The death of the 2001 Space Station

joberg

Legendary Member
Well, after years of building and putting that model together, different circumstances have changed the outcome of what could have been done with that 7 footer model.
My GF/Wife and I will re-locate to another province to live and work in the near future. No need to say that it was impossible for me to move that behemoth:(
So here it is folks, having the same outcome as the original one: destroyed and going into the garbage next monday.

Attachments

• CIMG2824.JPG
    CIMG2824.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 485
  • CIMG2825.JPG
    CIMG2825.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 454
Well it looks much easier to pack in it's present state. You could also offer it up for sale or give it away, surely someone would take it.

Well it looks much easier to pack in it's present state. You could also offer it up for sale or give it away, surely someone would take it.
Taking it is the easy part...crating it is going to cost you an arm, a leg and a kidney:eek::eek::eek::eek: As I said, even for the Kubrick's exhibition, the crating/handling of this model would've been very, very expensive (my model wasn't that accurate and not ready to come apart that easily).

Wait...why am I missing.

Pretty sure I remember your original build thread years ago.

I’m sure someone will either store this for you, want to finish it, or love to have it.

Looks like it would be easy to pick up md transport in a car.

Joberg, while I agree with what the other folks have said that it’s a shame somebody could not have taken it off your hands, I suppose you have other more urgent priorities in moving to a new job/ city/ home. Hope it goes well for you ,
On the subject of the space station, this book might not have been published when you were building the model. First time those blueprints were published. Somewhere to start if you ever build it again.
6FA31554-BFF9-4B7D-AFD0-8633EABDC445.jpeg
59B0DD44-F442-44EE-BAA6-27A48366960A.jpeg

Last edited:
Joberg, while I agree with what the other folks have said that it’s a shame somebody could not have taken it off your hands, I suppose you have other more urgent priorities in moving to a new job/ city/ home. Hope it goes well for you ,
On the subject of the space station, this book might not have been published when you were building the model. First time those blueprints were published. Somewhere to start if you ever build it again.View attachment 1408889View attachment 1408897
Thanks for that pic...very helpful (y) As I suspected for years now and having seen the real one, abandoned in a field, the whole model was mainly done in a metal frame for strength. Yes, the next one will be half size (3 1/2 feet). It would be nice to have more detailed photos of the details/greeblies/widgets/nernies put by the model makers of the time;)

You probably have this book. This is the best image I have seen to date of the original model. There’s enough resolution there to enlarge and make a pretty good attempt of copying the details. I thought you did a pretty awesome job the first time.
57B50B8B-5D70-4548-8E83-D5B54D0344CE.jpeg
942FDE80-C323-4761-91DA-6233DE92A316.jpeg

That must be hard to say goodbye to. Best to you and wife in your move.
Not really, it's just a model after all...now, if I had had the real one there's no way I could've parted with it. I would've put a hole in the door frame and carted that model to my new location :D

You probably have this book. This is the best image I have seen to date of the original model. There’s enough resolution there to enlarge and make a pretty good attempt of copying the details. I thought you did a pretty awesome job the first time.View attachment 1408941View attachment 1408942
Yes, I have that one and I almost lost an eye looking at those details for 3 1/2 years...while having the Blue Danube music in my ears:D

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back