The Duct Tape Dummy project

Zendragon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For lots of us who do costumes, occasionally we need a body double of ourselves, for making armor, or costume parts or sculpting.

Abby DarkStar needed one for her Mistress Chief armor that is being built.

The person working on this project needed a bicep, a thigh and a torso.

The easiest way to do this would be by using duct tape.

We have done this before, but the results were somewhat crappy. I decided to do a lot more research on how to do this better and instead of using tight fitting clothing under the tape, we went with plastic wrap.

IMG_1685.jpg

She was totally watching Dr. Who during this process :love

So in order to do this right, the first piece of tape went under the bust line and then an X was made across the chest. Basically the chest support was created so you get a more accurate frame

IMG_1687.jpg

As I continued to build the chest, Abby marked where the armor chest line should sit with a pen

IMG_1690.jpg

Finally, the chest is was complete, onto the other parts

IMG_1694.jpg

Last edited:
this could be a handy trick for my wifes halo build which im workin on while shes at work and i still need her body (ahem) anyways, how do u get that cleanly off to make casts or armoured sections?

if i manage the same we will post pics.

to cut it, do ya need to make it thicker so its not too 'flimsy'? also to cut it how do u manage it safly? duct tape is evil to skin lol.

Next up, finished the arm. The part I like about using the plastic wrap is that you can add more as you go to what you need. For me, it felt more precise.

IMG_1695.jpg

With some additional time, I was able to finish her legs and back...
We were pleased with the results and detail

IMG_16982.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

to cut it, do ya need to make it thicker so its not too 'flimsy'? also to cut it how do u manage it safly? duct tape is evil to skin lol.

Well, remember, the plastic wrap will be covering the skin. So none of the sticky side is on her skin.

I built up the tape in the areas that I felt were weak. About two layers...

Then when it came time to cut Abby out, I grabbed my trusty medical bandage scissors and cut along the outside of the leg and sides... basically enough so she could wiggle out of it.

IMG_1703.jpg

Then when it came time to cut Abby out, I grabbed my trusty medical bandage scissors and cut along the outside of the leg and sides... basically enough so she could wiggle out of it.

IMG_1703.jpg

I'm glad you mentioned that. Medical scissors are well worth the investment for this. Even the most careful person can accidentally cut the model with ordinary scissors.

Thanks for the tutorial Zen, it's just what I was looking for. The results are nice and clean.

What method do you use for standing the dummy up?

Looks good are you going to shore it cross ways or put some sort of cross bar side to side? On mine I had trouble when I stuffed it, it turned round and even though it was my size it was the wrong shape front to back and side to side.

Thanks for the tutorial Zen, it's just what I was looking for. The results are nice and clean.

What method do you use for standing the dummy up?

You are welcome. If I were to keep this dummy and not send it out, I would probably cap off the legs and run some pipes or pvc pipe into it bolted to a larger MDF board. But seeing how I am not, I am leaving it to the guy on the other end to fill it to his need

Looks good are you going to shore it cross ways or put some sort of cross bar side to side? On mine I had trouble when I stuffed it, it turned round and even though it was my size it was the wrong shape front to back and side to side.

I figured that I would insert a pvc pipe frame before filling the dummy with expandable foam. I hear that news paper works really well too, but I liked the foam idea

My better half helped make a duct tape dummy of myself for projects also, and it really is a lot easier to check fitment and shaping on parts....

although im not sure you would want to use expandafoam for a stuffer.... because if you fill the "dummy" with regular stuffing, you can adjust the shape of the body parts so they aren't lumpy ot misproportioned, I know it doesn't seam possibly for it to come out wrong... but trust me. it will......

I use newspaper with mine and it works fine. Unless you need to do some really hard shaping against it you shouldn't have problems, and in that case you should probably have the actual person there.

Using a PVC skeleton is good if you're using it as storage for a costume. If you're just using it for sizing and fitting, not having the skeleton means you can fold it up for easier storage.

You are welcome. If I were to keep this dummy and not send it out, I would probably cap off the legs and run some pipes or pvc pipe into it bolted to a larger MDF board.

That's me making a trip to the DIY store at the weekend then. Cheers for the info.

Thanks.... happy to say the dummy has been shipped, so... expect Abby Dark-Star to start a thread on her armor :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back