The death of the 2001 Space Station

Joberg, here’s another one for you. Confirmation that the model‘s structure was constructed of metal.
0F415513-EF35-4457-B9DD-56F54C3883D0.jpeg
BFE2113D-DF69-443A-8F13-50DC53817A75.jpeg

Thanks mate! I gotta buy me those books ASAP! I knew that the whole thing was metal, but I din't know they had turned the entire tunnel, joining the 2 modules, in aluminium. Just gob smacked by the amount of work and skills displayed by these model makerso_O

Thanks mate! I gotta buy me those books ASAP! I knew that the whole thing was metal, but I din't know they had turned the entire tunnel, joining the 2 modules, in aluminium. Just gob smacked by the amount of work and skills displayed by these model makerso_O
Prices being asked by resellers for Volume 1 are insane but Volume 2 is currently still US$49.95 from the publishers: Collector's Guide Publishing home of Apogee Books (cgpublishing.com). That's all Volume 1 cost back when it first came out. Apogee are now asking US$245 for Volume 1, and I doubt you'll find it cheaper, but maybe they'll do a reprint one day?
Volume 2 isn't quite as good as the first (more interesting background/development info than useful detail) and both are frustrating for all the stuff they don't show - and printing so many images so small when the pages are so big.

Must have been agony cutting up that space station.

You could be lucky. Vol 1 was announced to have a special reissue by MIM since Sept. so fingers crossed that might happen soon.

Prices being asked by resellers for Volume 1 are insane but Volume 2 is currently still US$49.95 from the publishers: Collector's Guide Publishing home of Apogee Books (cgpublishing.com). That's all Volume 1 cost back when it first came out. Apogee are now asking US$245 for Volume 1, and I doubt you'll find it cheaper, but maybe they'll do a reprint one day?
Volume 2 isn't quite as good as the first (more interesting background/development info than useful detail) and both are frustrating for all the stuff they don't show - and printing so many images so small when the pages are so big.

Must have been agony cutting up that space station.
Thanks for the info macropod80 (y) and no regrets about the model...I know I will build a better one in the future;)

Joberg,
Apologies for bringing this up again but have you seen this discovery of part of the original Space Station 5 model. Didn’t believe it was genuine at first but Kurt Kuhn of Modelers Minatures and Magic seems to think so. Check their website.
I mean.... holy cow!

956AB338-B826-49E3-9442-16E7692FA68E.jpeg
24A6532E-0CF6-4CAB-AC01-0B91E21BE781.jpeg

Thanks for those vid grabs mate (y) (y) Yes, it`s the real one. According to Neil (nkg here on the board) they`ve asked the owner to lend it to the Stanley Kubrick expo...but the answer has been ``No`` so far. Maybe one day.;)

Thanks for those vid grabs mate (y) (y) Yes, it`s the real one. According to Neil (nkg here on the board) they`ve asked the owner to lend it to the Stanley Kubrick expo...but the answer has been ``No`` so far. Maybe one day.;)

You know I had a number of revelations in the past week, this was one and discovered more on my own project. All I can say or advise is that we should never fully believe “Hollywood canon “ on the history of models, props etc.

I guess where there’s money or vested interests involved, the barriers go up.

Last edited:
You know I had a number of revelations in the past week, this was one and discovered more on my own project. All I can say or advise is that we should never fully believe “Hollywood canon “ on the history of models, props etc.

I guess where there’s money or vested interests involved, the barriers go up.
Well, you have certainly some stories that are real, but you cannot confirm the source...some that are ear-say and not really true. 1964 is far away and I can excuse some recollections of past events. That said, some of those models couldn`t just be put in a car (8` Space Station, the 2 different scaled Discovery). I`m sure that the face/docking bay would`ve been an easier model to get ;) ;) :D and it seems that it`ll remain in a private collection:(

Yep. I agree with you. But the key words here are “fully believe” because the truth is always a bit fuzzy around the edges. Remember 1970’s Britain when the stuff was disposed/ dumped was a different place to what it is now. If you suddenly had a few boxes thrown into a field opposite a council estate , you can be sure they wouldn’t be there for long. There was also a box with a pod in it that was gone in an instant when it appeared in that field. I’d like to think that someday someone will turn up on the Antiques Roadshow and tell the story about when their Dad was young and living in a council estate in Boreham , he found this strange model in a field and had it in his attic for years. Ha,ha,ha!

I am delusional of course. But I remain eternally hopeful.
Stranger things have happened,
352BBF6B-5079-426C-8B28-8B61D44089B1.jpeg

Last edited:
I think someone should make a documentary about the space station and its whereabouts (I mean, this model was built solid and in aluminium for the love of Peteo_O!!) Placing posters around that neighborhood with the pic above saying: ``Did you take me in `73?`` Please call this phone number.;) Like you, I`m forever hopeful!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back