The DC Custom/Redesign Thread

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Captain Rogers, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Well-Known Member

Hello all! I'm starting this thread as a spin off of sorts to my Marvel one over in the Marvel section, you can check it out here if you want. It was requested that I make this thread so here we are. Basically this is a place to post any custom or redesigned versions of any DC characters. So whether you are doing a custom version of an existing outfit for a DC character or a complete redesign here is the place to post it. I have some designs in the works currently, most notably an Aquaman redesign that I will post upon completion. So without further ado let's get to designing and building a personalized DC universe!

springsteel likes this.
  2. gledar

gledar Active Member

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 3.06.53 PM.png

Heres a few ideas i had for batman, nightwing, and a doodle of what later became my Red Hood helmet. I'd love to tackle the batman helmet once i get better at foam crafting

BoosterGoldstar likes this.
  3. SeriousCosplays

SeriousCosplays New Member

Cap I love the Marvel redesign thread and I'm glad you did a dc one. I'll definitely add some designs later on

springsteel likes this.
  4. Captain Rogers

Those designs are sick! I seriously flipped over the Batman cowl. Please make this, it's too beautiful to not be in existence!

Thank you. I'm looking forward to seeing your designs.

5. springsteel

springsteel Well-Known Member

Thank you for the DC thread! I LOVE DC redesigns - (shameless plug) I'm currently working on an armored Hawkgirl and finished a warrior version of Wonder Woman last year.

IMG_3024.jpg Picture 4.5.png

Love your Batman, @gledar! The detail and texture looks awesome. My next plan is a custom Batgirl, probably with some TDK-inspired light armor (because I can't get enough of armor, apparently) and the same for a Batman Beyond suit. I'll have to rustle up some sketches this week!

Scarlet, BoosterGoldstar and Gojira like this.
  6. Gojira

Gojira New Member

Oh this is cool! Redesigns are my favorite! I recently finished a version of Batman Beyond.
    20150317_223410.jpg 20150317_223458.jpg
    And here's a sketch of a redesigned Batman armor from Dark Knight Returns that I'm about to start working on. And a Mr. Freeze that I'll build afterwards.
    20150317_185050.jpg 20150317_185855.jpg 20150317_190459.jpg 20150317_231810.jpg

Attached Files:

springsteel likes this.
  7. Captain Rogers

Happy to see you here! There is nothing shameless about showing off the awesomeness that is your armor builds. I'm really excited to see your take on Batgirl.

Thanks, I prefer redesigns because I can be my favorite characters with my own little flair. All your designs are awesome, and I'm a sucker for battle damage, so I am really looking forward to seeing the Dark Knight Returns armor!

Gojira and springsteel like this.
  8. Shrakakoom

Shrakakoom New Member

I recently completed the first version of my steampunk Admiral Aquaman redesign. Here are a couple of pics of the finished product:

1e-0413.jpg 1e-0446.jpg 1e-0450.jpg

305primus, springsteel and Gojira like this.
  9. Archer21

Archer21 Active Member

Gojira and springsteel like this.
  10. Captain Rogers

Awesome uniform and very unique. I never thought about a steampunk Aquaman before.

I really can't wait to see your suit! The design is awesome, and I get really stoked for villain builds because not as many people do them. Your thread was cool too by the way.

Archer21 likes this.
  11. ArmandDavid

ArmandDavid New Member

I sincerely apologize for requesting this thread and then taking so long to post, but better late than never.

Me and a good friend are currently working on a project (him being a good director, me being a decent writer and both of us being huge comic book nerds), I was in charge of production design, and even though we're still in pre-production, I couldn't help but start designing costumes for my favorite heroes and villains.

Keep in mind these are just concepts and can change drastically.

IMG_0458.JPG
    I really loved the idea of Supermans mom making his suit rather than him finding it. It really adds depth to the character, knowing he''s just a big ol' mama's boy

IMG_0457.JPG
    As you can tell, I'm a huge fan of the classic costumes. I want to keep the heroes identifiable. These are characters that don't need to introduce themselves when they walk into the room. But that definitely doesn't mean that I want to take away the functionality and practicality of their costumes. So I made her costume more of a breast-plate on top of a corset.

IMG_0455.JPG
    Darkseid has a lot of Mayan influence, which will be explained.

IMG_0456.JPG
    Same with the Parademons, looking more like egyptian scarabs, which will also be explained.

