The Definitive MCU Iron Spider Thread

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by The14thDr, Jul 28, 2017.

1. The14thDr

The14thDr Well-Known Member

I'll kick this one off with the best two images I've been able to find so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

George, JPH and AlexStark like this.
  2. maffhewdc

maffhewdc Sr Member

I think movie-wise, it's not full spandex. It's probably part spandex, part metal. Check out the shoulders. They look like they've got slits to allow for mobility.

harmfulAdam and The14thDr like this.
  3. doctorDWwho

doctorDWwho Sr Member

So apparently it's black, not dark blue.

The14thDr likes this.
  4. The14thDr

I agree, those shoulders are definitely segmented to allow for movement. I suppose it kind of makes sense that the newest suit would be more armoured for a full-on member of the Avengers.

To me, the not-red parts look like a really dark, greyish-blue colour. It's also interesting to note that the spider emblem is the same colour as the not-red parts of the suit.

I really like this design so far and I hope it gets some serious usage in the next Avengers film (my theory is that Peter will use the normal Stark suit for most of the movie, then switch to the Iron Spider for the big battle at the end, like Tony with his Mk.7 in Avengers Assemble and the Mk.45 in Age of Ultron)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  5. maffhewdc

maffhewdc Sr Member

So can we all agree that the texture on the entire suit (red and blue/dark blue/black parts) are just a dotted pattern?

The14thDr likes this.
  6. Junior Kerger

Junior Kerger New Member

You have file this pattern ?

7. The14thDr

Not as far as I know. There’s still very little reference material for this suit, so it may be a while before anyone can put together an accurate pattern.

8. The14thDr

So I think everyone knows that the first trailer dropped today, showing off some great views of the Iron Spider Suit.

All I have so is the one image, but I’ll hopefully get round to screencapping the whole trailer later on.
    [​IMG]

George likes this.
  9. KilTheMaskedGuy

KilTheMaskedGuy Well-Known Member

makes me think of all new spidey

10. Mystery

Mystery Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

George and The14thDr like this.
  11. doctorDWwho

doctorDWwho Sr Member

I have some ideas on this.... does anyone know if you can buy un sewn suits anywhere? Like just the pattern printed on to a sheet of lycra

12. MegaLEGOFilms

MegaLEGOFilms Well-Known Member

Fabric On Demand. I heard that zentai zentai could as well but you'd be much better off going with FOD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. maffhewdc

maffhewdc Sr Member

I think that RPC does prints only but I'm not sure if Zentaizone or zentai-zentai does it too

14. doctorDWwho

doctorDWwho Sr Member

Fantastic, thanks guys!! I'm curious what you might think of my idea, although I'm not sure I'll be able to communicate it well on here.

You buy a printed, unsewn suit (once accurate patterns are available), and red metallic spandex. You use the existing print as a guide and also a base for the red parts. You use some sort of interfacing, I'm not sure what as it would have to be the proper thickness without being too stiff, and quilt the metallic spandex onto the suit pattern, and then saw the pattern together. I'm not sure what one would do with the gold parts, but I think metallic puffy paint would work well for the blue pieces.

I hope you guys get the gist of what I'm saying. I have only a little bit of experience sewing, and no experience either lycra/spandex

The14thDr likes this.
  15. MegaLEGOFilms

MegaLEGOFilms Well-Known Member

I see what you're thinking, but it would probably be easier and cheaper to make the suit from scratch using the mettalic soandex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Minh131

Minh131 Jr Member

IMG_5669.JPG i got this awesome red metallic spandex from spotlight

The14thDr likes this.
  17. doctorDWwho

doctorDWwho Sr Member

Haha honestly it's so complex of a design that I don't think I'd be able to draft a pattern from scratch. Also you would use the blue part for the completed costume.

18. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

They wouldn't put metal parts in a costume. These are fabricated many times over.. something moldable and castable. Likely a semirigid urethane for the shoulders. Softer urethane for the details, and of course a specialty ink screen printed fabric.

