The DEFINITIVE X-wing thread?

jedimaster

Sr Member
Ok i Know these things have been done to death , but with the recent new kits ie Poseiden Young and the new RodMart kit coupled with pm's ive been getting and new threads looking for info , i thought it may be time to have a new thread collating all the different birds together including paints , colors , differences etc. There are more than enough experts on here and more than enough ref pix of most of the models.

Is there room for a definitive thread or is this just another stupid idea? I need more coffee!!!!!:sleep

Last edited:
Isnt a thread much like this already live on this board Simon?
Not much new in terms of ref has turned up since, just two more resin kit offerings and the fact they were not white lol.

Be better to see you guys with Pyros building them and showing those lovely birds off, than the same old ground discussion, just my two penneth, and i need less coffee heh.

Lee

Trust you to come up with common sense. Yeah I know we've had Carstens ANH pyro thread which covered a lot but with the Cantwell and Maquarrie builds
I thought it may be good to start at the beginning and go throughout the history right up to ROTJ. You're probably right. Please ignore this thread...... Oh wait , we know what happens when you title you're thread with that.

On the other note. The pyro build is underway. I've been testing base colours for the red 4 pyro and settled for insignia white over dark Grey primer. On the red 3 hero I' m still messin with the right grey but have all the other pastel colours sorted.

Last edited:
Ah dont listen to me bro, as i said im caffeine infused lol.
Get that bird in your thread though, i wanted to see Insignia used big time on an X wing.
Love to see the Red 3 pyro too, very nice paint on that one, so much prettier than the Hero.

Lee

I will get it up soon. It's been pissing down here and to best illustrate the colour I need to show it in Daylight as well as artificial.

Just sprayed my CC X-wing with a 50/50 mix of Dunkelgrau 50 and Schnellbootweiss, both German naval colors. I'm really happy with the shade.

Note that this is pre-weathering, so it will be much brighter. Panel lines will be done with both washes and pigments, and then individual panels will be changed with an overall pigment application...

X-wing043.jpg

Not anymore - spent most of the night (and well into the early AM) doing the weathering...I applied a black acrylic sludge wash to the model, wiped it down and let it dry, then did the panel lines with pigments. After that, some subtle paint chipping...

X-wing048.jpg

Now that I look at it in photos, I wonder if I didn't do enough...course, the white background does a lot to wash out the weathering. To the naked eye, I think it looks good...Don't know if I want to over-weather it just to get good photos... Maybe I'll try a different background.

J

It looks good, Jeff....but I'd def. weather it more if you're going for the movie look....they look pretty whooped in the films and the actual models.

The background would wash it out, but I think it needs more in addition to the washes.....

Now, if I can only manage to get a legit one....

Chris

Id love to try out this Dullcote to pigment mix ive been using on an X wing.
Some of you guys need to give it a whirl maybe, i reckon it could work really well on the stark colors used on these birds.

Lee

I use it all the time Lee... works great...

Sorry for the thread hijack, btw...

J

No hijack.. Please post away. If this just ends up being a showcase for builds then that's great. It gives people the chance to see and ask questions and maybe learn something then that's a win.

Its basically a case of mixing a powdered pigment or pastel to Dullcote Simon.
Thin it down for shooting with Cellulose thinners, but always sieve with gauze before you do so, it still dyes the Dullcote.
Its pretty much an opaque coating of whatever color you like and seals automatically with the Dullcote.
Ive used rust and black hues on the PD and it worked very well.

Lee

I actually retail my own line of pigments, called Warpigs. If you're in the UK, Jay Laverty at Mastercasters carries them.

Mix pigments with a carrier (thinner) and spray them to create dust, soot, exhaust, etc. Mix it to the consistency of a wash and spray away. Just be sure to use small amounts in the airbrush as the pigments will settle if you allow them to sit for anything more than a minute or two. Best of all, if you don't like the results, you can wipe them off.

J

I actually retail my own line of pigments, called Warpigs. If you're in the UK, Jay Laverty at Mastercasters carries them.

Mix pigments with a carrier (thinner) and spray them to create dust, soot, exhaust, etc. Mix it to the consistency of a wash and spray away. Just be sure to use small amounts in the airbrush as the pigments will settle if you allow them to sit for anything more than a minute or two. Best of all, if you don't like the results, you can wipe them off.

J

Jeff thats why i sieve out the pigment once mixed, you get zero sediment etc.
Also, i mix it direct into the Dullcote so it seals right up. Right now im mixing MIG smoke black to tone the droid, that works very well.

Lee

I used Tamiya Insignia White on my Red 4 and the color was way off, so I changed the base color.

r4-69.jpg

You really need an off-white, Tamiya's insiginia white is not one for me, just a light gray.

No that's AS-20 :(

It's just a tad lighter than the primer (and it's shiny)

Here's a comparison with primer and AS-20.

Primer :

r4-68.jpg

AS-20 :

r4-74.jpg

I ended up doing my own mix using flat white and neutral gray (or black ? I think I used neutral gray).

A few drops (5-6) of neutral gray for a full jar of flat white. You need a really white base coat because of all the airbrushed weathering and heavy washes you'll put over it which will darken it a lot.

Take a look at Blue Leader (Jason's is wonderful), it has almost no washes on it and the airbrushed weathering is very light, the final model is almost white. Once converting into Red 2, it received the same treatment than the other and it ended up being more gray (more washes and airbrushed weathering).

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back