The definitive Iron Man Mark III **CHEST AND BACK pg 4**

coofunkcurly

Sr Member
I know, I know...I thought I was pretty sick of seeing IM lids as well. But this one has me pretty excited. :love

This is a personal project so please don't ask if we are selling them. There will be no Junkyard thread. I also will not respond to questions regarding origins of the files we used. Please respect that.

Been a long time coming and our 3D print had to be done twice but it's now in our hands. Ready for Finhead to put his finishing touches on it. Only issue is we don't have our bolts, cheeks, or eyes yet but we hope to resolve that soon. But even as it stands right now the accuracy is obvious. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves and keep this thread updated with progress. ;)

b408ddfe.jpg

55529175.jpg

e0248dfd.jpg

31be5768.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The definitive Iron Man Mark III helmet

Would be possible to know how much have you paid for the 3D printing?

Kevin will the helmet separate into three pieces? I see that there are two lines on top - is that for the face plate to slide up/down? Can't wait to see this finished!

Kevin will the helmet separate into three pieces? I see that there are two lines on top - is that for the face plate to slide up/down? Can't wait to see this finished!

4 pieces. Separate chin. ;) The lines on top have no real function.

Looking very nice!

Yep I agree it's one of the nicest prints I have ever seen. :)
And just like Our War Machine helmet there are so many little details that would never and could never be done without a print like this. After 4 different Ironman helmets I finally found the holy grail. :love

Here is a pic comparing to Finhead's last helmet. He actually got a lot of the details and dimensions remarkably close.

9a57bad7.jpg

Very cool looking lid, guys. I'm curious about the grooves the 3d printer put in the lid - like on the very top of the first set of shots. Do you just sand those out or do you need to fill those in a bit and then sand? I'm curious about what you have to do to maintain all that incredible detail. I ask because I have my first 3d prints arriving in a few days.

This is sweet! Subscribed!

Question about the 3D printing (which others have mentioned): it looks like the printing process adds a lot of "texture"; does this affect the details to a great extent?

The lower-end (affordable) "home printers" appear to produce models that look like sand sculpture. I'm sure these resolution problems will be resolved as things evolve.

Very cool looking lid, guys. I'm curious about the grooves the 3d printer put in the lid - like on the very top of the first set of shots. Do you just sand those out or do you need to fill those in a bit and then sand? I'm curious about what you have to do to maintain all that incredible detail. I ask because I have my first 3d prints arriving in a few days.

The groves that your seeing are not very deep at all really very faint just the way the camera makes it look. But no you can't sand this material it is very hard to work it doesn't even grind well. They will be filledd and smoothed over to "just" fill them, wont take much. The details you just have to watch as your working the piece make sure you don't fill em and if you do take it out. ;)

This is sweet! Subscribed!
Question about the 3D printing (which others have mentioned): it looks like the printing process adds a lot of "texture"; does this affect the details to a great extent?

The lower-end (affordable) "home printers" appear to produce models that look like sand sculpture. I'm sure these resolution problems will be resolved as things evolve.

As I said above these groves or texture are very faint and they are created by the file used, the higher res file the smoother you model will print. Really this is a nice smooth piece I've had a few that were not great, but this file was super smooth to start. ;) I believe the machine used to print this is one of the better ones out there, not 100% on that but it's far from a "home printer" for sure.

Any chance you boys could do a full detail on the inside of the faceplate?

I know that the MakerBot and similar extrusion printers pieces are pretty rough, but I found a guy who's developing a DIY high detail 3D printer (with plans to sell it as a kit).

Looking at the videos I can't figure out how it works, some kind of sorcery.

Thanks Wes and Pookie should be making progress on it soon. :)

Any chance you boys could do a full detail on the inside of the faceplate?

Don't think we will be doing a kit like that, just too many other projects on the go. Eli (Vash) has a kit like what your looking for give him a PM might cast you one up. ;)

Don't think we will be doing a kit like that, just too many other projects on the go. Eli (Vash) has a kit like what your looking for give him a PM might cast you one up. ;)

Sorry bud, I meant you guys should do a definitive helmet with full internals including all the faceplate details (greeble and stuff) as your own not a "for sale", with your ability to paint, the thing would look amazing!!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back