The Definitive DC Extended Universe Batsuit Research Thread

I'm fairly positive it's the same texture, albeit with a bit less damage. And maybe darker.
tiretracks.png
Also on the fence about the fins, I don't see the new shape neither, but not sure about it, it's hard to tell !

Last edited:
I agree it's the same texture. Although maybe it's another run? The colour difference could also be the lighting and colour grading in that particular shot.

image.jpeg

You guys could be right about the gauntlets. Personally? I see what looks like a little wing off the fins like I mentioned but it's so difficult to tell. Wilkinson even mentioned a change from the straight shank, no? Perhaps on the "Tactical" Batsuit then?

image.jpeg
On the tire tread pattern, I phrased wrong perhaps? I'm not saying it's different. It definitely has the same pattern going on... I'm saying that it looks "sloppy." The BvS pattern was printed very neatly and had relatively even spacing.. Where as this suit feels just a little bit all over the place with the dots. To me it looks like the dots and lines on the JL suit are off angle in areas and in areas the lines don't even appear, where the BvS suit is very mechanical and evenly spaced.
Sloppy is really the best word I can think of to describe it if that makes sense?

Like I said though, I could be wrong on both accounts.

Last edited:
View attachment 647509

You guys could be right about the gauntlets. Personally? I see what looks like a little wing off the fins like I mentioned but it's so difficult to tell. Wilkinson even mentioned a change from the straight shank, no? Perhaps on the "Tactical" Batsuit then?

View attachment 647511
On the tire tread pattern, I phrased wrong perhaps? I'm not saying it's different. It definitely has the same pattern going on... I'm saying that it looks "sloppy." The BvS pattern was printed very neatly and had relatively even spacing.. Where as this suit feels just a little bit all over the place with the dots. To me it looks like the dots and lines on the JL suit are off angle in areas and in areas the lines don't even appear, where the BvS suit is very mechanical and evenly spaced.
Sloppy is really the best word I can think of to describe it if that makes sense?

Like I said though, I could be wrong on both accounts.
Yes i see what you mean about being sloppy, but hey atleast it will make it easier for those who replicate it by puff painting lol

Mr Mold Maker no you're right, it does look sloppier, and it also looks like instead of the right sections being mirrored from the right to the left, like on the BvS suit, it looks like they just turned the pattern around, you can see that the orientation of the tire tracks doesn't match the BvS suit on the left side of the suit. Less attention to details overall... But easier for me to replicate for screen printing, so there is that at least !

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's quite possibly a reprint/replica of the design. they undoubtably used all of the original run on suits between BvS and Suicide Squad, and with the revision of the suits probably needed more. and I totally see what you're saying on the fins, but I'm pretty sure it's just the movement and lighting. They may have changed it, but since the rest of the suit, save the cowl, is just the original suit with additions put onto it, it seems like an odd piece for them to have changed, when they could just modify the existing suit pieces as needed.

I found this from denofgeek. It explains the changes in the Batsuit. It's definitely a step backward that they want to emulate the Nolan suit. Basically, Ironhead Studios Jose Fernandez got pissed and apparently they can't use the formula for his cowl, which is why he's back to wearing Urethane and can't turn his neck again...also why he's going to make a "tactical suit" of uncovered plating. Sound familiar?

"Indeed, something of a rarity in superhero cinema, an entire workspace and garage on the Leavesden Studios lot outside of London has been appropriated as the one-stop shop for the most discerning of superheroes’ accoutering needs.

'We feel this is quite a unique scenario,' Wilkinson says through a microphone while wearing his own dapper pairing of red and gray. 'I don’t think any other major superhero films have done this before. Usually, you get your different vendors and you send one costume here and one costume there, you check in on them, and they come back, and you shoot them. Here, we had this amazing situation where we can create all of our costumes in-house.'

