The Cut Above

csoldier

Thanks to HMS's query about this long OOP UK kit I have touched her up ( :roll: - with paint!!!) to bring this kit back to where it should be, on the display shelf.

I don't usually do repaints of damaged kits, but I'm glad I did, plus I added some ferns that were not on the original I made.

This is one of those 1/5th scale kits, that could be called 1/6th if you consider the victim to be a 1/6th scale character.

Originally released by Phantasy Recast (who sculpted original kits) and sculpted by Paul Pearson. Molds were I believe sold on, but I have had no news yet (for Ian) as to who may have them. The kit was being sold by the now defunct Star Wars Emporium.

This was casting No. 2 of a limited edition, but I don't recall an edition size being mentioned, and was released approximately 1995/6.

The netting is made from ladies fish-net tights (I'm just glad I had a wife at the time who could go in and by me a pair :mrgreen: )

ca2.jpg

ca4.jpg

ca1.jpg

I will accept a black predator with a long head with what looks like his brain showing and slanted red eyes, but when it comes to six mandibles on a pred, that is where I put my foot down.

But thats the only thing that erks me lol for the most part its a hella creative kit.

Wait.. why is his leg.. oh god... what is he doing to that orc?

;)

I will accept a black predator with a long head with what looks like his brain showing and slanted red eyes, but when it comes to six mandibles on a pred, that is where I put my foot down.

But thats the only thing that erks me lol for the most part its a hella creative kit.

Wait.. why is his leg.. oh god... what is he doing to that orc?

Your right, uh..is he trying to goose it? ;)

Yeah, I'm a little... unsure of what to make of this... What is it supposed to be exactly? That pred's a weird lookin dude. 6 mandibles and bushy eyebrows... The paint job is totally killer, but the sculpt is different from what I'm used to seeing.

Uuuuh... yeah. The paint app is nice, but the sculpture... not so much.

I do like the plasma caster though, but the Orc and Pred's head... eeek!

Thanks for sharing. That really takes me back several years. I am so old I remember that kit when it was new. When we would see tiny images in garage kit mags, we thought it was awesome. I don't recall seeing such detailed pics. It is very different / unique. It really is amazing how the sculpting in our hobby has improved over the years, i.e., Hot Toys, Narin, etc.

Thanks again.

Well.. since i already said it looked like the fly..
The kit itself is not so much of a WOW!
but the shoulder cannon is badass..

Glad you like it folks . The paint job actually takes away from the quality of the castings themselves (not necessarily the design) which were (for a UK kit) pretty dammned good, the dredlocks were my main gripe.

As to six mandibles, well it was different at the time, but I agree about the eyebrows o_O , a tad naff.

This is actually a Predator with **** so I guess whatever she is doing to the Alien I imagine it ain't 'goosing' it unless Predators are reversed engineered

The victim is not an orc, but was originally described as an alien victim - plus I am a Tolkien orc man, i.e. black skins not Games Workshop greens. I think had I painted it in this day and age with the experience that I have built up since this kit back in the mid nineties, I would not have gone for the green skin, but I was a newbie to this side of the hobby then :rolleyes:

To answer your question wolf-predator, no this wasn't a custom, but probably didn't find its way out of the UK much as I don't think the internet was around then; it was a limited edition, but I don't know how many the edition was limited to.

I personally don't go for the Predette designs as a rule as I think the high heels and muscle bound bodies that some sculptors go for just don't do it for me, but this, and and Predette 1 also by the same sculptor I did grab.

Big Thanks for sharin this kit mate!

I seem to remember seeing this kit advertised in the old Sci-Fi Modelers Mart many years ago (wish I'd kept those old issues:( ).Defo recall seeing it somewhere,but only small crappy quality B&W pics.I built and painted an argonauts P1 around the same era, the kit came from comet miniatures and I still have it somewhere.

Do you have pics of the other pred kit by this sculpter ,would love to see it.

Thanks again.......G

Big Thanks for sharin this kit mate!

I seem to remember seeing this kit advertised in the old Sci-Fi Modelers Mart many years ago (wish I'd kept those old issues:( ).Defo recall seeing it somewhere,but only small crappy quality B&W pics.I built and painted an argonauts P1 around the same era, the kit came from comet miniatures and I still have it somewhere.

Do you have pics of the other pred kit by this sculpter ,would love to see it.

Thanks again.......G

Hi Gecko,

try this link to predatorstuff.com

http://www.predatorstuff.com/gallery/image.../predetteii.jpg

By my own admission I would change some of the colours on the 'equipment' , and maybe take of the frilly stuff which I think was my lazy way of hiding some gaps. She is up in the loft and as I have given the Cut Above a slight repaint, I may try and do something with this one as well. The skull came with the kit, but I think the spinal column was an Airfix skeleton kit, and the split head is an Argonaughts (?) Terminator kit.