I have lots more, but those are just the ones I had on hand.I'll post more as I find them. I know for a fact, I have the bat-family, the superman family, and most of the justice league, and of course the legion of doom.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  12. Archer21

Archer21 Active Member

AWESOME! Especially Darksied, I never liked the Super-Undies on Superman or Batman even as a kid lol but if you can make it work then by all means props to you (get it? props? HA)

13. Captain Rogers

No need for apologies, I'm just glad you posted your designs. They are really awesome by the way, and it's funny that you mentioned the director and writer thing because that is something I do too. I have always intended to use some of my cosplay projects for fan films and such, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I really like the mayan vibe from Darkseid, it really suits him. I can't wait to see more!

14. gledar

gledar Active Member

Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 5.08.24 PM.png

Started thinking of doing an Arsenal cosplay to be worn next to my Red Hood. Now i have to find myself a friend willing to dress as Arsenal at AX...

15. Captain Rogers

Awesome design! I love group cosplays. I would go with you but I live in Michigan so that probably wouldn't work lol.

16. gledar

gledar Active Member

anything is possible if you believe! =D

17. Ladydetemps

Ladydetemps Jr Member

That is super cool. Love steampunk redesigns. I'm thinking of doing one myself....once I settle on a character. I'm thinking maybe posin ivy or harley quinn.
    DSCN6066PI.jpg
    I have the green bustleskirt and bodice...would just need to add trim, goggles and find a wig.

18. regisaugusto

regisaugusto Active Member

19. Il Princerino

Il Princerino Sr Member

20. Archer21

Archer21 Active Member

I posted this in my Reverse Flash thread but only got one answer so... uploadfromtaptalk1427415558912.jpg
    Which side looks better? Two bolts or three? Or left or right, however you wanna look at it.

21. Gojira

Gojira New Member

I say go with the the left side (the triple bolts). Plus if you end up not liking that initial bolt edge (at the top part) next to the buckle, you can probably cut it off/trim it down to look more like your two bolt design.

22. Archer21

Archer21 Active Member

Thanks Gojia!

23. Crazybug00

Crazybug00 Active Member

Not a huge fan of the the CW Flash bodysuit though I love the cowl. So if I were to make a suit I would use my Rocketeer Flash cowl and a custom body suit.

image.jpg

24. dog of ulthar

dog of ulthar Member

Man, I wasn't planning on going to AX this year, but...don't tempt me.

I could also bring my Nightwing and follow you around Disapproving of your Lifestyle :p

25. dog of ulthar

dog of ulthar Member

I agree with Cap; that Batman cowl needs to exist.

26. gledar

gledar Active Member

YOU DONT KNOW ME DICK ;-;

but actually, if you end up going to ax, shoot me a message so we can get some pics together! I loved you batgirl/nightwing build (though you haven't posted finished pictures yet!)

27. mistymills

mistymills Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't really have any sketches that I'll share because I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, but I'm working on viking Batgirl right now for Motor City Comic Con in May. Mostly because I want a giant freaking axe with the bat logo. My sister will be viking Poison Ivy with a leaf-tipped spear that I miiiiight be more excited about than I am about my axe, my best friend will be viking Supergirl and my nephew will be viking Joker.

adamrn63 likes this.
  28. dog of ulthar

dog of ulthar Member

thanks, I will! And the costumes, the Batgirl, and I are finally all in the same state, so I should have pictures soon.

- - - Updated - - -

That...is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've heard in a while and I love it.

mistymills likes this.
  29. mistymills

I'd say ridiculous is my middle name, but it's not. My parents went the boring route with 'Mae' instead. But I can pronounce it 'ridiculous' right? :)

I may have been drinking when I came up with the idea. I may have committed to it so hard that even sober it sounded fun.

Kids, don't talk cosplay over mead or suddenly viking ANYTHING sounds epic.

dog of ulthar likes this.
  30. 44arpeggios

44arpeggios New Member

I designed this robin costume about a year ago, and i still havnt started making it, but its practically become my life goal in terms of cosplay. I bought a whole lot of material for it too, but got stuck around the part where i realsed i need to know how to sow and work with material :/

[​IMG]

31. Crazybug00

Crazybug00 Active Member

32. ArmandDavid

ArmandDavid New Member

I refuse to let this thread die.

So something in the same vein as my DOJ Robin, I created a redesign of Aqualad (Garth) based off of Jason Momoas Aquaman redesign in the DCCU

IMG_0578.JPG
    Different tattoos and much more asymmetrical compared to Momoas because I took inspiration from his Tempest costume. I'd imagine the speedo be the same as the one in DOJ but in a blue and I'd have the armor piece be more red rather than gold.

dog of ulthar and springsteel like this.
  33. Captain Rogers

Hey guys just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about this thread. I have been really busy with school lately but that shouldn't be a problem in a few weeks. Also I am currently working on another project for a ren fest I am going to in August, but I will post my Aquaman design ASAP and start working on some other designs as well.

mistymills likes this.
  34. mistymills

Just found out a friend of mine is doing a Game of Thrones Aquaman with some friends, all variations on the Kingsguard armor from GoT. I'll post pictures of him in it when he's done.