Presumably, Ben Affleck’s costume transitions are a little more elaborate given the ever adding layers to the uniform. Despite being mostly the same shape, if a bit thinner than his costume in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, the suit has undergone some subtle changes. The first major one to be noted by the naked eye is that it's a darker gray than what appeared in his previous film. Still more amusing is the cowl, which now enjoys a far more expressive and aggressive scowl. It should make Batman fiercer with a carved-in rage similar to Christian Bale’s later masks, but given the gray affectation and shorter ears of this universe’s Dark Knight, it reminded me of the eyebrows on the Adam West Batman suit. But you know, angrier.

The costume also has new armor plating derived from a carbon fiber weave that is discreetly hidden under the familiar mesh from the last movie.
However, what was more of a work in progress is the Batsuit that Affleck will don in the film’s third act. Still in the molding stage and painted black (it will be gray in the final film), the costume is described by the filmmakers as the “Tactical Batsuit.” It will be designed by Bruce and Alfred after they decide he needs more protection when going up against New Gods, which is apparent in its heavy strapping and unhidden carbon fiber plating and proud uses of leather. It also will come with, according to concept art, a carbon fiber cape and goggles for the eyes.

To Wilkinson, it is another fun reminder of the whitened eyes Batman has in the comics, with the idea of the goggles playing off the light during the climax of Justice League."

Last edited:
Well that's depressing. So they struck it dead on the money for BvS and then they messed it up. I'm floored that they went back to Urethane after how flexible and excellent the BvS cowl was.

Maybe they can turn his head though, no ? Just because it's urethane doesn't mean they haven't found a way to do it ! Although rewatching the trailer, when he talks to cyborg, it does look like he has a stiff neck... That would be a real shame !

Despite being mostly the same shape, if a bit thinner than his costume in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, the suit has undergone some subtle changes. The first major one to be noted by the naked eye is that it's a darker gray than what appeared in his previous film.
Is it really though ? I mean look at this pic from the BvS suit :
13781937_10153889565743869_8167804186291884099_n-2.jpg
Looks dark as well !

the company that did the BvS cowl didn't get credit for it and there was some controversy over between them and the studio I'm assuming. So they went with someone else..WB/DC'S loss. That cowl from ironhead was amazing.

Well that's depressing. So they struck it dead on the money for BvS and then they messed it up. I'm floored that they went back to Urethane after how flexible and excellent the BvS cowl was.

Plus they moved to England, and I imagine it was easier for them to just go with everything from one company, because often times things are outsourced in film without the third party being credited. Still, foolish move from a costume perspective.

Maybe they can turn his head though, no ? Just because it's urethane doesn't mean they haven't found a way to do it ! Although rewatching the trailer, when he talks to cyborg, it does look like he has a stiff neck... That would be a real shame !

He can't turn his neck. In fact, his whole body looks stiff now. The JL suit looks like a shoddy cosplay, barely even TV quality. Unbelievable that this is going to be used in a big budget tentpole film.

giphy.gif

You seem to be right about the cowl :unsure I understand they had a falling out with Ironhead, but it's weird they couldn't keep using the cowls they already have... I mean I don't know how WB works, but I would guess they owned everything Ironhead did, so they should still have the suits. Unless they were all damaged during BvS and SS, but all of them sounds unlikely... Plus I don't know how the IP system work in the US neither, but it would seem a bit strange that Ironhead could have protected the techniques to make the cowl and suit.... Plus they don't own the design, Wilkinson did it and WB owns it most likely, while Ironhead was subcontracted to make it ! Sucks they weren't credited, dick move from WB for sure, but this all seem shady as hell.

Back to actually replicating the suit haha. I am looking for a textured batman suit for a little on the cheaper side. I found a company on Facebook called LaochFX, who makes this beautiful textured suit but it's 500+ dollars. I'd also like to find an inexpensive muscle suit that is also accurate.

Batwillz, Kyiominai and me are working on a screen printed accurate fabric right now, but I can't guarantee it won't be much cheaper than 500$. I simply don't know yet. With that said, a really good muscle suit will run you quite high as well, unless you do it yourself. I believe EyeofSauron here made an excellent job doing one, although I don't know how much it cost him in raw materials.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back