The Definitive Hawkeye "Avengers" Costume Thread

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Gee2, May 1, 2012.

1. Gee2

Gee2 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Although not as popular as Cap, or any of the other members… I thought I would throw together the info I’ve gathered on Hawkeye, or at least what I have up to this point and am working for my personal costume… Please feel free to add/correct as more accurate stuff is found.

Avengers

Boots
    Highlander Sympatec Forces Boot (discontinued, but available in UK 8, 12)Not Confirmed
    Custom leather gaiter w/ rear zipper
    Joe Rocket Super Street/Meteor/Sonic Boot Buckles

Pants
    HAWKEYE_pantsf.jpg (
    front)
    HAWKEYE_pantsb.jpg (back)

Main-Navy/Midnight Blue patterned stretch textile fabric
    Side and inner panels- Black nylon Cordura (1000D)
    Knees- Black nylon Cordura (1050D)
    Knee back-Black leather (smooth)
    Elastic straps- Left 1.5” non-rolled / Right 1.5" braided and .75” non-rolled
    Leg buckles- Left 1.5” Loop buckles/1.5" Double bar D Rings / Right 1.5”-.75” reducing buckle times 2 (one for the front and one for the back)
    2-1" Austrial pin slide lock buckle and a custom tooled leather piece (used as a mating buckle between the pants and vest) / 1" elastic strap non-rolled
    Belt Buckle-Side release with a center "nub"

Vest
    Burgundy panels- Keprotec (Kevlar/Cordura tensile)
    Shoulders- ? Looks to be a laminated vinyl or some plastic
    Buckles-Smaller versions of the belt buckle w/ 1" non-rolled elastic strap
    Upper panels/Lower panels and collar- Black nylon Cordura (1050D)
    “Kidney” ribbing / collar accent- Black leather matching the knee panel detail(smooth)
    Piping for the entire costume- Black leather non-corded (smooth)
    SHIELD medallion-urethane or PVC

Quiver

Custom 3D print w/ fabric details added or painted to match

Bow
    Hoyt Buffalo-heavily modded with 3D print detail, hinges/sight and elastic string

Armguard(s)
    2-Beiter Armguard Soft

Finger Tabs

Look to be custom?- black leather finger cups w/tan leather "dots" / black leather wrist cuff w/ 2 black line 24 snaps / maroon leather centerpiece attached to three hasps with black elastic

Age of Ultron

Boots
    They don’t look changed or modified other than the addition of the new Starkarrow tech that’s added to the outer portions of the boots.
    Bifida tread by Vibram
    Custom leather gaiter w/ rear zipper
    Joe Rocket Super Street/Meteor/Sonic Boot Buckles

Pants
    Again doesn’t look like a change to the pants. The material feels like rough cotton with asilicone or “rubber” feel to the striping that runs horizontal. I thought itmay be a dobby type fabric but cannot confirm.
    HAWKEYE_pantsf.jpg
    HAWKEYE_pantsb.jpg

Main-Navy/Midnight Blue
    Side and inner panels- Black nylon Cordura (1000D)
    Knees- Black nylon Cordura (1050D)
    Knee back-Black leather (smooth)
    Elastic straps- Left 1.5” non-rolled / Right 1.5" braided and .75”non-rolled
    Leg buckles- Left 1.5” Loop buckles/1.5" Double bar D Rings / Right1.5”-.75” reducing buckle times 2 (one for the front and one for the back)
    2-1" Austrial pin slide lock buckle and a custom tooled leather piece(used as a mating buckle between the pants and vest) / 1" elastic strapnon-rolled
    Belt Buckle-Side release with a center "nub"

Vest
    Burgundy panels- Keprotec (Kevlar/Cordura tensile)
    Shoulders- ? Looks to be a laminated vinyl or some plastic
    Buckles-Smaller versions of the belt buckle w/ 1" non-rolled elastic strap
    Upper panels/Lower panels and collar- Black nylon Cordura (1050D)
    “Kidney” ribbing / collar accent- Black leather matching the knee paneldetail(smooth)
    Piping for the entire costume- Black leather non-corded (smooth)
    No SHIELD medallion