35. merkymerx

merkymerx Active Member

Oh wow! It's cool that you did a DC thread as well, Captain Rogers! Thank you for doing so!

Great stuff everyone! Looking forward to seeing more of everyone's designs.

Here's my contribution. It was a concept for Wonder Woman that I had in my mind for a while. I've recently had some free time out of work so I went and and finished the piece.

Wonder_Woman_SQUARE_Final_resize.jpg

I really love seeing layered draped clothing on Greek statues. That became my starting point in building up the concept :)

Very much inspired as well by Sideshow's most recent Wonder Woman premium format statue.

Iggy likes this.
  36. Captain Rogers

It was my pleasure, thanks. Next week I finish the semester so I will be able to contribute more.

mistymills likes this.
  37. Iggy

Iggy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I really love this design. Very nice concept, and I think that it gives a nice kick back to historical dresses. Great job on this one. May have to use it sometime.

38. merkymerx

merkymerx Active Member

Thank you so much! Just the fact that you want to use it is such a huge compliment!

39. GothamsClown

GothamsClown New Member

I've been waiting to see a thread like this pop up and when it did Ive been too lazy to add in my two cents...lol...so heres what I've come up with so far for some redesigns:
    IMG_0785[1].JPG
    I came up with the look for my brother for last years NYCC. I was designed to give the Riddler a sort of "thuggish" look to him, with ended up being a great costume overall, and heres how it ended up looking the day of the convention:
    20141011_093345.jpg 20141011_110713.jpg Untitled.png

I think he looked awesome :D

20150422_223934.jpg

This is the new costume im coming up with for him this year. While not that much of a redesign, this is a Deathstroke that is a bit different than many of the other ones I've seen done on the site (which is just mostly Arkham Origins or Arrow)....so yeah, lol

40. Captain Rogers

Very awesome designs. That is a really interesting take on the Riddler. I can't wait to see your Deathstroke.

41. BoosterGoldstar

BoosterGoldstar Active Member

20150425_154251.jpg

I am trying to design myself a Booster Gold costume. Here is my design that I have so far. I am not sure how I will be doing the boots yet.

42. Captain Rogers

Very cool design. Booster Gold is someone you don't see a lot of cosplays of, so that will be cool.

43. BoosterGoldstar

Thanks Captain Rogers. Booster is one of my favorite characters. Plus I wear glasses, so it is an easy one for me to have work around them.

44. GothamsClown

GothamsClown New Member

Yeah I would love to see the finished product as well...very little love is shown here for less than popular characters

45. HyruleInfantry

HyruleInfantry Active Member

I am currently thinking of doing a Green Arrow with elements of Hawkeye. Such as the vest that Hawkeye wears with a hood and green coloring and the quiver with the bow. sounds stupid I know, but I need something I can wear in a parade and not burn up in. Almost died in my Red Hood costume last year in the Dragon Con parade.

46. BoosterGoldstar

And I am open to critiques and suggestions. I am very new to this sort of thing.

47. Ladydetemps

Ladydetemps Jr Member

That's cool. I like the concept. Will you be sewing it up?

DSCN5913.JPG
    I had an idea for a regency inspired wonder woman...as the regency fashions were inspired by the greek and roman classical fashions.

48. dog of ulthar

dog of ulthar Member

Oooh, I like this design a lot. I like it when people do armor without going full Dark Knight with a piece of foam for every muscle. Also, the pouches look good. I appreciate it when people work some functionality into a costume. Pockets are nice to have.

I wish I could give some advice on the boots...but I'm usually at a loss to design any kind of shoes. I usually go to a thrift store, see what I can find, and them improvise wildly.

49. BoosterGoldstar

Thanks DoU. I also don't like the armor for every single muscle either. And I definitely am a huge advocate for functionality in costumes as well. And with Booster, this allows for product endorsement items.

and with boots, i would love to get a hold of some motorcross type boots(but they are not cheap for just a costume) and recently I discovered these motorcycle boots.
    https://www.gore-tex.com/product/alpinestars-gran-torino-boot/1392583552091/

50. Captain Rogers

That doesn't sound stupid, that sounds awesome! I would love to see that design.

mistymills likes this.