The Expanse Rocinante model build 800mm long 1/57 scale

Muzza

Sr Member
Here is my documented build of Robert James (king Bob) 3D printed Rocinante ship.

The finished ship will measure just over 800mm in length or 20.3 inches depending witch side of the pond you are standing.

This was "legitimate salvage"

Starting by Priming the parts with spray putty to fill in the lines from the printing.
I have started on the bigger parts next will be sanding of the parts.

IMG_6242.jpg
IMG_6235.jpg
IMG_6238.jpg
IMG_6241.jpg

How's that primer putty working for you? How does it compare to other brands?

TazMan2000
I use it only because the shop is close who sell it and some times it is on special.
It fills well and It sprays onto resins, fiber glass, plastics and all metals.

Her is the engine bell for the Roci I have primed it in two different colours grey and yellow.

I paint the colours over lapping so when sanding I can see the depth I am at.
First coat-Grey filler primer
Second coat - Yellow filler Primer
Third coat - Grey Tamiya primer

Then wait a few days to dry then sand it back.

IMG_6278.jpg

Here is the nose of the ship before sanding.

IMG_6279.jpg

And here it is again after sanding.

1st sanding sheet 80 grit
2nd sanding sheet 120 grit
3rd sanding sponge with water Fine grit.
IMG_6280.jpg

As you can see sanding the different colour layers off shows the high and low spots on the surface of the printed part.

Mr Dissolved Putty is *great* for doing the initial fill on printed parts. Spread it around with a spatula like filling holes in walls with DIY putty. Let it dry 12h then do an initial sand back. After that you only need 1-2 coats of filler primer for a flawless finish.

Have you found any resources on how to properly light this model? Other than the engine glow I mean. Nav lights or anything like that?

Have you found any resources on how to properly light this model? Other than the engine glow I mean. Nav lights or anything like that?

Hi Wayne,

Not yet other than looking at the show I have no other lighting information. I was thinking of lighting up the gun bays.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back