in unexpected ways to explore deeper issues.

Interesting, but I'm not sure how interested I am in seeing this. I watch too many Medieval weapons and armor videos on YouTube to be able to go into this without nitpicking the hell out of it.

I watch too many Medieval weapons and armor videos on YouTube to be able to go into this without nitpicking the hell out of it.

Not to worry. You hardly see any of that sort of stuff. This really isn't your typical Medieval fantasy film.

Definitely going to make people angry. It’s an art house type film, which is why I loved it. Very weird, great production design, and slow beyond belief, but in a good way, I think. Really good casting (mostly…) and just very strange. It won’t appeal to most anyone, though. People looking for a faithful retelling of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight will dislike it. People looking for an accurate representation of medieval England will dislike it. People looking for something like Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings will dislike it. Did I have a few gripes? Sure, mostly minor. But I enjoyed myself immensely. The Green Knight in particular had a great design, everything from his weird tree-like face, to the wonderful sound design whenever he moved or spoke.

It's funny no one is remembering that this story has already been told on film: 1984's Sword of the Valiant, starting Sean Connery as the Green Knight. I have such fond memories of watching this with my mom and loving it.
I remembered. That movie was my introduction to Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. But I couldn't remember the name of the movie!

Definitely going to make people angry. It’s an art house type film, which is why I loved it. Very weird, great production design, and slow beyond belief, but in a good way, I think. Really good casting (mostly…) and just very strange. It won’t appeal to most anyone, though. People looking for a faithful retelling of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight will dislike it. People looking for an accurate representation of medieval England will dislike it. People looking for something like Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings will dislike it. Did I have a few gripes? Sure, mostly minor. But I enjoyed myself immensely. The Green Knight in particular had a great design, everything from his weird tree-like face, to the wonderful sound design whenever he moved or spoke.

This is why it looks intriguing to me. It doesn't at all look like an epic fantasy or typical medieval type movie. It looks more like Pan's Labyrith in tone. Very cerebral, very minimal. Very artsy.

Cool. I'm looking forward to it. I've been craving to watch some arthouse type movies for a while now because it's been a long time and this might just fit the bill.

I have my gripes with David Lowrey as a director, so while I'm very interested in this film, it sounds like it leans far into his "A Ghost Story" corner and that concerns me.

Saw this on Tuesday night when I got the movie ticket and a small popcorn for $5. I want my money back. The movie looks beautiful, but there is not much of a plot and 0 action. I kid you not, every single person coming out of the show said it was the worst movie they've ever seen. I won't go that far, but it was pretty awful.

It doesn't strike me as an action adventure and nothing in the preview even hints at that. At least to me it doesn't. I really want to see it.

I saw it twice and it's one of my favorite movies this year.

My only gripe was the pacing on my first viewing. There's a few spots where it could have been tightened up. There's a lot of walking. But on the second viewing the pacing didn't bother me as much.

If you expected this movie to have a lot of action, I can't imagine why you would have. The movie was exactly what it appeared to be from the trailer. If you don't like artsy A24 movies, you're not going to like it.

I really loved the ending even though it is different from the story. It stuck the landing very well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back