Interest 'The Fifth Element' ZORG Industries ZF1 - Kit interest (Metal frame, metal & printed components, electronic movements and lighting effects)

JakeySnakey630

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone,

My company JCM: Custom Creations Ltd has developed what we believe is the most comprehensive and accurate ZF-1 model currently on the market. We are selling these either in kit or assembled model form.

The features of this kit include:
  • Aluminium frame and sub-frames (3mm and 1.2mm components).
  • Metal components: Stainless steel darts, stainless steel piston rods, aluminium main barrel, aluminium piston bodies, aluminium and steel weapon parts for top bay, steel conduit for scope detailing, aluminium gold side frames, plus many more metal detail components..
  • Many SLA resin printed components: Almost all visible detail components including: rocket vents and rocket rings, all weapon nozzles, rocket tip, scope body and lower 'Star Trek' detail components and various other smaller components.
  • 10 bags of FDM printed components. These are mainly hidden and form the movement mechanisms, brackets and other various structural components.
  • Authentically modelled pistol grip and body shell (both from laser scanned originals) (Pistol grip is cast resin and shell is FDM printed)
  • Movie matched lighting animations and movements.
  • 5 servos for full movie accurate motion (2 x left and right dart launchers, 1 x scope, 2 x top bay).
  • Custom PCB 'control board' with colour coded plugs and sockets, easy to use 'servo trimming mode'.
  • Included large capacity NiMH battery and battery charger.
  • Supplied textured matting and neoprene edging cord (plus cutter!)
  • Full assembly guide .PDF and YouTube videos.
  • Supplied bending jigs for aluminium frames
  • All screws and nuts supplied.
  • No electronic experience necessary! (No soldering, no crimping)

The cost will be: £850 plus postage and packing.
I will be shipping internationally from the UK.
(shipping to the States is currently around £160 with insurance, £130 without)

Aluminium frames
IMG_0830.JPEG

Metal Box
IMG_0821.JPEG

DX Box 1
IMG_0822.JPEG

DX Box 2
IMG_0825.JPEG

Electronics Box
IMG_0828.JPEG

FDM printed bags (shell parts not visible)
IMG_0829.JPEG

Lower liner and clear parts (Neoprene edging cord not visible)
IMG_0831.JPEG

Shipping box
IMG_1440.JPEG

I have tried to do this prop justice by making it as authentic and as true to the original as possible. The shell and grip have been modelled from 3D laser scans of actual ZF1 shells and grips. The Star Trek model kits have each been modelled in detail, down to each window on Voyagers hull. All found components have been sourced and measured to create highly accurate representations.

2021-11-12 (5).png

The model has been designed so that assembly is relatively straightforward (given the complexity of the prop) and you do not need any experience with soldering or complex electronics.

It features many metal components, custom designed electronics for lighting and movement effects, LED lighting circuit boards, NiMH battery and charger. It gives the prop maker all the components to build a ZF1, without the fuss of having to worry about the cost of buying a fibreglass/ABS shell, what servos and lights to use and how to program them and where to buy the £120/$150's(!) worth of Star Trek kits needed to detail the prop!

IMG_0805.JPEG

(A completed ZF1 built entirely from components found in the kit)

The kits feature many SLA printed resin components that, with a little sanding and painting, can be made to look exactly like the movie originals. Despite this, all the components can be removed, and swapped out if you decide to machine your own. I will be happy to supply drawings of some components if requested.

The FDM printed shell is an exact replica of the fibreglass shells that are sometimes made available, however these are much lighter and come with all mounting and attachment points built in. They require some filling (use any standard automotive body filler) and sanding but can be made to look very good indeed. Size and fitting should be perfect.

(A completed, kit-built ZF1 in action)

Needed tools (absolutely necessary for building these kits):
  • Allan keys
  • Small hammer
  • Pliers
  • Craft knife
  • Small flathead screwdriver
  • Super glue (or two part epoxy)
  • Single or two part filler (for shell)
  • Paints
Recommended tools:
  • Super glue activator (very useful!)
  • Thread locker
  • oil or lubricant

The main shell will also need to be painted. I have created a series of painting guides and illustrations to help you with this process.

ZF-1 Component Painting Guide
ZF-1 Painting Templates

ZF-1 Masking Guide.jpg

We provide a shell spraying service at £250 if you do not want to spray your ZF-1 shell. This will also increase the cost of shipping a small amount due to the larger sized container it needs to be sent in.