Shirt
    Burgundy panels- similar to the Keprotec but looks “softer” with a 2 or 4way stretch.
    Strap buckles (forearms) similar to the vest buckles but much smaller(possibly the same as the Cap glove buckles)
    Black panels- Looks to be a Nylon Cordura
    Piping for the arms- Black leather non-corded (smooth)

Jacket (base)
    Burgundy panels-Keprotec (Kevlar/Cordura tensile)
    Black panels-Similar to the pants fabric but possibly more sheen
    Reducing buckles (biceps) same as right leg pants
    Piping for the entire piece- Black leather non-corded (smooth)

Quiver
    Custom 3D print

Bow
    Hoyt Gamemaster II with 3D print detail, hinges/sight and elastic string

Armguard(s)
    2-Beiter Armguard Soft

Finger Tabs

Black leather finger cups w / black leather wrist cuff

Hawkeye Avengers Age of Ultron costume.jpg

AvengersUltron Hawkeye film costume.jpg

Hawkeye costume detail Avengers Ultron.jpg

Avengers Age of Ultron Hawkeye costume.jpg

T6Q4MHp.png

hawkeye-clint-barton-jeremy-renner-avengers-2-age-of-ultron-new-costume.jpg

de68c4af8c801097e00603bfd99860ff.jpg

CA: Civil War...

HAWKEYE_pantsf.jpg

HAWKEYE_pantsb.jpg

Hawkeye Avengers Age of Ultron costume.jpg

AvengersUltron Hawkeye film costume.jpg

Hawkeye costume detail Avengers Ultron.jpg

Avengers Age of Ultron Hawkeye costume.jpg

T6Q4MHp.png

hawkeye-clint-barton-jeremy-renner-avengers-2-age-of-ultron-new-costume.jpg

de68c4af8c801097e00603bfd99860ff.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. Rdmaul

Rdmaul Well-Known Member

Dash maybe PM Stormleader, he made the Quiver and bow for the movie, and was around the costume alot maybe he could help you!

3. Gee2

Rdmaul, you rock! Will definitely hit him up for any tidbits!!!

4. Rdmaul

Rdmaul Well-Known Member

No Problemo, he told me hes been looking at concept art of Hawkeye for over a year

5. boshwan527

boshwan527 Member

6. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

Great information! Thanks for starting this.

If anyone has links to behind the scenes, documentaries, etc., post up the links.

I'm sure we'll have more info after the movie opens on Friday.

I hope he can give us some insight. I was thinking maybe the quiver could be made of fiberglass.

Anyone know of a good collaborative photo hosting site? That way any of us can add photos.

7. SWFreak

Here some good pic's I've found.
    The first one shows a close-up of the burgundy fabric on the vest.

8. Gee2

Last edited: May 2, 2012
    Swashbuckler likes this.
  9. SWFreak

Great pics! Some of those I haven't seen yet.

Something I just noticed, it looks like the vest and the pants are one piece. Notice there's no seam line at the hip?

Also, the strap/buckle that comes around under the arm looks like it's part of the quiver support.

10. terryr

terryr Sr Member

His main belt buckle looks like a cop-lok type. It has the 2 sides releases and an extra release in the center.
    Looks like an older squarer type though.

11. SWFreak

I think I'm on the right track for the hinge on the bow. It's a plastic hinge.

It's close, but not exact.

12. Gee2

On the vest/pants it's actually both, or at least that's what I've found. The outer panel on the pants is seamless and continues up the kidney/back panel of the vest, all the same material so one would think a "unitard/jumpsuit" type of garment. But in the 20 min behind the scenes I mentioned earlier, the entire panel is rolled up and secured by the hip straps on the pants and the vest is removed completely. It looks like a great way to keep the look of a one piece but have the convenience of removing the vest if needed. While putting together my pattern I'll just use Velcro under the panel for the vest portion to keep the seamless look and make it as close as possible without knowing exactly how they did it.

Also good eye on the quiver straps, they seem to just keep it in place during movement and serve no other purpose.

13. Gee2

Thought the same thing, but for the life of me I have not been able to find the right one. 8 days of searching the internet for every type of side release/quick release buckle for 3-4 hrs a day almost made my eyes bleed...