19. maffhewdc

maffhewdc Sr Member

I was talking about how the suit works in the movie universe where the technology can exist. In the real world, Tom wore a mo-cap suit so what we'll see in the movie is a fully CGI Spider-Man. Unless of course, they had a practical suit but I doubt it. What you mentioned is certainly possible though if a practical suit did exist.

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 12.09.12 PM.png

The14thDr likes this.
  20. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

A practical suit was made. Whether or not it was used and what it was used for? I don't know.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see one on promotional display with the other costumes as we get closer to the films release..

maffhewdc likes this.
  21. ManticsEnt

ManticsEnt Guest

Hey guys it looks like LEGO minifigs, which are notoriously accurate, suggest that Spidey will have his 4 iron spider legs on the suit. If that's the case, man are we gonna have a challenge ahead. 23966944_2000118856938370_697739088165339136_n.jpg

The14thDr, IronDan27 and harmfulAdam like this.
  22. thejakemoore

thejakemoore Well-Known Member

Do you have a source on that?

23. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

A trusted friend and co-worker mentioned work was being done on a "new" Spider-Man suit last January or so. I can only assume it was this new Iron Spider suit. That's the best answer I can give at the moment.

Anyways, sorry to disrupt the thread. Don't really have anything else to add I'm afraid!
    I will suggest this though, if anyone decides to replicate the suit.. another good way to approach the trim instead of urethane is a 6lb flexible foam. Pressure cast it and it will be almost as dense as urethane, but it will paint like foam.. much easier to do the chrome/silver accents IMO as I know folks have some trouble painting urethane rubber. It looks to be segmented frequently enough that you could break it into small enough pieces to fit in a decent sized pressure chamber. Just something I have been playing with lately..

Best of luck folks!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    The14thDr likes this.
  24. Minh131

Minh131 Jr Member

nice troll iron spider has 3 iron spider legs not 4...

25. ManticsEnt

ManticsEnt Guest

Oh please *******, thats just the Civil War comic book version you ****in know-it-all. The lego videogames, and marvel cartoons have four legs. That actually makes him a spider, 8 arms and legs, no ****in 7

26. maffhewdc

maffhewdc Sr Member

There were just three in the CW comic? I never noticed that. Dang. I always thought that it was four because it makes more sense

27. Minh131

Minh131 Jr Member

chill bruv no need to get all mad we're a community here i was just pointing something out based on actual facts and not lego remakes so my bad i dont play lego videogames

George and maffhewdc like this.
  28. Minh131

Minh131 Jr Member

and yes i understand that it will make more sense if it had four arms i believe that too but its not my fault that most depictions of him display him with three

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  29. The14thDr

Okay yeah, maybe ManticsEnt’s response was a little OTT (especially with all the swearing) but in all fairness you did call him a troll for simply posting one image. It doesn’t matter how many legs the Iron Spider has in the comics. For all any of us know they could’ve changed the number for Avengers.

30. doctorDWwho

doctorDWwho Sr Member

It's a fan made custom minifigure anyway, so it doesn't even matter guys

George, maffhewdc and The14thDr like this.
  31. Minh131

Minh131 Jr Member

I know which is exactly why i called him out on it cause he was implying that it was real

32. Minh131

Minh131 Jr Member

i know in the avengers they could change the number of legs (or not have it at all) but i was just calling that post a troll post (not him) and i thought it was funny, i didnt actually mean it then he took it a bit too far

The14thDr likes this.
  33. Minh131

Minh131 Jr Member

i just realized that you got that pic off this http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/avengers-infinity-war-lego-minifigures-reveal-new-costumes/ right? im pretty sure the pic that you used was fake (because even i the lego video games i saw that he didnt have the legs and like you said official lego minifigs are quite accurate) which means the pic in the article was fake. sorry for thinking that it was yours. next time i wont be so quick to say something and maybe next time you should go about things more calm

34. maffhewdc

maffhewdc Sr Member

We're all good here now. No need to further talk about the responses and whatever happened. Let's keep this thread about MCU Iron Spider.

