The Force Awakens Stromtrooper Blaster Disscusion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Master Valon, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Master Valon

Master Valon Well-Known Member

Here's two screen grabs from the teaser:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So- obviously based on a Sterling on some regard- maybe not actually built on one, but perhaps a casting. New white accent pieces, including on the end cap. Light displays where the Hengstler counter is/should be, and it looked like on the cap of the shortened mag. And, totally new scope! I can't tell if it's pieced together from a real world scope or scratch machined, but it certainly looks like it could be a found part. I really like the new look personally, so I thought I'd make this thread to see if we can start piecing together its construction!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  2. Jodo

Jodo Sr Member

I'm not a fan of the white accents at all. :(

Shingouki28 likes this.
  3. Master Valon

I was a bit surprised when I saw that, as well. It's stretching the look a bit too far in the "shiny futuristic" end, but not too much (I don't think). But yeah going from the OT, where it's all super black, geeblie filled WWII era guns to this is a bit striking.

4. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I LOATHE the chrome. Didn't JJ do that to phasers as well?

mvanwalks421 likes this.
  5. Master Valon

The only chrome I see is on the lens holders on the scope.

6. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

Definitely sterling based design, don't think I like the changes but then I haven't really liked any of the changes so far. The scope looks weird that high too.
    The mag being on the other side makes sense though, now it can be holstered for the right hand. :)

7. Master Valon

Yeah, I can't tell if they've reversed/mirrored some shots or not. In the shot of the X-Wng pilot, the Aurebesh letters on his flak vest were mirrored. Could have been that they were stamped on or something, so that they are actually mirrored on the actual costume, but between that and the mag, I dunno.

spacebob likes this.
  8. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not a fan

9. Master Valon

Alright, I get it, a lot of you don't like the design. :lol But was hoping for any contributions regarding if anything visible is a found part, or if the greeblies are fabricated, what the scope may be, etc...

I just relooked at it, and on the back there seem to be two sets of parallel lines that may or may not be Revell piston halves, where they were on the ROTJ E-11. Am I crazy or could t be that?

10. TK1961

TK1961 Active Member

Look its 30 years later. The Government adopted the M16 in 1967 (I think) but todays M4 looks different. Time passes, weapons change. That being said JJ did manage to frak up the Phaser LOL

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think there will be any found parts on this. Those days are over, 3D printers killed it.

Dart and DizzyStrmtroopr like this.
  11. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

It almost looks ceremonial to me. I imagine the higher mounted scope makes it easier to see through with a helmet on. Maybe they'll finally hit something! Lol!

12. cayman shen

It's still not as bad as every single gun in the PT! :lol

Unfated likes this.
  13. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

Hmmm. I don't know about the white and chrome accents. They should have stuck with one or the other. I think it would have looked better all black. (Or perhasps all white for ceremonial use?) I guess they want to make it look like the E-11 was either re-tooled or upgraded for a new era...much like everything else that was touched.

TazMan2000

14. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can't parse the second picture. Was the blaster holstered or was it clipped on to the right hip? There are some new details on the new troopers hips that look like it could be a clip.

I'm sort of OK with the shape, but I'm not a fan of the white and black colour scheme - that looks too much like the Rebels toy blaster ...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  15. ecl

ecl Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Loving it even more!

16. Master Valon

Yeah, as far as I could tell it was being drawn (quickly) from the trooper's right hip. I had to go frame by frame to get that shot, and it was the least blurry of 3 frames showing that position, so of course I could be seeing it wrong.

17. Jodo

Jodo Sr Member

I think it's totally understandable that tech improves over 30 years, especially if the shots aren't mirrored and the magazine well is now on the right side of the weapon. However I'm saying the aesthetic look of the white accents doesn't look greatv IMO. Overall I think it looks good, and what the rifle would evolve into over time, but the white is a poor choice. That is unless Apple or the AI from Oblivion is producing these...

18. Trooper_trent

Trooper_trent Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not mirrored. Upside down. It says "Pull to Inflate" and it's upside down so as to be readable to the wearer. So evidently it's a life vest.

ScreenShot001.jpg

I kinda like the blaster. It's close enough to the Sterling, but looks the part of a laser blaster. I appreciate the kitbashing and found parts of the OT but with everything HD now, and production value being so much higher than it was back then, I don't think it's such a bad idea to polish those small details. Clearly they designed it to still resemble the E-11. It's also 30 plus years later. Why wouldn't they get upgraded weapons to go with their updated armor?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    Master Valon likes this.
  19. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

Unfortunately i think this redesigning is misguided, we are in a time of tech revolution whereas "they" have had tech forever, or ages at least.
    In my eyes its the only thing JJ is doing wrong so far........ Wrong universe.

Darth Lars and Shingouki28 like this.
  20. Master Valon

Aaaaaah. Okay, cool! Thanks, Trooper_trent! That solves that mystery. :)

21. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Not hardly. I'll agree the TPM blasters sucked. The Jango blasters, Grievious blaster, Clone carbine, Battledroid blasters, etc. were way better. These look, like the trooper, like they would be in a SW themed Apple commercial.

It's just as crappy as that Stormtrooper design deserves. It doesn't surprise me after the crappy props in the new ST. BUT it's not as bad as that ridiculously stupid lightsaber. Remember how cool Maul showing up in the hangar, igniting his second blade? Well we get this guy with it's dumb little mini lightsaber guards.

13doctorwho likes this.
  22. cayman shen

I don't like any of the blasters you mentioned, although I guess they're better than the new stormie blaster, yeah. Different strokes for different folks :)

23. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Well I mean, to me, though they look more like a Stormtrooper blaster than this. Out of all of the Prequel blasters (maybe minus Jango), they would fit right in the OT.