14. SWFreak

Dash, do you have the link to that youtube vid? I can't find it.

Has anyone had any luck finding the boots? I can't find them anywhere.

Why is it that every time I start a new costume project the shoes/boots are always the most expensive, hard to find item? (Aside from the bow in this case.) Just once, I wish the costume designer would pick something easy to find. Something where I could just go to the store and buy them.

Boots...it's always the boots!

15. SWFreak

Found some footage here at 1:40. You can see him without the vest.

Here's what I think is going on.
    [​IMG]

16. Gee2

I found 1 pair of size 8 (UK) here
    http://las-footwear.com/military.html

They'll be a bit tight but accurate...

17. Gee2

Not sure if that's going to work. I don't see the slide locks between the vest/pants doing any more than keeping the two together during movement. I would be more inclined to see a large "tab" on the quiver that fits into a slot on the vest and is then held in place by the underarm straps.
    But if it did work along the lines of what you're saying, I could see a "tab", two straps through slots in the back of vest, over the shoulders and attaching through the ribbing to the slide locks and then secured by the underarm straps?

18. SWFreak

Yep, that's what I was thinking.

19. thorneyboy

thorneyboy Well-Known Member

20. SWFreak

Yeah, I need a size 10 (UK). Darn my big feet.

21. SWFreak

Sunglasses - Oakley Split Jacket.

There are a few cheap replicas on-line in case you don't want to spend $200 for sunglasses.

22. terryr

terryr Sr Member

I looked around a bit myself. Bianchi has one close. Bianchi Model 7950 AccuMold Elite Duty Belt.

[​IMG]

Or maybe it's a fake. Just a common snap lock with a rectangle glued on.

23. Stormleader

Stormleader Well-Known Member

I can't answer any Avengers questions, because I would like to continue working. Sorry. :)

24. Rdmaul

Rdmaul Well-Known Member

:facepalm My bad guys for getting your hopes up

25. SWFreak

Totally understandable. It never hurts to ask.

26. venator

venator Member

Wonder what he's looking at.... :rolleyes :love

LorduDesign likes this.
  27. SWFreak

I've been analyzing the pic's I have of the quiver and came up with a quick sketch of the overall shape and details. Obviously the proportions and angles are off. But you get the general idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LorduDesign likes this.
  28. terryr

terryr Sr Member

I happened to see the buckle while watching the movie. The center looked very close to the Bianchi I linked in post #22. But the belt connection sides were different.

I wonder if they had an older model?

29. SWFreak

Got some new images of the quiver. And after seeing the movie I have a better idea of how it's put together. I'll be working on some more sketches and possibly a 3D model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Boxman430

Boxman430 New Member

Great reference pics and costume details.
    This'll come in really useful if I decide to go ahead with my Hawkeye costume :D

31. hoplite318

hoplite318 Member

Does anyone have any good shots of his other outfit - with the black vest?

32. Boxman430

Boxman430 New Member

I've got a couple of his Black vest

33. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

I don't know if you've seen this but there was a thread with a link to some super hi-res images of the Avengers, including Hawkeye. The images give you a really good look at the texture of the costume and looking at them I'd say that Hawkeye's costume is made from sort of nylon.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/hi-res-images-avengers-147448/

34. hoplite318

hoplite318 Member

Awesome, thanks. I think I'm going to do a quick and easy version of this costume to start with and to wear when I go to a friends Avengers-themed party later this month. The vest is close enough to the Blackhawk ITS HP vest:
    Blackhawk ITS HPFU V.2 Performance Vest

For the time being I'm just going to wear it with my regular black tactical pants. I've got an old compound bow that I'm going to paint black, and I've got a thigh holster for my Glock. Should be a good enough look for a quick build.

35. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

36. topherhunter

topherhunter Member

Hi Gang,

The holster looks like a Safariland; can't quite tell on the pistol, but I'm guessing either a glock (Black Widow has a Glock 23), or an HK P30 (the rear sights are fairly unique: a tapered wedge).

