Interest THE FLY TELEPOD (1986): SLA 3D Resin Print

VashDstampede

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all,
I've wanted this piece since I saw the movie for the first time many, many years back and with the help of Reelprops, we were able to get it commissioned to be designed for 3D printing several years ago. However, certain circumstances happened that made me unable to get it completed as a 1:6 scale piece.
However, my friend just recently purchased a large SLA 3D printer and needed some income since he is out of work at the moment, so I am having him print me a 1:6 scale for my personal collection.

I also wanted a smaller scale telepod to display or possibly two as a diorama piece and eventually sculpt a Brundlefly to go with it down the road. (Of course the port window on the second telepod will be switched to the opposite side)

I'm trying to gauge if there is any one else interested in this printed as one full piece @ this smaller scale at around 1:18 scale @ 4.75" or even scaled up to 5.5".
The "glass" for the door will be printed solid (no detailed interior), to cut down the need to print separate pieces.
We may consider also doing ones with separate door sections for an additional cost.
TELEPOD 1.jpg
TELEPOD 2.jpg

Here’s a sample at 1.75” tall that was printed through shapeways several years ago which shows how much SLA printing picks up all the details even with those older printers back then.
3A50DEC4-8A7F-419A-A434-DD0AE96F2879.jpeg

For one full SLA print, unpainted, at either 4.75" or 5.5" at this time may run roughly $80 -$90 plus shipping

If more than 12 are interested, we may be able to lower the price a bit more.
Please post if you would be interested in getting this in your collection.

-Ely

Last edited:
Possibly interested if this could be printed to go with the McFarlane Movie Maniacs Brundlefly. Unsure of size needed- think he's around 6-7"?

Possibly interested if this could be printed to go with the McFarlane Movie Maniacs Brundlefly. Unsure of size needed- think he's around 6-7"?

I totally forgot about the McFarlane Movie Maniacs figure. I’ll keep that in mind as an alternate option.

If there are more interested at this scale, I’ll see what size the Telepod will need to be to go along with the figure.
The figure is 6.5” tall I believe, so possibly 1:11. This may mean that the Telepod will need to be approx. 7.75” tall at this scale.

I love this movie- one of my all-time fav's. Definitely would be interested; would love to see a test print at the proper scale. Also would be amazing to have Brudlefly's computer console in between two Pods. It would be easy to find something to represent the heavy power and data cables running across the floor :)

I love this movie- one of my all-time fav's. Definitely would be interested; would love to see a test print at the proper scale. Also would be amazing to have Brudlefly's computer console in between two Pods. It would be easy to find something to represent the heavy power and data cables running across the floor :)

I’ll get a sample print done once we get a few more interested since he is going to be printing the larger scale for me first. I’m also working on fixing a couple of issues with the model at the moment to make it a bit more screen accurate.

The console is also on my to-do list ;)

I went ahead and purchased a McFarlane BrundleFly a few days ago to get the scale correct on the telepod and I received it this afternoon.
These things are a bit pricey now on ebay, but I found one a little cheaper since it was missing the right "hand". I did a quick sculpt and paint of that missing part just a few minutes ago to complete the figure.
It is in fact around 6.5" tall hunched, so I'll be doing some mock ups in case more people are interested in a telepod at this scale.
1B806D49-1402-48F8-ADB6-2521D2EDE370.JPG

Last edited:
The McFarlane figure seems to be 1:8 scale, so the Telepod height would need to be a little less than 10.75” in height.
I’ll try to get a quote at this height, but I know it will need to be printed in possibly 4 or more pieces.

Here’s approximately what it may look like, scale wise, with the figure using my 1:6 PLA printed Telepod as a background stand in.
D5769FC8-FC9A-45F6-B956-D77AA1B6918B.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back