The Definitive Marvel's Daredevil thread

It's hard to keep track of because McDavid is changing products several times over without changing their product numbers/codes, but I believe the V-neck is older than the crew neck. As near as I can tell, this is the evolution of the 8800T:

V neck, hexagons, old logo
V neck, hexagons, new logo
Crew neck, hexagons, new logo
Crew neck, <M> icons, new logo

The 8840R has gone through the same iterations but without the V-neck ever being a part of it that I've seen.

That's pretty much it even thoug they called some of them 8800R as well.
Their reference system is such a mess . I've never seen that before with any manufacturer.

Last edited:
I dyed two pairs of the accurate G-star pants today, one sage (olive green) and one dune (tan). I used two bottles of liquid black RIT dye in a lobster pot with salt water heated over a hot plate. The sage came out perfect - black pants, black zipper backings, black thread! The tan pair will need some permanent black ink to finish the job. The material looks great, but the stitching is still lighter and the zipper backings only turned a dark grey/green. I'll get some pics of each.

Can you post some pics of each? I have the dune pair and want to dye them but afraid the stitching is going to look bad. I bought some iDye poly and have RIT dye, waiting for my tailor to adjust them but ready to do it... just curious to see how yours turned out. How did the buttons turn out?

@mydlyfe :

I've been meaning to post pics and will get to it soon! I can't speak to the iDye poly nor the usual RIT powder, but the RIT liquid black done in a boiled saltwater bath leaves the Dune stitching, zipper backing and buttons almost exactly their original color. The rubber G-star emblem sewn into the back just below the waist did turn black. They look VERY odd out of the dye bath, with their odd colors for accents and a ton of contrast stitching throughout. The sage pants took the color much better, dying everything black or at least dark charcoal grey.

To correct the Dune pants, I took a jumbo Sharpie to the zipper backs and buttons and then traced all of the stitching (there's so much of it on these pants!) with a fine point Sharpie. It took a few short sessions to hit all the stitching. I'm a self-employed dad though; if you've got longer free chunks of time you could do it in one go. They say setting sharpie on fabric with heat can help to make it more permanent, but I've never seen it drawn out of cloth without that treatment. To try for the ultimate permanence, I may hit it with a heat gun anyway before the first cold wash. The only area that I worry about is the button - it's such a thin layer of color that it could be scraped away. Perhaps it's worth replacing them with similar black buttons, or removing them to prime, paint and seal them properly. In any case, after the RIT dye and the Sharpie followup they look absolutely perfect!

Yeah but the current 8800T has a V-neck instead of the more screen accurate crew neck.
Yeah but it's quite a flat v-neck. i've done some tests with it and it is very easy to sow into a round-neck IMG_0433.JPGIMG_0432.JPG

Anyone know anywhere i can get the elbow pads from that's in or ships to the UK? I can't find them on eBay or Amazon and everywhere else is only us-based

hey guys, i think i have found the pants, the page is right it is the gstar 3d powel but i think they used at least 2 versions.
in the picture provided at the start of the thread where he draws his sticks before the nobu fight he uses these
http://www.amazon.com/G-Star-Raw-Po...F8&qid=1434968334&sr=8-6&keywords=gstar+powel (but these are sold out)
you can see the rectangular shape stitching above the lower right thigh pocket
but later he uses either
http://www.amazon.com/G-Star-Raw-Po...34956836&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=gstar+powel+3d (black)
or
http://www.amazon.com/G-Star-Raw-Po...id=1434956836&sr=8-10&keywords=gstar+powel+3d (raven)
or
http://www.amazon.com/G-star-Mens-P...qid=1434968777&sr=8-4&keywords=gstar+powel+3d (another raven but i think the pocket position is slightly different)

i cant decide which or the three is accurate

Do you have screen grabs to support the other pants? I only remember seeing the early version of the Powell 3D tapered pants - they're different from the current version in your first post. They changed the zipper placement/color and other small parts of the pattern. The most noticeable difference is the zip on the right thigh, which is now vertical rather than horizontal.

Do you have screen grabs to support the other pants? I only remember seeing the early version of the Powell 3D tapered pants - they're different from the current version in your first post. They changed the zipper placement/color and other small parts of the pattern. The most noticeable difference is the zip on the right thigh, which is now vertical rather than horizontal.

http://i.imgur.com/comxakc.jpg

if you look closely on the right leg, right next to the stitching on the thigh pocket, theres a flap of sorts that might be the zip going downwards but slightly hidden by the straps.

http://i.imgur.com/comxakc.jpg

if you look closely on the right leg, right next to the stitching on the thigh pocket, theres a flap of sorts that might be the zip going downwards but slightly hidden by the straps.

Nice image to demonstrate other pants! It looks like they're not the modern Powell Tapered though. The zipper on those would go next to that vertical "flap" on the left side and intersect with that horizontal seam above the holster strap:

Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 9.55.17 AM.png

Another pair of pants to ID!

