The Expanse: an Amos-Style Jumpsuit

Mike J.

Master Member
Maybe a little too Amos-style, so I ended up looking a bit like a bootleg Amos, but it was a good experience overall. If I add a few more patches, I'll be a little more distinctive. Who knows what changes the future may bring?!

A few years ago, I had a Beratnas Gas 'work shirt' made, with the help of a local copy shop (heat transfers). After a few thoughtless washes and runs through the dryer, the transfers peeled off and ripped apart. As always, after every thing we make, we say the next one will be better.

For reasons unknown, I wanted a full jumpsuit this time. I had a hotel room for this con, which meant that I could take along more cumbersome costumes, and not have to drive over (and back) wearing them. Nor would I have to walk a couple hunded yards in the hot morning sun from the parking lot to the convention center. And this outfit would be 100% cotton, too – hopefully cooler than a synthetic blend.

With 'cotton jumpsuit' as my eBay search string, I luckily landed upon a German-made jumpsuit, dark green, used, and with a sort of mechanic's look to it. The sizing was a bit of a gamble, as is buying anything online, but I pulled the trigger and was very happy with what I received. Someone competent with a sewing machine could accurize it a bit, too, I bet. It has epaulets, reflective stripes, and a pretty wide (tall?) collar, but is quite close to my needs. I love the amount of real world wear it has, too.

Below, you can see what I started with:

Attachments

• IMG_5025.jpg
    IMG_5025.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,616
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 4,313
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 2,536
As soon as I got the jumpsuit, I tried it on. Then washed it. Then tried it on again. Satisfied with the fit, I set about making some simple mods. My jumpsuit has a sort of internal drawstring for the waist, which I like, and (besides the wrinkled look at the cinched area) provides a pretty streamlined external appearance.

It had German flags embroidered on the shoulders below the epaulets, which I removed with some liberal use of my stitch puller. I put on the suit and tried to roll the sleeves up, but they got cumbersome and thick quickly. So I took a sharp pair of scissors and cut off the arms just above the elbow / the reflective strip. Amos has his 'rolled up' all the time anyway, AFAIK.

Months ago I'd replicated many of the patches from The Expanse, and I bought a $20 iron from Target, some wooden cutting boards (small and large), and some iron-on opaque transfer material. Before I used up any of that material, I printed out some grayscale patches to check the size when actually placed on the suit. Comparing them to screencaps, I made some size tweaks. A step I'm glad I took.

Attachments

• Size Test 1.jpg
    Size Test 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 890
  • Cut Arms 2.jpg
    Cut Arms 2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 990
Last edited:
Having scaled my iron-on graphics properly (I hoped), I printed them out on my old desktop inkjet printer. I let them dry, and then very carefully cut them out. Removing the backing was tricky, but once that was accomplished, the iron-ons went on very well. I was frankly delighted. All that really remained was to cuff up the sleeves.

Attachments

• BackPatch2.jpg
    BackPatch2.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 2,716
  • Complete2.jpg
    Complete2.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 1,788
And here is the final product – and a much more accurate-looking Amos I ran into at the con! What are the odds?

Attachments

• IMG_5233b.jpg
    IMG_5233b.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 6,371
  • IMG_5157a.jpg
    IMG_5157a.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 1,705
Thanks! Yep, the transfer material I got from a local craft store, though I could just as easily get it online, I'm sure. It came in a package of ten 8.5 x 11 inch sheets, designed for inkjet printer use. Just print exactly like a normal sheet of paper, let dry for 30 minutes, cut out and remove the backing and iron on.

Update time!

Got a big local con coming up, and I've tried to take some steps to polish my 'knock-off Amos' / generic Belter jumpsuit.

1. Removed the drawstring & took in the waist a bit with my sewing machine.
2. Cut off the epaulets & their Velcro.
3. Bought an official P&K tee shirt from Amazon to wear under it.

I'm in the middle of cutting down the collar & shortening it.

Still to do: Permanently & carefully roll up the cuffs with sneaky application of iron-on adhesive. Maybe add a new patch or two, to make me a little less Amos-y.

Completed cutting down the collar & sewing it back upon itself. Trickier than I thought, and it always takes longer than I think it will, but I do have a picture to show. No new patches (yet?) nor permanent cuffs (yet).

-MJ

Attachments

• IMG_5505a.jpg
    IMG_5505a.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 6,508
It varied from patch to patch. I scaled them by eye, and to fit me / my jumpsuit.

Heh. Sorry. To be more clear, I am putting together a similar costume. I can purchase patches in a couple of sizes. It would help me to know how big yours ended up being. Are they 3"? Bigger? Smaller?

For example, my "Engineering" patch is 3.75 inches long, my Beratnas Gas chest patch is 2.75 inches across. They vary.

I made mine myself with inkjet printed iron-on transfer material. I wasn't tied to an exact size, but rather chose what looked right when I printed out some test pieces and lay them on my suit.

For example, my "Engineering" patch is 3.75 inches long, my Beratnas Gas chest patch is 2.75 inches across. They vary.

I made mine myself with inkjet printed iron-on transfer material. I wasn't tied to an exact size, but rather chose what looked right when I printed out some test pieces and lay them on my suit.
Thanks. Those numbers help.

Good.

My Narcissus patch & 'red pentagon' patch are about 2.25 inches wide, my Centauri patch is about 2.125 inches wide, and the 'eagle' patch on the other shoulder is about 2.5 inches wide.

Hey Just came across this thread your jumpsuit looks great. In the process of making an Amos jumpsuit as well, I found an old pair of 70’s coveralls, 100% cotton... my personal preference, did a bit of modifications to them and added the patches. Did some preliminary weathering. Waiting on a zipper to arrive and the belt.

Attachments

• A44FCAFF-0D80-445B-9C30-2FBA8E287180.jpeg
    A44FCAFF-0D80-445B-9C30-2FBA8E287180.jpeg
    589.6 KB · Views: 812
  • 01FAAA52-1E0C-4995-8883-326983B43DCE.jpeg
    01FAAA52-1E0C-4995-8883-326983B43DCE.jpeg
    584.1 KB · Views: 763
  • E5D79C17-EBE8-443C-BB1C-641E386DBF01.jpeg
    E5D79C17-EBE8-443C-BB1C-641E386DBF01.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,133
Hey I'm the other Amos in that pic from Megacon! Don't know how I've just now seen this. Super cool running into you that day, especially because it was your patch art that I bought and used for my suit :cool:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back