The Dark Tower (Book version) Roland Deschain (Finished Costume)

Jediknightandy

Hey All,
I just wanted to share my costume I made for Dublin Comic Con 2019.
I have been reading Stephen Kings Dark Tower series and have been inspired to do my own take on the costume, with influence from the artwork by Michael Whelan from the illustrated editions.
I wanted to try and achieve some realism in the costume by making it look old and scruffy as described in the books. The costume is supposed to represent sometime between 'the Drawing of the Three' and the 'Wastelands', where Roland is missing fingers and one of his guns has been given to his Ka-tet member 'Eddie'
IMG_20190810_194557.jpg Costume.jpg

I hand sewed the white shirt and the leather vest, starting with rough patterns found in a sewing shop. The shirt is a cotton linen blend and the waistcoat was very fine leather backed with cotton fabric. These were heavily weathered with real dirt that was dried in an oven so it would remove any creepy crawlies. the dirt was damped with Isopropyl alcohol so that it dried quickly and I could see the results immediatly. Water color paint was mixed up to a dark brown color to imitate dried blood from the wound on the hand.
The neckerchief is actually from an old Ikea pillowcase that my pet rabbit had chewed, leaving small holes in it.
The Jeans are just regular denim, soaked in tea (along with the white shirt) to take the bright color out of them and then rubbed with dirt.
The hat and the bag are actually genuine old leather items that my mother had sitting in the attic and was kind enough to donate to me.
costumeBits03.jpg costumeBits02.jpg CostumeBits01.jpg

The gun was 3D printed on my Ultimaker and painted with Alclad metallic paints. The model is a Colt Navy that I found online and scaled up 125% to make it a little oversized as described in the books. I fabricated some wooden handles to give it a more realistic finish than painted wood.
The holster was the biggest challenge, I found an old bag in a thrift store for 10euro, and used the old leather to make the holster. I looked at a lot of reference and came up with one of the holsters that can be swapped left to right handed easily. I found an amazing belt in the thrift store and just had to add some bullet holders. I 3D printed a bunch of bullets based on a very simple 3D model.
20190722_221338.jpg 20190808_213709.jpg 20190808_230008.jpg

This was a very enjoyable costume to wear, even though not many people recognized the character.
Thanks for looking!
Andrew

You should have been looking out for the Lobstrosities! Wonderful costume. I love these books although they make me cry every time I read them.

Hey All,
I just wanted to share my costume I made for Dublin Comic Con 2019.
I have been reading Stephen Kings Dark Tower series and have been inspired to do my own take on the costume, with influence from the artwork by Michael Whelan from the illustrated editions.
I wanted to try and achieve some realism in the costume by making it look old and scruffy as described in the books. The costume is supposed to represent sometime between 'the Drawing of the Three' and the 'Wastelands', where Roland is missing fingers and one of his guns has been given to his Ka-tet member 'Eddie'
View attachment 1047960 View attachment 1047956

I hand sewed the white shirt and the leather vest, starting with rough patterns found in a sewing shop. The shirt is a cotton linen blend and the waistcoat was very fine leather backed with cotton fabric. These were heavily weathered with real dirt that was dried in an oven so it would remove any creepy crawlies. the dirt was damped with Isopropyl alcohol so that it dried quickly and I could see the results immediatly. Water color paint was mixed up to a dark brown color to imitate dried blood from the wound on the hand.
The neckerchief is actually from an old Ikea pillowcase that my pet rabbit had chewed, leaving small holes in it.
The Jeans are just regular denim, soaked in tea (along with the white shirt) to take the bright color out of them and then rubbed with dirt.
The hat and the bag are actually genuine old leather items that my mother had sitting in the attic and was kind enough to donate to me.
View attachment 1047958 View attachment 1047957 View attachment 1047959

The gun was 3D printed on my Ultimaker and painted with Alclad metallic paints. The model is a Colt Navy that I found online and scaled up 125% to make it a little oversized as described in the books. I fabricated some wooden handles to give it a more realistic finish than painted wood.
The holster was the biggest challenge, I found an old bag in a thrift store for 10euro, and used the old leather to make the holster. I looked at a lot of reference and came up with one of the holsters that can be swapped left to right handed easily. I found an amazing belt in the thrift store and just had to add some bullet holders. I 3D printed a bunch of bullets based on a very simple 3D model.
View attachment 1047953 View attachment 1047954 View attachment 1047955

This was a very enjoyable costume to wear, even though not many people recognized the character.
Thanks for looking!
Andrew
Andrew, I joined this forum just to comment on your INCREDIBLE work!!!! I saw your post on r/thedarktower, but comments are closed. This simply blew me away! The bandaged lobstrosity wound is a perfect touch. Perhaps a wooden key on a leather thong around your neck would help other fans know who your are, if you wear this again. Roland is a hard character to differentiate from other US western gunfighters. The level of handicraft detail is so intense. The hand sewn shirt and vest are SO impressive. The holster is really beautiful,it looks incredibly authentic. I assume you looked at holsters and know how expensive they are. I'm also impressed with the 125% upscaled 3D Colt 1851 Navy .36. The weathered finish is spot on, I thought it was a black powder kit gun at first. I think the Colt Navy was a perfect choice, better than larger revolvers such as the Colt's dragoon or Walker. I also REALLY love the hat, it fits Roland much better than a traditional US "Cowboy" hat would. It looks like a traveller's or drovers hat, just PERFECT. I'm also a huge fan of Michael Wheelans art, his gunslinger will always be "the" Gunslinger, to me!

My only critique is about revolver; it should be a cartridge conversion, which has a fully bored out cylinder, removing the percussion cap nipples. (A cartridge conversion Remington 1858 .44, with a swing out cylinder, was used in the horrible **** DT movie. It's the only thing I liked about the film).
Anyway, it's a very minor detail most people wouldn't notice. I only mentioned it because I actually own a .38 spl Cinnamon reproduction Colt 1851 Richards Mason conversion. Thanks for sharing this costume, it's the best Roland I've ever seen. I couldn't have made this in 100 years. Cheers!

There's nothing more satisfying than a fantastic weathering job. Turns a good cosplay into an epic fantasy come to life.

OP hasn't been here is a while, hope he sees all this new feedback someday.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back