The Fifth Element ZORG Industries ZF1 build thread

Knocking back up to the first page after seeing the imgur post :D and Holy crap is that really a USS voyager engineering section bit of hull there? :D Did they use that in the original?

Back with my final update..

ZORG uses a small remote device to activate the weapon in the film. What better way than to activate mine!!

duiMxDL.jpg

£75 on EBay for one of these!!

eJ0zUzr.jpg

I 3D printed one instead from thingiverse..

nWkNs4i.jpg

I rewired one of those cheap IR remotes so the LED protrudes out the side..

PcrtlmZ.jpg

...and shoehorned it into the 3D model. I figured this was quicker and easier than designing it all from the ground up (much easier!!)

qiDjXKf.jpg

qaQscs0.jpg

The two small middle buttons line up directly with two underneath on the remote. I programmed my gun to operate in two modes, one button lifts both the scope and top gun, the other lifts just the scope. The trigger performs either of these two actions with a single or double click.

A wonderful package in the post!!

nPjdS6S.jpg

And the finished thing..

JQp68nA.jpg

hvgDGoN.jpg

6XTAPgn.jpg

ZFjRUQp.jpg

LjerVVz.jpg

jYJzKxP.jpg

ZbSF11Y.jpg

TWLhvQm.jpg

..all done!!

Me posing with it...

...and activating it via remote.

So that’s that then! My first prop, I’ve enjoyed building it immensely. I usually derive most of my satisfaction from the build process, rather than the finished result but I’m gonna make an exception here. Such an absurd weapon, they did a fantastic job designing and making this thing and hopefully I did it some justice!!

Thanks for the kind words and feedback, onto the next project!

Last edited:
Knocking back up to the first page after seeing the imgur post :D and Holy crap is that really a USS voyager engineering section bit of hull there? :D Did they use that in the original?

Yes they kit-bashed a lot of Star Trek Voyager models, namely Voyager, Kurzon and Marquis ships. Members of RPF spotted them first I believe.

cant see video tho
Thanks!

Try opening in a new tab. Should link to imgur.

Been following your progress on Instagram too. This has been an amazing process to watch. And topping it off with the remote - I don’t think I’ve seen anyone tackle that :eek:

Hopefully the penultimate update for you guys and gals..

I’ve spent the last week snagging the ZF1, tying up loose ends..

View attachment 1272466

..I thought it would be wise to make a cover that protects the Arduino and associated circuitry and, less of a priority, the user. It also hides the nasty looking perf board I’m using.

I rewired the entire prop too...

View attachment 1272467

...it might not look like much but it’s more managed than before. I’ve also wired in an IR receiver for future ideas..

I also decided to upgrade and rewire the power into the gun...

View attachment 1272468

...I’m now using a 2.6ah Nimh battery instead of a 0.8ah lead acid. I can also run it off the mains now, if for example I wanted to display it for long periods of time.

Cabling is much neater and goes through respective grommets...

View attachment 1272469

Red light wired in...

View attachment 1272470

Lastly I’ve replaced most of the components that form the gearing to the scope lifting arm and motor..

View attachment 1272471
..it doesn’t look like much but they are 4mm wide steel gears. Absolutely no chance of stripping themselves and no play whatsoever. You really don’t wanna get your fingers caught in that!

A quick walk around..

xCuv0Z9.mp4

(please open in new tab if video doesn’t start)

One of the last jobs is to secure the scope lid properly, probably with magnets and pins to allow access if necessary. I also want to program a scope only raise, as well as a scope and top bay raise, using the length the user holds down the trigger as the variable.

Cheers!
What’s the red button for ?

sorry I couldn’t resist

Progress on the 3D printed kit version I’m developing...

wyqas4r.jpg

Original on right, 3D printed copy on left. Pretty damn accurate I’d say!!

mo9nvCd.jpg

Internal structure without shell. Need to start working on scope next.

