The day I suited up for the first time.....Wow !

Endoskull1

Hi folks, well its now a week since I suited up for the first time ever, to hunt at Collectormania in Milton Keynes U.K. and what an amazing experience it was.
Here is a brief history of how it all came about.
I joined the Lair at the end of august 2010 and was instantly hooked, so a couple of months later I ended up ordering a Mander P1 suit from Craig at Hellkat Creations. After weeks and weeks of pestering him, it eventually arrived in a pretty dissapointing condition. It had obviously been assembled in a rush and I realised it would need a lot of work to turn it into the costume that I had dreamed of.
So I worked on tweeking and improving it in the evenings and at weekends and 6 months soon passed.
In April I spotted that Elpidia Carrillo would be attending and signing in the U.K. during May, so I became determined to meet her in character.

Its now 8.45am on saturday 28 May 2011 and I am in my hotel room fully suited, heart pounding, sweating, and to be honest, fairly terrified to open the door ! Had I come all this way only to fail at the last moment ?

No !!

I left my room and stepped into the lift that goes straight to the convention with my heart now trying to burst out of my chest OMG, OMG, OMG.
" Does the suit look ok ?"
" Will everyone laugh at me ?"

Here I go, now gasping for breath, and..... WOW, I was mobbed within 20 seconds by dozens of photo hungry Pred fans. What a rush !!!
It took me about 2 hours to work my way across the convention floor to the table where Elpidia would be signing and I looked up to find a hand written sign..... CANCELLED. She would "not be attending" it stated. Obviously I was gutted but I was getting such a buzz out of being photographed every few steps, that I worked the room for around 3 hours before taking a break back in the hotel.

The next morning I costumed up again and entered the convention to find it even more crowded. Again I was in demand every few steps and it was very flattering to be so well received by the visitors.
Half way round the room I looked over to see a large crowd had gathered at the spot where Elpidia would have been, and YES, YES, YES, she was there. Her flight had been delayed by 24 hours.

It was at this point that I was approached by Predwolf (Tony) in his Stormtrooper suit. He introduced himself and we agreed that we had to get some photos with her for the Lair.
These can be seen on his post here http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=24674

After we had done the photos and I had worked the room again, I went back to the hotel and de-suited so that i could return and meet Elpidia in person. I introduced myself to her as the person who had been in costume minutes before. She was very nice and expressed her gratitude to me for turning up as a Pred. I had a photo and spare Bio mask signed.
What a totally awesome weekend.
25 years after first watching the iconic first Predator movie, I am standing, in costume, next to an original cast member ! Bizzare !

So just a couple more things to say and then I will shut up...
Thanks to Tony (Predwolf) and his family,
Thanks to Elpidia for comming over,
Thanks to everyone who wanted a photo,
And most of all, thanks to everyone at the Lair for inspiring and educating me and making me yearn for my next hunt. Yes you get hot, yes you get jossled, yes its draining, but yes
it is a FANTASTIC experience !

Thanks again folks,
Phil.

that was great to read phill and was definatly a pleasure to meet you ,and im looking frward to do a troop with you one day!!!

Cheers Tony.
Planning ahead, I am going to suit up for Memorabilia at Birmingham NEC on 19th and 20th November for sure. I will give you a shout nearer the time to see if you fancy it.
All the best mate.
Phil.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Suiting up is such an awesome rush, nothing comes close to it.
I'm so glad you had the chance to meet her as a pred.

Long live the lair!!!

Andrew

Congratulations on your first hunt, and a pretty special one at that. And, of course, you didn't have to worry about anyone finding flaws in your suit or laughing at it. Any well-built Predator suit is so awesome that people will flock to it to take photos.

Speaking of which, are there any photos of you in the suit? I checked out predwolf's thread, but it looks like those are photos of him in the suit and you out of it. Let's see what your suit looks like.

Again, congratulations!

Hi there, it is me in the pred suit, and Predwolf is the one standing without a suit on. He came to the Con as a Stormtrooper as seen in one of the other pictures.
Cheers.

Here is another photo of me in my Pred suit with a "friend" that I met at the Con.

MePredator10_1_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How'd you do hours in a suit without dying of heat stroke?

Congrats on the great adventure. :)

I use my suit solely for fan films, and have never done a convention. I suppose it's something I should do at least once before I kick the bucket. :)

How'd you do hours in a suit without dying of heat stroke?

Congrats on the great adventure. :)

I use my suit solely for fan films, and have never done a convention. I suppose it's something I should do at least once before I kick the bucket. :)

I did get very hot inside the suit but it was only about 18 degrees that weekend so not too bad.
I was dripping when I stripped off but it was all worth it my friend.
Give it a try, its addictive.

Try wearing a Halo Master Chief suit straight for 8 1/2 hours, with no cooling system in the thing. In March, in Dallas,TX, I'm lucky enought that I've learn to regulate my body tempature so I did'nt sweat any at all, little painful though at a couple places where the upper part of my chest was biting my shoulder where the armor goes togehter. Looks like you had fun though. One of these days I'll own a Predator suit.

Try wearing a Halo Master Chief suit straight for 8 1/2 hours, with no cooling system in the thing. In March, in Dallas,TX, I'm lucky enought that I've learn to regulate my body tempature so I did'nt sweat any at all, little painful though at a couple places where the upper part of my chest was biting my shoulder where the armor goes togehter. Looks like you had fun though. One of these days I'll own a Predator suit.

Wow, thats dedication for sure. Congrats on coping so well. Respect !

Cheers Tony.
Planning ahead, I am going to suit up for Memorabilia at Birmingham NEC on 19th and 20th November for sure. I will give you a shout nearer the time to see if you fancy it.
All the best mate.
Phil.
hi phill thats the date i after aim for to finish my other suit,hopfully by then well have a few preds for the day!and if im not done ill come and keep a watch over you guys!roll on !!!! :)

Phil
Can I just say this post hit home! I myself ordered a Pred suit and it turned up...not soooo good. And am spending time fixing it up and replacing bits! I went to my first hunt in April and had the whole being swamped for photos experience and loved it too! But to meet a cast member and have such a great result like that and your suit looks AMAZING! Wow. All I can say is well done mate!
Kitty

Phil
Can I just say this post hit home! I myself ordered a Pred suit and it turned up...not soooo good. And am spending time fixing it up and replacing bits! I went to my first hunt in April and had the whole being swamped for photos experience and loved it too! But to meet a cast member and have such a great result like that and your suit looks AMAZING! Wow. All I can say is well done mate!
Kitty

Hi Kitty thanks for sharing your thoughts. When my suit first arrived, I was so gutted that I even contemplated dumping it and giving up on the whole idea.
However last weekend has made all the effort and repairs worthwhile a million fold !
Now I am sitting in my front room craving another outing.
Good luck on your next hunt.
Phil.

Congratulations, Endoskull. First let me say this - there is no reason for anyone to laugh at that suit - it's incredible. Secondly, props to you for not chickening out & going through with your plans to meet Elpidia. You've got a very successful hunt under your belt & a very special one at that.

Here's hoping you find a way to even top your next con visit!

Hi there, it is me in the pred suit, and Predwolf is the one standing without a suit on. He came to the Con as a Stormtrooper as seen in one of the other pictures.
Cheers.
Ah. Thanks for the clarification. And your suit looks awesome -- you had nothing to worry about. It's pretty much spot-on and looks like it was very well built.

i love reading these kinds of thread , still to this day i go through the same gambit of emotions as you did...it's quite the rush.

taxing BIGTIME on the body but......the high lasts for days.

well done and yes it's very addictive

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back