On the boots, I'm not convinced about the current call? The eyelets are silver, and there is a strip of leather below the laces (granted, that could be a custom addition). I remember the sole looking very much like a Vibram lug when watching the movie.

37. SWFreak

I think the boots are correct. However, the correct spelling is Highlander Sympatex Forces Boot.

It's this discontinued version

[​IMG]

Not the new version.

[​IMG]

38. topherhunter

topherhunter Member

Dang, you're right. The eyelets are still the wrong color, but that could be wear of the black paint.

The good news is that the Vibram lug is pretty common, so there might be a 90% match with an in-stock boot somewhere? Since so much is covered by the gaiter, and the toe is customized with the tab, matching the lug becomes the most critical part, I think?

39. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Here's the boot and buckle.

The buckle looks different in the movie and other shots, with a rectangular piece in the middle.

[​IMG]

The boot has been altered with the legging sown into it. Even so, the side leather looks different than the Sympatex Forces Boot.

[​IMG]

40. SWFreak

I think I'm only partially correct. Look at these closeups...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think it's the correct sole. But the eyelets are wrong. The screen boot has at least 7 eyelets. But the Sympatex boot has 6 eyelets and then the rings start.

41. SWFreak

O K, one last thing. According to the Vibram site, the sole is called #1375 Bifida and it's available on Carolina and Danner boot's. I just looked at everything on Carolina and Danner site's and didn't see anything.

Maybe you guys will have better luck.

42. Gee2

Fantastic close-ups!

A couple things that it looks like to me; the smaller underarm buckles look to be just smaller versions of the belt buckle, not the "V" types. The knees look to be the same as the nylon as the pants panels.

The boots, I'm still not convinced they're not the Highlanders; every other boot with the Vibram Bifida sole is not even close. Just an observation but the rings after the 6th eyelet look to match those on the finger tab. Not saying it's the rings that were removed and re-used but not entirely out of possibilities. :confused

43. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Vibram sells 20 million soles a year. So there must be the same sole on many boots. Once you start looking for boots you realize how many there are being sold.

44. topherhunter

topherhunter Member

Yeah, I went through 20 pages of Google links for 'vibram bifida' and didn't find the right boots yet. The soles are available separately as a repair piece, so it's conceivable they built the boots from scratch (though I really hope not!).

45. Gee2

Agreed, and after several weeks of following every lead for the correct sole with the approximation of the same boot I was inclined to believe they were completely fabricated from scratch or I was just "missing" something, but also taking into consideration the amount of other used of the shelf items it doesn't seem sensible (at least to me) that they would have started from scratch. But honestly at this point with knowing that they're discontinued and a true pain to get ordered if you can find them, it would probably just be a better scenario to order the sole and have some custom made or use a boot "base" and go from there. The pair I ordered should be in soon, I'll post pics and ideas on how to go about the gaiters for those interested.

46. SWFreak

You guys beat me to it.

I was thinking about this last night and I think we're chasing a ghost here.

I'm sure they used some base boot. But then all the custom work was done. Then a new sole was put on. The reason I think this is true, is because after all the extra leather was added to the surface of the base boot, it still tucks into the sole. If it was added to the surface of the boot with the sole already attached, there would be an edge where the leather meets the sole.

So to replicate these boots, here's what I'm thinking.
    *Find a base boot that matches what we can see, mainly the eyelets.
    *Have the sole removed.
    *Add all the custom leather work.
    *Have the correct sole attached.

The other option is to add the custom leather work to a boot that looks right and forget about the sole.

47. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

I think that option B would be the cheapest and easiest to do, besides, who's really going to be paying all that much attention to the soles of your boots? No one is going to go up to you and say, "Nice Hawkeye, except for the soles on your boots". People are going to see the whole get up and see Hawkeye and I bet that even people here won't notice the soles aren't correct unless they look at a picture of your costume at home and compare to pics of the real deal.

48. topherhunter

topherhunter Member

Hey, the boot pics in SWFreak's post changed. Anybody have the right ones?

49. SITHcamaro

SITHcamaro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Probably a moot pic, now that there are those really high res shots of the outfit.

50. SITHcamaro

SITHcamaro Well-Known Member

However, there is THIS!
    [​IMG]