The Powell 3D tapered pants in the link from TK256 are the updated Powell 3D tapered style, with vertical zip, less panels, black zippers. I'd assume they're the closest thing available for now, unless you're lucky enough to come across your size of the old ones and are willing to dye them - but they're also quite expensive for a close-enough pair. If we can positively ID them in any shots it'd be great because they are still available! I'd be surprised if both versions are in there, though - I assume the production used the ones that were current when they were designing the wardrobe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raven are the correct ones I believe of the G-Star combats. I got mine here:

https://www.zalando.co.uk/g-star-powel-solar-3d-tapered-trousers-grey-gs122e01f-c11.html

Is this site legit? The drop down list of sizes is showing pants with inseams of up to 38"? The color of these pants say grey. Also, I looked at a diff g-star pair of pants , and it said the model was 73.5" tall and was wearing 29x30... something sounds wrong about that :)

As far as your search, have you tried ebay.co.uk for the belt? I'm sure you can find it there or at least a generic black cotton web belt (they look pretty much identical). If you go to ebay.com, you can probably find international shipping for the elbow pads.

A few things that I've noticed about the pants prefixed with: 81105

1) C seems to be the version that people on here agree on.
2) However, the picture shown in the black suit gallery from post 1, and the picture you showed, shows that there is not a horizontal zipper on the right thigh (at least not in all pics)
3) C and D seem to have the same left pocket design. E has different seams for the left pocket. They all have a horizontal left zipper though
4) C and E seem to use the same material. D says to use a cross-hatch weave and probably has a different feel/look to it.
5) All 3 have different seams for the right side pocket. The zipper is only horizontal on C, and vertical/angled for D and E.
6)The pictures indicate that the darkness of the pants does not match the darkness of the shirt. "D" seems to be the least "black" out of the 3.

Are there any good pictures of the pants that show they are, in fact C and not D or E?

Update:
The following are the official g-star links to all 3. The first is the one we have as the official. The second (81105D) one is very close, though it appears to be a slightly different material (not sure how noticeable it is in person when not up close). The 3rd one (81156E) is the current one you can buy directly from g-star. The 2nd one you can find on ebay and a few websites and the first one (81105C) you may only be able to find them in dune possibly sage if you're lucky.

https://www.g-star.com/en_us/product/men/pants/21.141.81105C.5352.990

https://www.g-star.com/en_us/product/men/pants/21.142.81105D.6370.976

https://www.g-star.com/en_us/product/men/pants/21.151.81156E.5352.990

Given how current the 81156E is, I have doubts that it was used on the show.

Last edited:
I ended up ordering the 81156D in Raven and they just came in. So here's my findings. It does have the cross-hatch pattern (only visible up close) and the material has an overall different feel from the 81156C. The left hand side looks exactly the same, the right hand side pocket has the vertical/angled zipped and the overall pocket pattern is different.

If you're trying to go for as close as screen accurate as possible, here's my argument for getting the D style - especially if you can't find the C (and maybe even if you can find the C)
1) The pants have a lighter overall feel to them. They feel more mobile. I wanna say like parachute pants, but I don't really know what parachute pants feel like. I'll just say lighter weight - easier to move. The C feel heavier and closer to a pair of dockers than a pair of pants you'd fight crime in :)
2) The D style "Raven black" have a duller look color-wise which matches up to what we see in the pics (shirt definitely appears to be brighter than pants)
3) You can actually find these
4) Some pics out there suggest that he may in fact wear these in some scenes
5) The right leg is covered up by the holster so even if the pocket design is wrong, you cant see it.

Not exactly sure where you guys are getting the $500 from. The page I am looking at the price is $389 for full costume. Still not cheap, but better than $500. Kind of wish it was a bit more accurate to either his Netflix costume or his comic book one.
I'm not sure it £200+ here I've been looking at it closely and the material for the neck sections looks quite accurate wonder if they could do all the black in that material instead of pleather

I'm not sure it £200+ here I've been looking at it closely and the material for the neck sections looks quite accurate wonder if they could do all the black in that material instead of pleather

I think she does custom work, so it could not hurt to ask. I know at the very least I was able to send in my friend's measurements for the Captain America jacket and it came back to fit her perfectly.

For people having trouble with the black mask I think I've found one of the best ways to do it. I used an Under armor black balaclava.I didn't put it on all the way, just took the head part and pulled it over my face and the section that's suposed to go on your neck hangsin the back, and you can tie it. The great thing about this is you can reuse the balaclava for other cosplays.
http://imgur.com/gallery/k7FtqVK/new

I don't want to be a dick, but can you site any sources for the confirmed pieces?

Not that I don't trust you. I just don't want drop a crap-load of money unless I'm sure about what I'm getting.

Thanks

hi there i was looking up cloths for the black suit's mask and found this if you guys are on a budget but want to look close to the original i ordered this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ECKSKJW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it comes in a huge cloth wide enough for 2 masks if youre so incline the best part is that its comfortable and you can see through it with no problem and they cant see your eyes its the perfect cloth that i find and for 3 bucks total not a bad deal

Used this stuff to make my mask, turned out pretty much perfect. After fitting it to my head, I stitched it together along all the folds, so that way it was a permanent mask, and not just a bandana, which also allowed me to remove the excess material. It fits like a glove, and is as screen accurate as I could hope for.
I'll post pix when my suit is complete.

I don't want to be a dick, but can you site any sources for the confirmed pieces?

Not that I don't trust you. I just don't want drop a crap-load of money unless I'm sure about what I'm getting.

Thanks

This is a 31-page research thread. Everything you want to know is in there; the first post has been updated as the thread has developed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back