Interest 'The Fifth Element' ZORG Industries ZF1 - Kit interest (Metal frame, metal & printed components, electronic movements and lighting effects)

Here are a couple of pictures for the assembled ZF1 buyers. Lots of progress this week, with these things going together extremely nicely.

5952E134-4186-4F9C-AADA-6A22BA0C738B.jpeg

We have also started on the shells, the most labour intensive part of the build.

B51963EC-2FAB-468E-A10B-1CBA22A0DF13.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

Jake

Please don't EVER delete any of these videos from screwTube... who knows when I'll ever get to building this. And without these videos, I fear some parts of the build would just be impossible.
Thanks! :)

Please don't EVER delete any of these videos from screwTube... who knows when I'll ever get to building this. And without these videos, I fear some parts of the build would just be impossible.
Thanks! :)

The plan is to have a comprehensive set of video guides to help you through the entire construction process. I have already done guides for the ‘nuts and bolts, this size screw goes here’ side of things, but these videos will cover the little tips and tricks you can use to make assembly more easy and hopefully fun!

This video is my first talking walkthrough. It covers the entire process of tuning the lift and scope servos and demonstrates how to properly set the left and right dart servos up for the next assembly stage.

Apologies for the length, but it’s an important step that can cause damage to the board or servos if setup incorrectly.

Any feedback would be welcome and thanks for taking the time to watch. Cheers!

Do any of your videos by chance cover the technique you used to paint the metal frame parts? Your results look like a really good match to the screen used one.

Yes video 5 (very) briefly covers it. I use a very thinned down black paint, apply a coat, let it dry. Rub it back with scotch-brite or some wet and dry paper, removing most of the paint but leaving a couple of spots (approx 25% paint coverage let’s say) then apply second coat of thinned paint. Those previous spots of paint in the first layer will now turn black, and the new layer will be grey. Rub this back lightly to reveal some fresh aluminium, especially on edges or around holes.

I also use the spray gun on a low pressure with pure thinners in it to ‘spit’ thinners, and dab rags with thinners on them on the frame. You have to just play about with it.

If you don’t like it, just wipe everything off with thinners and start again. Works for me but please experiment! Let us know how you get on.

I will post a dedicated video I promise, just need to get the build step by steps finished first.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have four more available kits/assembled models available if anyone is interested. Please message me and I will get back to you very quickly.

Hi everyone,

Just a quick message to the remaining ZF1 buyers, I will be getting deliveries booked tomorrow. I have been adding a final touch to your models - the neoprene foam cord that goes around the edges of the lower shell and upper shell.

4C121070-0587-42E4-AD32-1D6D56F7F935.jpeg

C28687BA-86FA-476F-943F-58070A0A0EB2.jpeg

This really adds the final touch.

For anyone who has already bought a complete replica, or a ZF1 kit, I will be uploading the tool necessary to make these cords to thingiverse, or I can send you the .stl file to print yourself.

It’s a small box shaped bit of plastic that holds two sharp scalpel blades. You pull some 5mm diameter neoprene cord through it and it removes a quarter of the cord (the cross section looks like a Pac-Man)

85AA0942-5A8F-46AC-87E5-4EF2E28CA729.jpeg

0B7D5803-AECA-4F05-A4D2-4495F49911ED.jpeg

You use this to glue the cord along the edges of the ZF-1 that requires it, and allows a great gluing surface and a very close result to the film used props.

Thanks!

Jake

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back