The14thDr likes this.
  35. 5P1D3RM4N

5P1D3RM4N Active Member

I feel like the IW trailer shows off the red parts of the suit with a shine exclusive to metal... We'll probably end up being more. You can see how the web lines are visibly indented, which would be practically impossible with a fabric.

The CW Iron Spider did indeed have 3 legs.

maffhewdc likes this.
  36. doctorDWwho

doctorDWwho Sr Member

That's why I thought of quilting it with foam or some sort of interfacing.

5P1D3RM4N and Minh131 like this.
  37. Slimshadow457

Slimshadow457 Active Member

Alright, I'm starting this build as well. The plan SO FAR is: I'm getting a suit from ZZone, using the ArachnidStudios pattern, and then I will be using the zentai suit to pattern out all the panels, then I'd like to try to make them out of foam and wrap em in metallic reflective fabric. When that's done, I'll try to fix the metallic fabric-colored panels on the zentai suit.

We'll see how it goes. I ordered the suit off ZZone today, I'd love to let you all know how it goes ^^

38. maffhewdc

maffhewdc Sr Member

Here's the best closeup we have so far of the IW suit posted by Ryan Meinerding. Seems like it really will be near impossible to replicate that segmented armor look with fabric.

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 12.00.18 AM.png

George, 5P1D3RM4N and Minh131 like this.
  39. doctorDWwho

doctorDWwho Sr Member

Keep in mind this is art, the suit in screencaps of the trailer look smooth rather than textured, and for the life of me I can't see the triangle detailing in the trailer. Of course, the trailer version is most likely not even the finished product either

40. 5P1D3RM4N

5P1D3RM4N Active Member

I feel like the best option for this would be to use fabric, but it would have to be glued (or secured in some other way) to places like the faceshell, shoulder segments, etc, so it would be quite nearly impossible to have the fabric be one single piece.

Also, the Red/Gold/Dark Blue parts of the suit look separated, so maybe sewing it by color could work out?
    –5P1D3RM4N

41. Minh131

Minh131 Jr Member

new lego set images reveal the iron spider to have the four robotic legs, * we in for a treat now and sorry to the dude who i said was trolling. now its just a matter of time before we see it in action in alll its glory

42. Frixcon

Frixcon New Member

Turns out those images of the Lego Iron Spider were real.
    This is a leaked image from an upcoming lego set..
    LEGO-Infinity-War-3.png

43. doctorDWwho

doctorDWwho Sr Member

Well the figure posted originally is fake, so....
    But I can't wait for the next trailer or poster so we can see what they look like, how they're jointed etc.

Assuming the figure holds true to the movie one, I'm pretty disappointed that it has four legs rather than three. Yeah it makes more sense for "spider"-Man to have eight legs, but the three extra legs were cool and unique

44. Minh131

Minh131 Jr Member

glad you confirmed that

45. doctorDWwho

doctorDWwho Sr Member

Sorry, confirmed what?

46. Frixcon

Frixcon New Member

The existing Iron Spider lego minifigure already had 4 arms, while he was always supposed to have 3. They may have just used the existing part so they didn't have to make a new one. He could still be comic-accurate in the actual movie.

47. BobbyS95

BobbyS95 Well-Known Member

Spoilers -_-

48. Frixcon

Frixcon New Member

Sorry, but you're in a thread for a costume from an unreleased movie..Of course there's going to be minor spoilers to get that costume right.
    That being said, it barely shows anything that wasn't already publicly known.

The14thDr and JDVaughan17 like this.
  49. doctorDWwho

doctorDWwho Sr Member

Any progress on this? I'm considering taking this project on myself!

50. Slimshadow457

Slimshadow457 Active Member

Ordered the fabric like 2 months ago at my fabric shop, still hasn't come in. The ZZone suit is gonna take a while since they got Chinese New Years right now. So for now it's on hold ^^'