The Expanse Belter Vac Suit

PropsToHistory

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have begun a new cosplay. This time a belter from the Amazon series The Expanse. Now I'm not trying to make a specific character , just a generic belter. My own character basically. So far I have most of the parts on hand, still waiting on a few pieces and then I'll start building.
My plan is to make it as screen accurate as possible by using all the same parts as production used in the 1st and 2nd season.
Some things like the suit itself have to be custom, because they were. My suit is made from Dance Neoprene, just like the originals and and is fairly breathable.

20200213_181122.jpg
20200202_110332.jpg
20200123_151217.jpg
20200106_170747.jpg

Nice! Great patterning, too.

The fabric you call "dance neoprene"- is that the 1.5mm neoprene, or something else entirely? I've been trying to find the stuff that can coozies are made of, so it'll be somewhat easier to sew. I looked for "dance neoprene" and everything was links for wrap shoes or regular scuba neoprene.

Any help you can give me on that little bit would be awesome! I'm helping with some folks doing an event called "Neotropolis" (.com for info~) and they want to do a belter vac suit. Biggest block is the suit itself, as they had a proper helmet already.

Might be of a little interest, just for the "more info" file- the belters in the "Cibola Burn" episode were all wearing the "Guardian Cyclone" harness. I finally figured it out when I got a good look at the big guy's bottom when he was holding his dead friend, right after shooting the duster. The one you have there was another in my list of possibilities~

Again- looking good!

So the technical name for the material is Scuba Knit. 1.5mil thick. It's a polyester/spandex blend. The pattern comes from a set of disassembled RedKap coveralls. The tubing is 1/8 in medical tubing sewn into the suit. 1 inch nylon webbing was used to make the MOLLE webbing.

So the technical name for the material is Scuba Knit. 1.5mil thick. It's a polyester/spandex blend. The pattern comes from a set of disassembled RedKap coveralls. The tubing is 1/8 in medical tubing sewn into the suit. 1 inch nylon webbing was used to make the MOLLE webbing.
Sweet! I kinda figured it was the thin stuff- I'm still looking to find the can coozy material to play with it, too. It's a MUCH lighter type of foam, more like the stuff you'd use as a mattress in a RV, but with fabric on both sides. I've done piping before, , and figured that was pretty much what those were. I wonder what they used in the show- as it tapers on the ends closest to the neck... I've only got 6 weeks, and also have to build up a space for our display and stuff for 2 other people, so I won't have this done anytime soon- but I will be doing one, for sure. Check out Neotropolis.com. If you go to the "factions" page (linked at the top of the page~) you'll see my fat butt "sellin'" stuff. For that, I made an exoframe-ish set of arms, and am making the full frame, too. I will be doing the belter stuff as "light kit" for the day, as this event is pretty close to 24 hours long.

Again- I love the work you did here!

Pack is done and weathered. Just need to install electronics. Put the interior lights in the helmet. The box said they were blue...
20200401_050019.jpg
20200331_201845.jpg
20200331_224935.jpg
20200331_225002.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back