To help you assemble your new ZF1 kit, I have created a series of in depth video guides, detailing each and every step of the build process. These are updated regularly with feedback from other builders and my own experience, and I will be releasing new videos on areas not yet covered.

ZF-1 Video Assembly Guide

I have also produced another set of videos documenting building a single ZF-1, from start to finish. These hopefully demonstrate tips and tricks that can help you build your own.

ZF-1 Step-by-step

If you would like to see a sped up version of the build process, please watch this 4 minute video to help give you an understanding of how the prop is put together.

FOR PREVIOUS KIT BUYERS

Below is a link to my thingiverse page where you can download upgraded parts for the older ZF-1 kits.

JCM ZF-1 part upgrades

Assembled Model

We are also offering built ZF-1 models.

These are built in our workshop, using our facilities to ensure a professional finish and a prop that will look fantastic in your display cabinet.

The following pictures are all built using our kits.

IMG_0805.JPEG

IMG_0803.JPEG

IMG_0808.JPEG

IMG_0807.JPEG

IMG_0804.JPEG

IMG_0811.JPEG

IMG_0810.JPEG

IMG_1266.JPEG

Upgrade Parts...

We have developed an extensive set of upgrade components for your ZF-1 replica or kit.

Please carry on reading to find out more!

JCM ZF1 Upgrade sets.jpg

IMG_2416.JPEG

IMG_2401.JPEG

(Resin parts compared to their turned counterparts!)

We will even throw in a free EDDING 500 yellow permanent marker for you kit builders! This is what the prop builders used to that beautiful metallic yellow finish on their builds!

IMG_2579.jpg

IMG_2580.JPEG

IMG_2584.JPEG

Thanks!

Jake Eaton

Attachments

• IMG_0806.JPEG
    IMG_0806.JPEG
    709.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0805.JPEG
    IMG_0805.JPEG
    742.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1266.JPEG
    IMG_1266.JPEG
    879.5 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1440.JPEG
    IMG_1440.JPEG
    952.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2409.JPEG
    IMG_2409.JPEG
    635 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
I REALLY wish I could put one of these together but my work doesn't allow me the time needed, if you ever decide to sell a finished one I would be VERY interested.

I'm definitely buying one however, it will not be until after the first of the year. I have wanted one of these since I first saw the movie in the theater!

Last edited:
DM'd about getting the Deluxe Kit. :)

Anyone unfamiliar with Jake's work (like I was), check out his other threads on the ZF1. This thread doesn't do it justice... not just the quality, but things that light up and actually MOVE and pop-up/out. The amount of work that's gone into developing this is just INSANE (as I believe Jake is as well).

It IS a lot of money. But when you look at the work that went into making such an exact, precise, and "interactive" prop AND what you get, it's actually quite a good deal. Really looking forward to it. :)

Chris

Just opened mine today! (I ordered the complete assembled “lower priced” ZF1 finished by Jake with the printed parts.)

It’s an absolute work of art! This is a prop that’s SO unique it it’s design and functionality…I honestly never thought it would be replicated!

I plan on replacing a few of the printed parts with the resin and metal parts. BUT you wouldn’t have to! It’s beautiful as it is, but it’s super cool that you can upgrade it as you go!

Jake’s professionalism and communication is second to none! If you’ve been buying props as long as I have you run into some makers who ghost you after the money hits. Jake has gone over and above to offer instructions and advice. My highest review!

He packs these things in a cocoon of multiple boxes and packing peanuts. A trip “across the pond” was not a problem!

Go buy one! Zorg needs you!

I have been working on the assembly instructions for the ZF1 prop and thought I'd show a very rough version of what I am aiming for.

I want to demonstrate the construction process through a series of videos. They will use my 3D model to demonstrate the order of assembly. As well as this, I will also film a live demo of the assembly, from start to finish. I will also film short videos on a number of the slightly technical areas of the build, or areas where I think a short demonstration would help people out (things like servo trimming and aluminium bending).

I am hoping this short video will demonstrate the straight forward, step-by-step nature of construction of one of my ZF1 replicas.

The final video will have better editing, much smoother movements and more detailed annotations, including part specifications (things like screw types, lengths). I will probably also cut in 'live action' video for things like conduit installation and the black lining in the bottom half of the shell.

Thanks for looking!

Jake

THAT is freakin' cool. But geez, it seems like so much more work than just making a bunch of vids of yourself putting it together. But hey, whatever works for you Jake.

Have you done an actual count on how many pieces this kit has? If you include the nuts (like you) and bolts, it's gotta be well over 1000. Like I said... INSANE! ;)

Chris

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back