The downfall of physical media ??? ( where do you side ) glad to see it go or not

Personally, I'm kinda miffed at the fact that I'll never have all four seasons of Halt and Catch Fire on physical release (as the first two seasons were released, and the last two weren't). Same is true with Stranger Things (have the first two seasons on DVD/Blu-Ray retro VHS box release, with Season 3 not released and Season 4 not looking to be either).
I wish I could get all three seasons of Perception. First one came out, the other two never did.

I really hope they do a boxed set of Stranger Things once the series concludes. It's one of the few that's a necessity for my collection and easily one of my favorite shows to have come out in the last decade.

The Star Wars trilogy 4K77 Blurays that I purchased on ebay had both versions, the DNR version and the standard version. Hopefully once 4K80 arrives both versions will pop up there too. I don't know enough about how that stuff works to be able to burn the digital to a disc myself and I'd much rather buy it than have to figure it out. I don't want to be stuck with the awful digital versions on Disney plus. Even setting aside the ridiculous edits George introduced, the transfers are just terrible and pale by comparison to the fan efforts. I watched a few scenes to clarify some costume details and it was no help whatsoever.

Meanwhile, last night, we ordered box sets of the original Wild Wild West, the last couple of seasons of Heroes (just to have them), Charlie's Angels (my wife wanted that) and the entire BBC series of Poirot. If they can't make decent shows today, we'll just get the old ones.

I am 83.....I listened to WW 2 newscasts on a little blue radio on top of our fridge. in the 1944-5 era. I was surprised (startled??) when the war ended. What????......no more war???

From that experience, I can still work a radio!!!!

PJH

I really hope they do a boxed set of Stranger Things once the series concludes. It's one of the few that's a necessity for my collection and easily one of my favorite shows to have come out in the last decade.

The Star Wars trilogy 4K77 Blurays that I purchased on ebay had both versions, the DNR version and the standard version. Hopefully once 4K80 arrives both versions will pop up there too. I don't know enough about how that stuff works to be able to burn the digital to a disc myself and I'd much rather buy it than have to figure it out. I don't want to be stuck with the awful digital versions on Disney plus. Even setting aside the ridiculous edits George introduced, the transfers are just terrible and pale by comparison to the fan efforts. I watched a few scenes to clarify some costume details and it was no help whatsoever.
In a Video Cassette box of course..

It's honestly not difficult to convert and author to DVD or Blu-ray formats and burn them. I have tens of thousands of discs that prove that.
All my Physical media is in the roof.. Say a few PS games that still need ripping to the console.
CDs, Movies and Photos all on a compact 1 TB Hdd..
I used to love seeing all my media out in the open but its just so much easier to press a few button or even voice selection.
My Vinyl... Well that's another matter.

All my Physical media is in the roof.. Say a few PS games that still need ripping to the console.
CDs, Movies and Photos all on a compact 1 TB Hdd..
I used to love seeing all my media out in the open but its just so much easier to press a few button or even voice selection.
My Vinyl... Well that's another matter.
Seriously, if I had all of my media digitally, it would need to be a massive RAID array. Even if I was using the biggest SSDs at about 100TB, I'd still need a bunch of them.

Seriously, if I had all of my media digitally, it would need to be a massive RAID array. Even if I was using the biggest SSDs at about 100TB, I'd still need a bunch of them.
But they'd All fit in a drawer ;)

I used to have literally Wall to Wall Videos and books, then It became DVDs and BluRays..
I did Slim down my collection but kept rare Videos.. I love my first generation Motel Hell VHS and it missed the censorship cull here in UK so intact.
I think my house style changed tvh so I tried to minimise.. Then I started growing house plants and that took over :D

But they'd All fit in a drawer ;)

I used to have literally Wall to Wall Videos and books, then It became DVDs and BluRays..
I did Slim down my collection but kept rare Videos.. I love my first generation Motel Hell VHS and it missed the censorship cull here in UK so intact.
I think my house style changed tvh so I tried to minimise.. Then I started growing house plants and that took over :D
So? And when that drive crashes, what do you do then? Do you have backups? I can just walk over to the shelf and get the DVD.

So? And when that drive crashes, what do you do then? Do you have backups? I can just walk over to the shelf and get the DVD.
I guess I could get the ladder out and go up into a dusty hot attic, sift through countless plastic boxes till I find what I'm looking for..
But I've Never had a HDD fail.. Touch wood, but then it sits on a shelf all day long so can't get damaged.
Even if it did I have extraction devices that can read and copy a faulty drive onto a new one..
SSD drives although better can and do break so I've avoided them so far..
If a DVD stops working or sucomes to that dreaded fungi or disc scratches as Hicks would say its
Game over Man!

I guess I could get the ladder out and go up into a dusty hot attic, sift through countless plastic boxes till I find what I'm looking for..
But I've Never had a HDD fail.. Touch wood, but then it sits on a shelf all day long so can't get damaged.
Even if it did I have extraction devices that can read and copy a faulty drive onto a new one..
SSD drives although better can and do break so I've avoided them so far..
If a DVD stops working or sucomes to that dreaded fungi or disc scratches as Hicks would say its
Game over Man!
I'm just saying that you need the physical media, just in case. It's the people who are pure digital that have problems because hardware always fails eventually.

I'm just saying that you need the physical media, just in case. It's the people who are pure digital that have problems because hardware always fails eventually.
No I'm right there with you..
I have physical then convenience then Cloud but only for documents in case I need them when travelling..
I used to love seeing All mine on shelving but oh my the cleaning sucked!..

Streaming sucks; always has, always will. It's a flawed media delivery system unless each and every part of it is in perfect working order and there's only one person using it an any given time. As long as CD/DVD/Blu-ray players exist, I'll prefer physical media by far. I'll be 61 years old soon anyway, so when physical media ceases to exist I'll just die and get it over with. ;)

All media have shelve-life (DVD; stored properly in the right temp/humidity and upright should last 50 to a 100 years)...but it will decay!
Next is DNA digital storage...;) but not in the near future...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back