24. cayman shen

Ok, I can agree with that. Actually, I like the CG clone guns better than this...even though they kinda make no sense.

25. Prototypical

Prototypical Active Member

I believe all of the Blasters in the Star Wars Universe lost a degree of believability after the decision was made not to base them on blank firing weapons. I point out Padmé's blaster in Phantom Menace. :facepalm

Now a bit more on topic... I honestly think that the blasters fit with the Imperial look. Think about it. Imperial technology always seems to be shiny and new in comparison to everything else in the universe. The new trooper blaster matches the armor, and thus giving the image of strength and power. Style over Substance.

In the battle of Stalingrad, the German Soldier had the better "looking" uniform, but the Soviet Soldier rarely froze to death. The Germans did.

In that sense, I like these new blasters. And I may end up building one in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    Dart, gunnerk19 and Master Valon like this.
  26. jkno

jkno Master Member

Reminds me too much of the Hasbro b/w E-11 blaster

Hasbro_e-11.jpg

13doctorwho likes this.
  27. Panzer

Panzer Well-Known Member

I'm curious if the scope used is a commercial 1-4x or something like that with some added flourish or just a milled piece. Let's pray it isn't a Nightforce or something like that.

28. Robiwon

Robiwon Master Member Gone but not forgotten.

After staring unflinchingly at a screen grab of the blaster, I'm starting to like it. It is definitely E-11 in design and looks every bit to be Sterling based but with the mag well flipped. Now, it may not be an actual Sterling, but the design is there. Gawd, I can't wait for the toys and models for this movie to come out!!

Attached Files:

Sidewinder likes this.
  29. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

Definitely Sterling based, albeit probably on a scan of one that has been 3D modeled and altered then printed cast etc. I'd bet there are otherwise no found parts at all. I do like it.

30. Robiwon

Robiwon Master Member Gone but not forgotten.

Agreed...

31. sworrubs

sworrubs New Member

In the next shot, we get a good look at the right thigh: no holster but a strange greeblie - doesn't necessarily look like the blaster clips on, but maybe! Also can see a little of the front of the blaster in right front troopers hand...
    screenCrop.jpg

32. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

Maybe 'electro magnetic' holster? The guy on the right's left thigh doesn't have the same detail suggesting to me it is the 'holster'

thebeans and Dart like this.
  33. cheech9898

cheech9898 Sr Member

So is JJ going to give me credit for being the 1st to flip the mag well years ago? Got some 501st flack years ago for doing it and they said the blaster wouldn't be allowed

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417279787.404206.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417279803.062845.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417279809.160511.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

** I say the above about getting cred in jest... i think it's funny I'm vindicated years later :) **

34. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Well-Known Member

It already looks like a Hasbro toy:sick.........before they fire up the toy marketing/sales machine.

35. Hammer3246

Hammer3246 Sr Member

I love the new flip phasers.

36. hamsalad

hamsalad Member

Looks rather TRON-esque to me...same for helmets. Same designer?

37. skyit

skyit Well-Known Member

What about the scope? Maybe is it a real one like some that can be found on the ASG market? Btw i like that weapon! Also i like the lights added.
    RWAOPT-MA-0003-1L.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    Dart and mvanwalks421 like this.
  38. RexKramer

RexKramer Well-Known Member

I really really hope Han's DL-44 hasn't gotten too bad.

I don't mind the 2 tone black and white, but the scope and lights look klind of dumb.

Also, not really sure how I feel about the stock.

If the empire is struggling to keep its feet above the water, they shouldn't really have too much flashy, new stuff lol.

39. Master Valon

I feel like it does have a good chance at being a real scope with some chrome accents added. It looks similar to the one you posted. Perhaps they also chopped down the front a bit like they did on a few OT blasters.

40. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

Unless they aren't! Lol!

Dart likes this.
  41. RexKramer

Yea, true.

Also, if that's a real scope, then it's a really small objective lense.

Maybe even an air rifle scope. Something like a Daisy 303 comes to mind.

But right now I am leaning towards custom CNC'ed, made with vintage scopes in mind.

42. Astrokid248

Astrokid248 Well-Known Member

After watching the trailer and Mockingjay Part 1 nearly back to back, I don't like the white accents because it looks too Peacekeeper-y, which is a problem because the Peacekeepers are shoddy stormtrooper ripoffs.

43. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just noticed some similarities between the toy blaster and the new stormy blaster. I don't know if they are just coincidences.

* The Hasbro toy is the same mould as the old Kenner blaster from 1979, except that the Kenner blaster has a working folding stock - which is straight like on the new blaster.
    * The toy also has three slits behind the mag - like the three red lights on the new blaster.
    * The Hasbro toy also has a thick trigger guard of white plastic - like on the new blaster.

Master Valon and mvanwalks421 like this.
  44. redinight

redinight New Member

Actually I thought it looked like General Grievous' blaster, especially the white Hasbro one.

star-wars-general-grievous-blaster-pistola-3747-MLM67879695_9777-F.jpg

45. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

The white accents remind me of the ARX-160 in Call of Duty: Ghosts

46. Master Valon

Lars, that's interesting. Those are a lot of striking similarities.

47. CT7567

CT7567 Active Member

I was going to say the same thing!

48. RexKramer

guabe likes this.
  49. VegasSkywalker

VegasSkywalker Well-Known Member

image.jpg

They kind of look like the rebels guns we have at the disney store now. They already have a folding stock on them too.

50. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Sr Member

I spent a while Googling "British airguns" and didn't particularly see anything that could have been used as a base gun...