Interest 'The Fifth Element' ZORG Industries ZF1 - Kit interest (Metal frame, metal & printed components, electronic movements and lighting effects)

6 more nearly complete..

IMG_4297.jpeg

IMG_4300.jpeg

IMG_4299.jpeg

I have enough metal parts for 5 more, so please get in touch as these may be the last.

Some pictures below of something I have been working on. We can now resin print the external shells of our ZF-1s...

IMG_4360.jpeg

IMG_4367.jpeg

IMG_4369.jpeg

IMG_4363.jpeg

The surface quality is really quite incredible. You can sand these smooth with 500 grit sand paper (after a small bit of filling of dents from the support material used during printing) and save hours of the tedious filling and priming typically involved with FDM prints.

Cost will be £275 + shipping

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like a copy! Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

We have one last remaining kit (for the time being - the manufacturer has discontinued one of the types of servos we use so there will need to be a redesign of certain parts if we want to make more) so please take it before it is too late.

For anyone who would still like to grab an assembled model or a kit in the future, we will be producing more if there is the demand, but I'll probably build up batch of 5-7 before we commit to making them.

Thank you!

Jake

The assembled batches probably will, as it saves a fair amount of labour. The kits have this as an extra.

(To the end viewer, you shouldn't notice the difference between the two once they are finished anyway!)

Are the sound fx a new feature? I got my kit a while ago (yet to begin it) but I don’t remember if it included sound fx or not.

Are the sound fx a new feature? I got my kit a while ago (yet to begin it) but I don’t remember if it included sound fx or not.
Yes, Jake said recently that sound fx is a new feature but it requires a new control board so is not backwards compatible to our earlier kits but if there was enough interest maybe Jake could put an upgrade pack with board etc together for older versions if that could be a possibility, Jake??

Yes I think I could do something like that.

The company making the continuous rotation servos for the upper extending red barrel have discontinued that product (need a particular high speed variety that isn’t available anywhere else) so I’ve also swapped that out for a small DC motor (no more trimming that servo, no ‘servo creep’ and less power draw when idle!)

However that meant designing in a small motor driver IC. The atmega328 chip’s IO ports were completely used up so I’ve now also redesigned the front LED boards with a shift register which means 5 wires running to the scope rather than the previous 8. This has freed up 3 more IO ports on the chip and allowed me to include sound effects! I’ve been careful to maintain the original board foot print and mounting holes so this will be compatible with earlier kits I have sent out. Same for the scope LED boards.

New boards below. No more JST plugs as these were causing headaches with people when needing to unplug/plug stuff in so this solution stops that. It also means a lot less crimping for me! (JST plugs replaced with small screw style terminal blocks)

IMG_5344.jpeg

I now also have dedicated ports for a speaker, red RS button and my remote control receivers. The front laser LED and red button LED also have dedicated ports (these were previously pre-soldered into the board)

New front and rear LED PCBs. These are now connected with a cable and will have the 5 cable loom soldered to the front board (this used to be a separate cable, sheafed with steel conduit) Prototype boards pictured below.

IMG_4939.jpeg

IMG_5249.jpeg

You can see in this image where the speaker is mounted. This new base will also need to be included in the upgrade set along with the new sliding DC motor holder for the extending barrel.

I have to say I think I’m at the end of the line with the control board/functionality side of things. Aside from developing a kit to transform airsoft AK74s into BB gun firing ZF1s I can’t really see what else needs improving!

I’m tempted on getting some more metal parts machined to replace the blue components and the large orange/gold flamer components but we shall see. There’s quite a few parts and the sets would probably run into the hundreds of pounds. We will see! The good thing about the parts they replace is they all unbolt easy enough so upgrading shouldn’t be a major hassle.

Thanks again everyone for the continued enthusiasm you’ve shown over the years.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back