Paul Pearson also sculpted a kneeling Predette which I believe was for Comet Miniatures. I don't have this, but I will try and scan a photo and post it; it may also be on Dan's website under phantasy recast.

I remember the Argonaughts P1 with fond memories, it was the kit that got me away from military modellin and into GK's. I painted it for a local Beatties in Southampton when that company existed and sold decent kits - it was their property and there was a sort of 'deal' that I would get it when they finished it. I never saw it again :rolleyes: , but did manage to get an original again on ebay a couple of years ago.

I had never even heard of 'Predator' [the movie] at this stage o_O

The crappy ads were probably in Model & Collectors Mart which is where I first saw it advertised

Dave

Hi Gecko,

try this link to predatorstuff.com

http://www.predatorstuff.com/gallery/image.../predetteii.jpg

By my own admission I would change some of the colours on the 'equipment' , and maybe take of the frilly stuff which I think was my lazy way of hiding some gaps. She is up in the loft and as I have given the Cut Above a slight repaint, I may try and do something with this one as well. The skull came with the kit, but I think the spinal column was an Airfix skeleton kit, and the split head is an Argonaughts (?) Terminator kit.

Paul Pearson also sculpted a kneeling Predette which I believe was for Comet Miniatures. I don't have this, but I will try and scan a photo and post it; it may also be on Dan's website under phantasy recast.

I remember the Argonaughts P1 with fond memories, it was the kit that got me away from military modellin and into GK's. I painted it for a local Beatties in Southampton when that company existed and sold decent kits - it was their property and there was a sort of 'deal' that I would get it when they finished it. I never saw it again :rolleyes: , but did manage to get an original again on ebay a couple of years ago.

I had never even heard of 'Predator' [the movie] at this stage o_O

The crappy ads were probably in Model & Collectors Mart which is where I first saw it advertised

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply mate,much appreciated!

It's good to know someone else remembers the stuff I have vague memories of from time ago. The P1 kit was the first ever non airfix kit I built and prob my first ever vinyl kit too.

I'll check out Dans site again shortly,meanwhile heres a link I've been studying lately http://www.bucwheat.com/sl/pred/pred.htm defo brings back some memories.

Cheers...........G

Nice to see this kit made and finished. I've only seen a few turn up from time to time and never managed to snag one. I've got a few Predettes and the male sculpts by the same modeller. All come with seperate metal dreads and metal detailed additions.

Cheers for the link, and lo and behold
amaquest.jpg

This was the first of Paul Pearson's Predettes, for Comet I believe.

Nice One Dave,

I think I like this one the most tbh,the pose is nicely sculpted imo.
Shame comet don't do as much pred stuff, these days theres only 3 kits listed available o_O

Cheers.........G

Nice to see this kit made and finished. I've only seen a few turn up from time to time and never managed to snag one. I've got a few Predettes and the male sculpts by the same modeller. All come with seperate metal dreads and metal detailed additions.

Agreed mate,defo cool to see older kits again,especially ones I never got to see properly at the time.

The one predette kit I woefully regret not getting was this Escobar sculpt
p78.jpg

Any leads on finding this kit would be greatly appreciated

I have this A Cut Above kit. It is definitely original seeing as the worn box has Phantasy Recast on it. When I purchased it on eBay, and opened the shipping box, I emailed the guy and asked if he had sold me a recast. But it was obviously just a poor choice of names, considering the hobby's problems with recasters. I think I purchased it from Sassy Satellite before they disappeared. I believe that there were only like 20 or 25 of these made. Didn't Hogan's Bones also make a female Predator kit? I've got that one too, but I don't remember the maker exactly. I believe that my Cut Above kit will remain in the box for now. I think it may be more impressive that way. LOL

I have this A Cut Above kit. It is definitely original seeing as the worn box has Phantasy Recast on it. When I purchased it on eBay, and opened the shipping box, I emailed the guy and asked if he had sold me a recast. But it was obviously just a poor choice of names, considering the hobby's problems with recasters. I think I purchased it from Sassy Satellite before they disappeared. I believe that there were only like 20 or 25 of these made. Didn't Hogan's Bones also make a female Predator kit? I've got that one too, but I don't remember the maker exactly. I believe that my Cut Above kit will remain in the box for now. I think it may be more impressive that way. LOL

It would be even more impressive if it resided in Vancouver with me - no - REALLY!

The "Hogans Bones" female you refer to (sculpted by Bob Baggy) was called "To Die For" - STILL one of my fave Pred kits to this day. Dan's site has pics of one of the copies I own:

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back