The downfall of physical media ??? ( where do you side ) glad to see it go or not

DNA degrades too.
Yep, nothing is "Forever";) If you keep the temp at a low level you should keep your data for thousands of years...not so much with other media.
Also the "space" taken by your data would be unbeatable! You're capable of storing, in theory, every bit of data recorded by us, human, in a container the size of 2 pick-up trucks:)

********. This is the case with video games for a while now. Guess its reached movies too.

Video games on PC, you are only buying a "license" to play the game and not the actual game itself which means if the game is delisted or the storefront dies, so does your game library. Unfortunately, everything is digital in regard to PC gaming so you get screwed there.

Same for digital versions on console. If a game or demo is delisted (say PT aka the demo for Silent Hills), you can never redownload and play the game ever again unless you had it downloaded and stored on your console or some hardware.

With the age of streaming and the digitalization of products, we need to be smarter consumers or get screwed over.

********. This is the case with video games for a while now. Guess its reached movies too.

Video games on PC, you are only buying a "license" to play the game and not the actual game itself which means if the game is delisted or the storefront dies, so does your game library. Unfortunately, everything is digital in regard to PC gaming so you get screwed there.

Same for digital versions on console. If a game or demo is delisted (say PT aka the demo for Silent Hills), you can never redownload and play the game ever again unless you had it downloaded and stored on your console or some hardware.

With the age of streaming and the digitalization of products, we need to be smarter consumers or get screwed over.
Same thing even down to cash... We never really handle that either..
I wonder what happens if your DVD stops working do you still retain the copyright as its effectively destroyed unless its backed up and then what?

True, but the difference is that if you download a PC game and they pull it from the store, the copy of the game still runs (unless it’s an MMO). That’s the huge difference between PC games and movies/TV shows via streaming.

Indeed. I am a fan of Command & Conquer game series, especially Generals and Zero Hour (Red Alert & Yuri's Revenge too). I had 2 sets of these games, as the first started to scratch. But with Windows 10 I cannot play any of them anymore from the DVD sets I have, I had to buy the license to play the digital games. And there is a catch here too: no more custom maps or mods on the digital version, you simply cannot add any of the cool mods or extra maps you had and could use on the previous DVD versions of the games. :(

There was just a news yesterday that HBO Max is removing many European movies and series from their platform, so if you were a fan of some of those films or TV series, now you cannot watch them anymore.
Its one thing if it was just on a streaming service. Who cares? It's another if someone paid specifically for the series or movies and now doesn't have access to something that they paid for.

Go buy DVDs and Blurays. Nobody can ever take those away.

I've only purchased two shows digitally. Season 6 of TWD on YouTube for my daughter and season 5 of Rick and Morty on Amazon because I was to impatient to wait for it on HBO. :lol:
I lived most of my life without a TV signal, cable or satellite. I didn't even have internet capable of streaming until 2020! :oops: So my collection of VHS and DVDs was pretty big since it was the only way to watch. I got rid of almost all my tapes and half of my discs in 2016 when we moved, now I rely on streaming to watch almost everything, I also have a lot of stuff stored on HDs at home so I don't need internet to watch something. There's maybe 400 to 500 discs left but don't have my player hooked up to the projector since almost all of it is available to watch on one of my services or it's backed up on one of my HDs. Renting digitally is much more convenient than when I had to drive 10 miles each way to the video store, imagine that at today's fuel cost!
A few times we wanted to watch something specific and couldn't find it to rent digitally so my daughter "may" have raised the Jolly Roger. ;)
When it comes to anything you want to keep around for your lifetime and beyond you really need a combination. All my home movies, fan films and the fan restored OT are backed up on 2 HDs, multiple physical discs, 2 laptops and on the cloud. It would take a global disaster to destroy them! :cool:(y)

Indeed. I am a fan of Command & Conquer game series, especially Generals and Zero Hour (Red Alert & Yuri's Revenge too). I had 2 sets of these games, as the first started to scratch. But with Windows 10 I cannot play any of them anymore from the DVD sets I have, I had to buy the license to play the digital games. And there is a catch here too: no more custom maps or mods on the digital version, you simply cannot add any of the cool mods or extra maps you had and could use on the previous DVD versions of the games. :(
That really sucks. I heard good things about the C&C games and mods really breath new life into a game. It is a shame that PC games are pretty much all digital now and you only get a license to the game as opposed to actually owning it.