19OJn1u.jpg

The nearly complete shell. Quite a challenge getting the shapes and measurements accurate and having the software compute it but I got there eventually. Needs panel lines still.

More progress. Effectively just the scope/voyager hull part left to go now. After that I might explore making the cheek bays extend

2tLfeDf.png

G75cOYf.png

Lots of detailing..

IyL13MY.png

The frame with no shell..

GVkPKgX.png

The frame. I’ve made this into segments that lap over one another so it will fit on a 3D printer bed.

Klj3x3H.png

The lifting and extending mechanism. This used to be fabricated from bought in parts but now it’s mostly printed in about 5 parts.

0MLwUdX.png

I’ll be making the .stl files available for purchase when this is finished. It’ll be powered by 3 servos and I’m going to make an electronics package for it too so it’ll light up and move.

Latest progress. This is a milestone as the main modelling has been finished with the completion of the scope body. Now it’s time to print and refine. May even go back and redo the shell.

ertZbrk.jpg

EnlSfF9.jpg

LObfHmE.jpg

BTpzzRB.jpg

XmYLYoX.jpg

I’ve also had to make it easy to assemble and strong.

fI9ZFrE.jpg

Finally my ZF1 factory...

o5XDbmp.jpg

Im on mk3 at the moment. It’s fitted with two servos and I need to design in the scope raising servo. Then I’ll design the lighting electronics.

Thanks for looking!!

This is it... this is the best post I've ever seen on The RPF. An absolute masterpiece.

I have to ask: what do you do for a living? Build particle accelerators?

I've seen The 5th Element dozens of times, but I had been a Trek fan and model builder long before I sat down in the theater to watch it for the first time. Even having built both the Voyager models incorporated into this gun I never had any idea until today that there was this small connection between the two properties. I don't know why, but that fact absolutely tickles me...

Thank you for posting this magnificent and inspiring build!

This is it... this is the best post I've ever seen on The RPF. An absolute masterpiece.

I have to ask: what do you do for a living? Build particle accelerators?

Thank you for posting this magnificent and inspiring build!

Thanks! I'm a normal workshop fabricator/modelmaker type of bod! Appreciate your words though! I got some more projects in the pipeline after I finish my 3D printable ZF1 so keep your eyes peeled.

More progress on the 3D printable ZF1...

Growing me a ZF1 scope. 18 hour print...

0v87ial.jpg

OXRb70h.jpg

Definitely saves you from having to buy 3 individual Star Trek kits!!

kbnVC4u.jpg

The new scope lifting mechanism with powerful servo.

qHFInfI.jpg

Probably wise to grow myself some more shell parts...

DHGsD8j.jpg

Now before I can start with the programming it's back to making another switch..

A5AKfTo.jpg

Same method as before...

ovHvXnZ.jpg

All plugged in and working..

The 3D printable ZF1 is coming along nicely..

0IbVfGo.jpg

Got it all functioning the same as my original version..

8187944f32c747732a3ff896deb551a21be87b21&rid=giphy.gif

Lots of lessons learnt meaning this is lighter, simpler to assemble and the electronics are much more straightforward.

I have designed and had manufactured a custom PCB for the scope LEDs for example...(note: I have since changed the sequencing to get rid of the short 'off' blink before the two last lighting changes.

This replaces all of this..

The whole gun will now run on one Atmega328 chip instead of two separate ones..

The 3D model is almost complete...

eP9SuZe.png

Apart from the two side bay mechanisms I want to run on a servo each..

This is an older clip and the latest version features the darts extending too. It will be great to get this working as then the 3D printed version will be more animated then my original.

I hope to include a BB gun gearbox in the main barrel, probably the same ones used on my sentry turret replica I’m building too. This will be activated by holding the trigger down and I can design a spring loaded magazine into the barrel too as there is lots of space there currently.

I hope to make the .stl files available for purchase soon.

Thanks for looking!!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back