The Goonies (tv spinoff)

I actually love this idea. Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Adaptation is a super inspiring, great story, so I love them reworking it into a show with a similar premise centered around Goonies.

While I'm not keen on endless reboots or sequels, this sounds like enough of a unique perspective on the subject that will be able to pay homage to the Goonies without risking the integrity of the original. If handled right it could actually be really, really good! I watched Raiders the Adaptation and it was a great timecapsule of the era and the culture of entertainment at the time. It was also very personal considering they reunited years later to finish what they started. More and more as I get older there's a bittersweet quality to looking back on your past and if this story is well written, I think it will hit all the right beats.

While I'm not keen on endless reboots or sequels, this sounds like enough of a unique perspective on the subject that will be able to pay homage to the Goonies without risking the integrity of the original. If handled right it could actually be really, really good! I watched Raiders the Adaptation and it was a great timecapsule of the era and the culture of entertainment at the time. It was also very personal considering they reunited years later to finish what they started. More and more as I get older there's a bittersweet quality to looking back on your past and if this story is well written, I think it will hit all the right beats.
I think that’s what makes Goonies such a good film to do this story with—I will always love Raiders, but the very DNA of Goonies is set up so that, while filming the scenes of these kids going on this adventure, they’re doing the same thing. They can hit some of the same things that make Goonies work in this show without just “remaking” Goonies.

I wholeheartedly agree. Plus that's a really keen observation that I wasn't able to articulate but I think you nailed it perfectly.

I've never watched it either. I presume being an ABC show about football that it's family friendly. Perhaps that's what they're referring to with the Friday Night Lights aspect?

My only concern is believing a group of modern day kids would like the Goonies because im not sure young kids like old movies all that much. Unless they're written as a group of misfits who aren't exactly well regarded by their peers. If they wrote them as uber cool popular kids the show won't work.

My only concern is believing a group of modern day kids would like the Goonies because im not sure young kids like old movies all that much. Unless they're written as a group of misfits who aren't exactly well regarded by their peers. If they wrote them as uber cool popular kids the show won't work.
I was actually imagining it would take place not today. Not necessarily the 80s, it’s a little played out, but maybe 90s. The free-range childhood (as well as the ability for a minor to purchase gunpowder/light things on fire with minimal to no supervision) are part of the charm of Raiders: the Adaptation. If it were my project, I would lean into the “unsupervised, getting into trouble” thing.

I honestly didn't see that synopsis at the bottom. None of that matches up at all with the article. Then again if that synopsis IS true, count me out. I don't need some idiotic Kevin Smith type film. Ugh, no thanks!

If the Raiders adaptation part is true, I still think that aspect is intriguing. Then again this could all be a bunch of nonsense. I mean we're talking about Collider here. A review site full of bought and paid for shills.

I honestly didn't see that synopsis at the bottom. None of that matches up at all with the article. Then again if that synopsis IS true, count me out. I don't need some idiotic Kevin Smith type film. Ugh, no thanks!

If the Raiders adaptation part is true, I still think that aspect is intriguing. Then again this could all be a bunch of nonsense. I mean we're talking about Collider here. A review site full of bought and paid for shills.
Very true. Hopefully we'll get some more answers about what the show actually is about.

No Way Do Not Want GIF

Having Disney +/- Willow flashbacks…

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back