The Death Warrior!

Justin1

Well, it's been a long time coming, but that time had to come eventually! Without any further delay, I present my take on Narin's Death Warrior! And by "my take," I really mean my take on a riff of a Joe Dunaway paintup. I mean, c'mon. The guy is the best! Hands down. It almost couldn't be helped. His paintups are absolutely a phenomanal and huge inspiration on me and on this piece. I just hope he doesn't mind. That being said, I really went for broke. I'm fairly confident that it's turned out the way I envisioned it. I just kept thinking to myself, "mean, mean, scary, badass," over and over, like a mantra. They were the traits I really wanted the predator to portray. The way I did certain things, I did because they're, honestly, a little frightening to me. The eyes are an example of this. All in all, I'm overwhelmed with the result, I feel like a lot of hard work's really paid off!

Feel free to leave comments, questions and ESPECIALLY criticisms! It's only my first finished buildup, so I know it's not perfect. Thanks a lot for looking and for following me through the long, arduous process. I appreciate all the support from everyone!

And if you'd like to see more, feel free to visit the gallery I've set up on Flickr. You can view the larger size with a little navigation, namely, by clicking on "All Sizes" over each picture, for those who are interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work Justin! Reminds me of a tiger, no a SABRETOOTH tiger. Very badass.

Hurry up and do that Bad Blood of yours.... I know you want to and I need more ideas to steal consider!

Wow, thanks so much, guys!

Mauro, you are too kind, sir! I can't wait to see how yours turns out, my friend.

Destroyer, you're right, I'd love to start it, but I unfortunately have a trad. art comission to do before I get back to the fun stuff. I'm going to try and do a better job doing in progress shots, after each new color, etc. etc. Maybe even some time lapse, we'll see!

ppfm, sure! The aliens were done the way JD suggests: stain/wash black, drybrush white, mottle with white, then misted with Burnt Umber, Mars Black and then shaded with Payne's Grey. I also did some handbrushed highlights with French Blue Gray. The goopy base was done in Mars Black and Hooker's Green, with random Yellow Oxide misted over the details before I put down the slimey looking epoxy. The predator's skin, however, was quite a nightmare. I restarted a couple of times, and it was a VERY long process getting to a point that I was happy with the paintjob at all, but the majory of what you're seeing is the following:

1.) Basecoated the entire figure in Parchment, a very pale green
2.) Misted Unbleached Titanium over the entire figure
3.) Started laying in Yellow Oxide over the "colored" areas, the backs of the arms, legs, torso, around the head
4.) Layed in Red Oxide over the previous color, blending a bit, letting the edges of the yellow stick out
5.) To darken the red, I brushed Burgundy over the Red Oxide
6.) Decided it STILL wasn't dark enough, I brushed Burnt Umber over all the red, trying to darken it a bit.
7.) Went back in to do all the spot patterning with slightly thinned Burnt Umber
8.) At this point, I discovered the wonderful mottling technique, and mottled Burnt Umber over the lighter areas, then mottled Soft White and Bleached Titanium over the BU to lighten and blend it a bit.
9.) Finally, I "mottled" Burnt Umber over all the red again to "lower" the spots a bit into the overall skin color.
10.) I finished up with various Citadel washes over the head and mouth and some of the more textured skin areas. Any random patches of color are the same colors I used previously (for example, Burgundy was brushed in between the brows)

ALL colors are Liquitex Artist brand acryllics, and all the skin color (except for the spots) was airbrushed on. I basically rediscovered how to airbush halfway through, so I'm still pretty unhappy with basically all the mottling work, but it looks good enough for me to call it done, lol. I hope that helps!

Thanks again!

I would say that about covers it. :lol:
Surprised you can remember all the steps as it is quite a process.
Seems as though Joe better watch out, Justin on the loose.

Thanks a lot, guys. Honestly, the response is pretty overwhelming!

crawjaw, JD's gonna hate me for that! lol

Justin I was just showing my partner your Death Warrior and she was gobsmacked. Must say again this is a superb piece of work. Looks as though you got the epoxy problem sorted out, or was that on another piece you were working on?

Jeez, guys, I'm blushing over here! lol

crawjaw, yeah, it was this piece I was dissatisfied with the epoxy finish on the domes, but I fabricated the drip off the one on the base, and I think that fixed that one. The one in his hand, I just used more epoxy, went slowly, and put on very little at a time so that it evened out naturally and came to a smoother finish.

Seriously, guys, I can't thank you enough. I'm pretty flabbergasted with the response to the piece... Definitely not what I was expecting, especially on my first piece, lol. Thanks so much!

Great work Justin~! Glad my article helped!!!!
I like the tiger-like skin colors you used...and would like to possibly use them on a future pred paint up...if thats cool with you?
keep up the good work and have fun with the Bad Blood.

Need....sleep....
Joe

Great work Justin~! Glad my article helped!!!!
I like the tiger-like skin colors you used...and would like to possibly use them on a future pred paint up...if thats cool with you?
keep up the good work and have fun with the Bad Blood.

Need....sleep....
Joe

Wow, I think I can die happy now, lol. Joe, you do whatever the hell you want! You're the king, we're the humble peons. I took a LOT of inspiration from your paintups, so I'd be more than honored if you took any from mine. And I'm having a blast painting the Bad Blood, I'm super stoked with how it's turning out so far. Thanks, Joe! Enjoy that rest, lol.

Love this peice. You did a bang up job on the armor and the skin is blended and faded perfectly.

It's stuff like this that inspires other people to do better. To have Joe ask if he can use it on one of his is flattering in itself.

Kudos to you sir

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back