I've only purchased two shows digitally. Season 6 of TWD on YouTube for my daughter and season 5 of Rick and Morty on Amazon because I was to impatient to wait for it on HBO. :lol:
I lived most of my life without a TV signal, cable or satellite. I didn't even have internet capable of streaming until 2020! :oops: So my collection of VHS and DVDs was pretty big since it was the only way to watch. I got rid of almost all my tapes and half of my discs in 2016 when we moved, now I rely on streaming to watch almost everything, I also have a lot of stuff stored on HDs at home so I don't need internet to watch something. There's maybe 400 to 500 discs left but don't have my player hooked up to the projector since almost all of it is available to watch on one of my services or it's backed up on one of my HDs. Renting digitally is much more convenient than when I had to drive 10 miles each way to the video store, imagine that at today's fuel cost!
A few times we wanted to watch something specific and couldn't find it to rent digitally so my daughter "may" have raised the Jolly Roger. ;)
When it comes to anything you want to keep around for your lifetime and beyond you really need a combination. All my home movies, fan films and the fan restored OT are backed up on 2 HDs, multiple physical discs, 2 laptops and on the cloud. It would take a global disaster to destroy them! :cool:(y)
I agree that its impractical to just go fully physical media and a combination is more realistic. Physical media does take up space and digital does make access far easier. Streaming is a far cheaper alternative from renting from blockbuster as well as far more convenient. There are also alot of shows that are decent to watch but not something you necessarily love so much that you want to watch again or share with others.

Im fine with reality shows like Bling Empire, silly competition shows like floor is lava, or decent but mid-tier shows be streaming only. These shows are fun to watch but they are mostly one and done and Im not going to shed any tears if they get taken off streaming and I never get to see them again. If a show is really good and one I will want to rewatch again at a later date (likely the Boys for me), Im going to keep my eye out for a DVD box set.

I dont think streaming and digital access is bad and there are definitely benefits for going digital. But if you really want to keep something, you got to buy physical (and keep your property safe from damage).

Its one thing if it was just on a streaming service. Who cares? It's another if someone paid specifically for the series or movies and now doesn't have access to something that they paid for.

Go buy DVDs and Blurays. Nobody can ever take those away.
I have HBO for more than 20 years, but I don't have HBO Max, neither Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime. I have this instead

I’ve been thinking about this thread a lot in light of what’s currently happening with HBO Max…

Crazy to think for all the villainization of media piracy by studios (some of which is warranted, sure), those people (whoever they may be) might end up being the ones to save films from disappearing into the ether.

I’ve been thinking about this thread a lot in light of what’s currently happening with HBO Max…

Crazy to think for all the villainization of media piracy by studios (some of which is warranted, sure), those people (whoever they may be) might end up being the ones to save films from disappearing into the ether.

Essentially, they could be considered the Henri Langlois of the modern age.

For those who may not know who he is, he was a French film archivist and a cinephile. He basically pioneered film preservation and a co-founder of the Cinémathèque Française, which served as the place that was the film education of the film directors who started off the French New Wave, including Françouis Truffaut and Jean-Luc Godard. Langlois dedicated his life to preserving as much of the films of the past so that they wouldn’t be lost to time. There’s a great documentary about him I recommend checking out called Henri Langlois: The Phantom of the Cinémathèque.

The value of physical media never left. Its more corporations just telling us the benefits of streaming and downplaying their drawbacks (you dont see Netflix openly advertising the fact that they remove shows and movies from circulation).

It is wrong to simply villainize streaming for the way it works. They need to turn a profit and to become a repository for all the tv shows ever created ad Infinium would be an impossible task, especially if most people dont watch the old shows anymore. However, if you do like a show and want to ensure you will always have the ability to watch it again, you have to buy.

Yeah, you just can't depend on streaming. They remove stuff all the time and then you're just outa luck. Case in point; just this morning I went to my watchlist on Amazon Prime. At least half of the stuff that was included with Prime when I put it on the list is all now "rent or buy."

On the topic of physical media, one of the things I realized, a few days ago, is that Paramount has gone the way of Lucasfilm and the Original Star Wars Trilogy in that the original versions of Star Trek: The Original Series are NOT available on any streaming platform.

If you don’t own the original series on Blu Ray, you will not be able to see the original visual effects…

73CC0D63-7432-4C7A-91BA-2C6A81163564.jpeg

…and are stuck with the Special Edition CGI…

E112507A-52C6-4FE4-91EF-642FAF5B6995.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back