The downfall of physical media ??? ( where do you side ) glad to see it go or not

May the force be with you ;)
View attachment 1584820
Joel Mchale GIF

With rising food and fuel costs, two kids. My friends and I have had really cut back our streaming services. So it's physical media from here on out for me.

Which makes me hope (a fools hope I'm sure) that Disney will eventually release their Disney+ Star Wars shows on DVD. Particularly for those of us that want to be completionists, and want season 7 of The Clone Wars on the shelf with the first 6 seasons.

Yup. Physical media for the win. I just hate that streaming services has any say on when physical media is released. There should be a rule that physical media is released six months after it released in the cinema/streaming service. I've been waiting forever for the Dorohedoro anime to release in the west and the Dark Crystal tv-show.

There should be a rule that physical media is released six months after it released in the cinema/streaming service.
There was... For a long time
In the 70s pre VHS it could be a good five years or more before it hit any kind of TV stations, Cable didn't arrive until late 80s! in the UK.
We had Satellite but the quality was dire with any kind of wind rain or snow destroyed the signal.

Media wise apart from a slew of back catalogue it was similar for VHS to buy unless you could afford the £100 price tag to purchase.

Since DVD and Streaming its become a lot closer...
I have VHS that have Never been re released to a wide audience.. That's where online streaming at least allows you to view hidden jems..

...Which makes me hope (a fools hope I'm sure) that Disney will eventually release their Disney+ Star Wars shows on DVD...
I have been hoping for Mando on BluRay since it came out, but alas, I don't think that day will ever come. It's leverage for D+ to keep it on there so that it keeps people subscribing. I would absolutely unsubscribe if Mando S1-whatever came out on BluRay.

SB

I have been hoping for Mando on BluRay since it came out, but alas, I don't think that day will ever come. It's leverage for D+ to keep it on there so that it keeps people subscribing. I would absolutely unsubscribe if Mando S1-whatever came out on BluRay.

SB
The closest you’re gonna get to Mando on Blu-Ray is an unauthorized DVD. I’m not gonna lie, that’s what I’ve had to do.

I guess, they will eventually release at least some of the series, but only when the streaming-count ist getting low. The will always get the people, who want to have something to touch in a nice package (Like me), ...they will get the money for physical media, even releases years later... And i know we will see the Label on the box: "For the first time on DVD/BluRay!" as the main promotion :)

I guess, they will eventually release at least some of the series, but only when the streaming-count ist getting low. The will always get the people, who want to have something to touch in a nice package (Like me), ...they will get the money for physical media, even releases years later... And i know we will see the Label on the box: "For the first time on DVD/BluRay!" as the main promotion :)
Which is exactly why I do what I do. I get the episodes, I burn them to DVD and store them away. I can watch them whenever I want, I have a physical copy and if they ever release a DVD or Bluray version and the show was worth it, I'll replace my burned copies. It's not my fault they won't provide the product. It's theirs.

Yeah I love physical media over digital because you can actually own something and rewatch/reuse it whenever. It also has some value so as long as you have a means of playing that media, you can always see it.

Incredibly embarrassing confession but I started watching Gossip Girl with the missus since I never saw the show. Definitely trashy teen drama but also enjoyable and I wanted to show her the OC which is a precursor to GG (same executive producer and essentially the same setting). Unfortunately, I cant seem to find the OC anywhere but luckily had it on DVD so we can enjoy two terrible shows together.

I do see the benefits of streaming and unless I really love something, Im fine with the one/a couple and done approach and streaming does give you access to a much larger collection that you would be hard pressed to own (in terms of both financing and space). Physical media does provide added stuff (commentary, deleted scenes, alternative endings, etc.) that are just lost with streaming though.

It does suck that there is this big movement toward making a ton of stuff digital only.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back